Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What do you like in Genesis games?

Apple (Level 5) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well it is the first Strider game I have played and owned, infact its the only Strider game I own. and I did enjoy it.
    What's up with islands? Get more land.
    What's up with deserts? Get less sand.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Urzu402 View Post
    Well it is the first Strider game I have played and owned, infact its the only Strider game I own. and I did enjoy it.
    You might want to check out the original Strider on Genesis then. One of the best ports.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

*Adds Strider to list

My list of games to get is now:

Ranger-X
    Shadow Dancer
    Strider
    Batman & Robin
    Sunset Riders
    Dinosaurs for Hire
    Last edited by Urzu402; 04-24-2010 at 08:28 PM.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

I bet you would like Sunset Riders, although the SNES version is better. If you like sidescrolling shmups with a medium difficulty level I'd say Insector X is fun. Truxton is also a harder vertical scrolling shmup that I liked.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mobiusclimber View Post
    If you like RPGs the best ones on the system are:

Phantasy Star II-IV (III is the red-headed step-child)
    Shining in the Darkness
    Landstalker (ARPG)
    Shining Force I & II (SRPG)
    Shadowrun (ARPG)
    D&D Warriors of the Eternal Sun
    Might & Magic
    Master of Monsters (SRPG)
    Crusader of Centy (ARPG)
    Beyond Oasis (ARPG)
    Why must everyone rag on Phantasy Star III? = (

Pac-Man (Level 10) mobiusclimber's Avatar
    Up In Your Bitch Is Where You Might Find Me
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Voliko View Post
    It isn't as good as the rest of the series? ;P I like it, but it's a bit bland, frankly. PSII had the best story, PSIV had the best system (with the vehicles, jobs, and battle engine)... only thing PSIII has going for it is the generational thing, and just isn't as cool or engaging as it should be. It's still a good RPG and worth playing, especially on a system starved for them, but it's practically Mystic Quest level. Not top tier at all.
    My DP Feedback Thread: Here!
    I Post On The Blog At RisingStuff.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't like Shmups very much, mainly because I suck at them both horizontal and vertical ones. I mainly like run & gun and sidescrolling platforming

Strawberry (Level 2) allyourblood's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't like Shmups very much, mainly because I suck at them both horizontal and vertical ones. I mainly like run & gun and sidescrolling platforming
    I'm horrible at them and it's still one of my favorite genres.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hmmm Sunset Riders looks good *adds to list
    But why is it so darn expensive?

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

The two other run & gun games I have are Robocop vs. Terminator and Dinosaurs for Hire. The Robocop one is definitely better but the Dinosaurs with guns idea is pretty funny.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow Dinosaurs for Hire looks pretty awesome, Dinosaurs with guns is one kick ass concept *adds to list.

Now about Robocop VS Terminator, I own the GB port and I Guess its good, I can see how a 16 bit version would be better. Not Sure on this one.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rickstilwell1 View Post
    I bet you would like Sunset Riders, although the SNES version is better. If you like sidescrolling shmups with a medium difficulty level I'd say Insector X is fun. Truxton is also a harder vertical scrolling shmup that I liked.
    Insector X uses a really cheap tactic (that a lot of shooters use) to ramp up the difficulty. Once you've powered up so much, the game because harder because the enemies leave projectiles behind when they're destroyed. This wouldn't be an issue if there wasn't a stage later in the game where you have to fly down a narrow corridor that doesn't have any room to maneuver, and if you don't refrain from being powered up until that (late) point in the game, your fate is sealed -- at least for that life anyway, because you have to kill the enemies that appear in front of you in the corridor. That's my only real gripe which the game. Well, that and the bland static backgrounds with no parallax scrolling or animation or anything to spice them up a little.

Quote Originally Posted by Voliko View Post
    Because it's weak. If it wasn't a Phantasy Star game it might get more of a pass, but since it is a Phantasy Star title it gets judged a lot harsher. It's like Silent Hill 4: The Room. Definitely the black sheep of the series.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

PSIII. but it's practically Mystic Quest level. Not top tier at all.
    But Mystic Quest is actually good.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mobiusclimber's Avatar
    Up In Your Bitch Is Where You Might Find Me
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    But Mystic Quest is actually good.
    PSIII is actually good too, but much like Mystic Quest doesn't hold up against FF3 or 4, PSIII doesn't hold up against PSII or IV.
    My DP Feedback Thread: Here!
    I Post On The Blog At RisingStuff.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    TurboArkhan

I like both PSIII and Mystic Quest

F*** all the haters!

Mystic Quest had some fun dungeons and music.

and PS3, man, that game was soothing.
    Aetherbyte: PC-Engine and more homebrew

Strawberry (Level 2) allyourblood's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

PSIII is actually good too, but much like Mystic Quest doesn't hold up against FF3 or 4, PSIII doesn't hold up against PSII or IV.
    Well, then let's drag Silent Hill 4 into this too, since Emperor mentioned earlier. Personally, I find that it doesn't fully qualify as a true Silent Hill entry, but on its own, it's a pretty good game. Just not 1, 2, or 3 good.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I agree with the following games mentioned:

Ranger-X
    Shadow Dancer
    Strider
    Batman & Robin
    Sunset Riders

All brill games worth adding to your colection. Here are my games that I enjoy and are mostly exclusive to the Genesis library:

Alien 3: Different game from the SNES. I liked the atmoshpere in the game. It does mix action with exploration of the level. You basically go around saving prisoners while blasting the Aliens. When you do rescue all the prisoners, you must find the exit to the level. All of this within a time limit.

