Thread: Blood and other Build Engine games

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Blood and other Build Engine games

I noticed Blood was just released on gog.com. I heard a lot of good things about it back in the day but didn't have a computer that could run it. Yeah, sad, I know, my computer would have choked on Doom. I'm excited to be able to finally try it.

Anyone else have memories of playing this or other Build Engine games? I eventually did get my hands on Duke 3D and enjoyed it, but never got too far into it for some reason. What I saw of Shadow Warrior seemed intriguing with the humor, and I actually have Redneck Rampage and just haven't installed it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, LOTS of memories of these for me! I played Duke Nukem 3D endlessly back in the day, modded it to no end.

Blood is great, SW is great, Duke3D is beyond great, RR I never liked too much somehow.

There's a ton of others: NAM, Extreme Paintbrawl, Witchaven, Shatner's Tekwar, on and on the list goes.

I've been reviewing some of them recently to introduce them somewhat to new players, here's a couple of them:

Shadow Warrior - LGR Video Review

Blood - LGR Video Review
    PC Game Collector - DOS and beyond

Lazy Game Reviews

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    TurboArkhan

WELCOME TO KENS LABYRINTH!!!!!
    Aetherbyte: PC-Engine and more homebrew

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

These games on gog.com, are the controls fully configurable? Can I use a joystick instead of the keyboard?

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Um, well, not that I know of.

But you can use a program like XPadder to configure your joystick to work as a keyboard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

somewhere between the past and the future
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by shopkins View Post
    Anyone else have memories of playing this or other Build Engine games? I eventually did get my hands on Duke 3D and enjoyed it, but never got too far into it for some reason. What I saw of Shadow Warrior seemed intriguing with the humor, and I actually have Redneck Rampage and just haven't installed it.

I own what I consider the "Build Trilogy" which is Duke3D, Blood, & Shadow Warrior.

Duke3D is Duke. Love it because of *ACTUAL LOCATIONS* as opposed to the vague levels "Doom" had.

I would like to point out that that the people who made "NAM", started out by making a total conversion for Duke3D before they made NAM. I remember playing the TC, it was very good quality.

Blood gets the most play simply because the weapons in it are totally insane and fun to use. The dynamite & exploding hairspray are so much fun.

Shadow Warrior is funny, funnier than Duke3D, but the weapons are anemic. I could sit and quote this game all day long though.

"Eww, stink like dead baboon in here."

"Oh ho ho, sticky bomb like you!"

"You are weak as a baby fart, go live in fear"

Possibility is infinity! You must be satisfied!

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces. -The Sizz

Part of the #vbender crew Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Abstract Zero
    PSN
    Ze_roV
    Steam
    abstractzero

I played the crap out of Duke 3D, Shadow Warrior, and Ken's 3D Labyrinth. Blood was awesome too, but for whatever reason, I never played it quite as much.

Shadow Warrior got pretty advanced, with drivable vehicles in the game, and loads of humour. Blood had a lot of humour too, though kind of that dark humour where you laugh while enemies scream while they're on fire. Caleb's voice is awesome too.

--Zero

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I played a hellacious amount of Ken's Labryinth, too. Those bizarre enemies were very memorable.

My computer at the time was a 386 SX with 2MB of RAM, so when you go much past Ken's Labyrinth of Wolf 3D things started to get unplayable. It ran Blake Stone, for instance, but too slow and choppy in some places to be much fun. So I spent more time with the older and simpler ones.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Almost all of the Build engine games are worth playing, shy of TekWar and Nam. Even Nam's pseudo-sequel WW2 GI is worth a play-through. I especially recommend giving the first Witchaven a look. It's similar to Hexen in terms of combat but Witchaven also has bows and spells.

Coolest part of Witchaven for me in the old days was the fact that arrows stuck in walls once shot. That blew my mind and still does to a degree.

And it goes without saying that Blood is the shit. Shadow Warrior is a close second. Shadow Warrior is the only game I've ever seen in which enemies will eventually commit suicide if left in a state of severe wounding.
    Last edited by wyethin; 05-20-2010 at 12:04 PM. Reason: OCD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Exclamation

I tried out the first Witchaven recently...ugh, UGH.

BUILD games always feel a bit unsettling to me, for whatever reason. It's the slopes I think, mainly; it's also probably that many of the games I've played have wacked-out art as well. None of the BUILD games rank among my all-time favorite games, but they're alright. I think the Lithtech engine did better though

Anyway, out of the ones I've played:

Ken's Labyrinth: Someday I ought to try to play through the whole thing. It's interesting - like Wolf 3D with more insanity, i.e. musclebound dudes, and giant holes for hall-width bowling balls to fall into. Also, the slot machine

LameDuke: I actually had fun with this some years back. Sheep...there are sheep, right? Also wacky architecture.

Duke 3D: Needs no introduction. Seems a bit short these days though. It's hard to imagine it, but this was one of the first FPSes that had weapons that add strategy, though it wasn't all that balanced - it's usually faster just to shotgun things to death. But the holoduke, trip mines, shrink-ray (giant strippers! awesome) and freezer led the way to today, where we pretty much expect every new FPS to add some revelatory gameplay mechanic. Also, a rapid-fire swarm rocket launcher, awesome. Definitely a step up from Rise of the Triad.

Shadow Warrior: Pretty decent! Actually has some vehicles, awesome. The multiplayer race map is a cool idea too.

Blood: Haven't played all that much of it, also uses voxel models like Shadow Warrior. The character kind of annoys me, but the game is kind of interesting.

Redneck Rampage: The original is pretty cool, and makes good use of the limited inventory slots, and oh god the asylum song. There are some cool moments in here.

Redneck Rampage Route 66: Crummy and lo-rent compared to other Rampages. Not horrible though.

Redneck Rampage Rides Again: Feels like a full-on sequel to the original, with great new scenes, time travel (sort of), all kinds of good stuff.

Witchaven: I haven't played much of this because my plastic spork broke at the beginning. Weird ineffective UI, ugly clay enemies, other stuff. The movies are kind of neat though.

Witchaven 2: Again haven't played much of it.

Nam / Tek War / WW 2 GI - haven't gotten these to work.

Finally, I think I have a copy of Napalm somewhere around here. Pretty sure that's a BUILD game too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    TurboArkhan

I played and still play a ridiculous amount of Blood.

That game is priceless and amazing.
    Aetherbyte: PC-Engine and more homebrew

Arcade Card Compatible Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro View Post
    Finally, I think I have a copy of Napalm somewhere around here. Pretty sure that's a BUILD game too.
    Napalm is just NAM with a different name slapped on it, no idea why they did that. Other than the name change it's the exact same game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Might as well mention Legend of the Seven Paladins if you're going to be thorough.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Arcade Card Compatible Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho View Post
    Might as well mention Legend of the Seven Paladins if you're going to be thorough.
    Is that the one that was made by a Chinese software company that only a demo was ever made for?

Strawberry (Level 2) cityside75's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I still have my Blood disk somewhere, I loved that game back in the day but my tastes have moved away from PC Gaming.

I wonder why they never ported any other Build games beside Duke to the consoles? These days I'd love to have a console version of Blood. I'd LOVE to see a modder make an attempt at porting Blood over to the Playstation or N64, maybe using the Duke 3d engine on those consoles.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by todesengel View Post
    Is that the one that was made by a Chinese software company that only a demo was ever made for?
    Yup, they did not have a license to use the engine. It was not my understanding that the full game was unavailable.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho View Post
    I didn't mention that one on purpose. Don't get me wrong - I haven't played it, so I can't form an opinion, but it seems that not having been fully developed is going to be an impediment to its enjoyability. I don't know if I mentioned TekWar either; never played that one, either.