Alisia Dragoon: IMHO, an overlooked platformer/shooter. Fun game. I really enjoyed the art style and the music was quite good for the Genesis. The only thing problem being that it is a little more difficult to find as I don't believe it sold very well when first released.

Rambo 3: I'll say that it is a short game, but I enjoyed playing it. It mixes ups play styles a bit. Essentially you go around blowing stuff up and saving prisoners and such.

Dick Tracy: A side-scrolling Shooter. You can use your fist, gun or even a tommy gun to take out enemies in the background. Some people like this one, some people don't. I enjoyed it so I will say, check it out

Rolling Thunder Part 2 & 3: Part 2 was ported from the arcade and is a quite faithful to it's arcade counterpart. Part 3 was exclusive to the Genesis. A good run and gun series worth checking out.

Arcade ports with checking out:

Mercs: You can get this game on the Capcom Collection pack on the PS2 and Xbox. However, it does contain an "Orginal mode" exclusive to the Genesis version. Basically it is a whole new game. During the course of the game, you can save prisoners and then later choose to use them on the fly. So if you want to use the flamethrower guy, just pause the game and make the switch.

Two Crude Dudes: Arcade port made by the same people that made Bad Dudes (Data East). Only I thought this was better. Not only can you punch, kick and grab your adversaries, you can also pick up tons of different weapons and lots of parts of the environment to throw at them too.

Midnight Resistence: Run and Gun game made also by Data East (Arcade port). Basically like Contra.

Crackdown: Another good arcade port. It's a top view action game where you go around shooting things and difusing bombs within a time limit. The graphics are small, but I think this is good game worth checking out.

Worth mentioning, check out the Splatterhouse series on the Genesis (Parts 2 & 3). Part 3 is more like Final Fight with mulitple paths to get to the bosses. Also, if you liked Rocket Knight, check out it's sequel Sparkster.

Edit: Forgot to add ESWAT. It is based off of an older Sega Arcade game. However, this is an entirely different game. It is short though. You start out as a simple cop in uniform and then after completing the first 2 levels you put on a cool Robocop like suit in which you can pick up some more powerful weapons to blast the baddies. You can even hover around for a bit with your special suit. The last level in particular you must use this mechanic to make it to the end boss.
    Last edited by pato; 04-25-2010 at 11:16 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

As pato touched on, Alisia Dragoon is a little known, often over looked title that's worth checking out. If you enjoy Mystic Defender, than you may enjoy Alisia Dragoon as well. They have a similar quick-select, charged magic attack system and a similar theme. Crack Down is also a pretty fun little title. I don't have the Genesis version, but I was a big fan of the original arcade game, and if the Genesis version is even half as good it's a worthwhile acquisition.

Also, all of the Genesis games I've played that were developed by Virgin Interactive (Cool Spot, Disney's Aladdin, and Mick and Mack as the Global Gladiators) have excellent graphic, animation and gameplay.

If you're something of an Anime fan you'll probably enjoy some of the Genesis titles released by Renovation. Most of the titles they developed and/or published have a distinctive Japanese game aesthetic that I really dug back in the day (and still do). Some interesting Reno titles are:

Elemental Master - Developed by TechoSoft, this game is the spiritual successor to Thunder Force III. It's a top down vertical scrolling shooter where you control a sorcerer who uses elemental magic (earth, fire, wind, water and light) to dispatch hordes of enemies in element themed stages which you select the order of. You start of with only rapid firing 'light' shots and gain a new elemental magic ability, unique to each boss that you defeat (not unlike Mega Man), until you've acquired all 5 powers, and proceed to the final stages which have a preselected order. You can fire both forward and behind you, and can switch freely between magics throughout the stage. Each elemental magic has a rapid firing attack mode and a devastating, unlimited, secondary charge attack function.

IIRC, one of the boss villains, Salome, has laughable huge boobs in the cut scenes. I'm not sure why I remember that so vividly or felt it worth mentioning.

Final Zone - An isometric mecha shooter where you advance from stage to stage across war ravaged landscape. You have a set amount of enemies to destroy each stage, followed by a boss encounter. It's not a spectacular title by any account, but it has a moody, ambient soundtrack that I love, and the game sports a very cool and unique weapon system where each of your many stock weapons (which are gained by defeating random item droids) also double as shield units. So every time you take damage, you lose one or two reserve weapons. This makes you plan out which weapons you set as low teir, since they'll be the first you'll lose when you take damage. Also, each weapon that you collect has 2 different attack configurations depending on if it's set as a primary or a secondary weapon. Most of the fun is discovering how each weapon performs in primary and secondary mode, and learning which are worth using in either mode and which are garbage. I wish other games used Final Zone's weapon/shield system.

It's also worth noting that the sequel, Final Zone II, is one of the most unintentionally hilarious titles in the Turbo Grafx CD library, due to its EPIC dialog and delayed deadpan delivery. You can never unlearn such gems as "Let me show them some fancy action, NOOOOW", and "If you hate me SOOO much...shoot me...with your gun". Believe me, your life will me all the more fulfilled for having experienced it.

Gaiares - One of the best shoot 'em ups on the system, and of all time, IMO. Excellent music, gorgeous and imaginative enemies and level designs with multiple paths, and an extremely fun and satisfying weapons upgrading system. You command an indestructible R-type'eque option called the TOZ to shield you from enemy fire and to capture/learn weapons from virtually any emeny on the game, including bosses, which are mostly screen sized, and beautifully detailed. The are over 20 unique weapons to capture and upgrade, and like many of the Telenet/Renovation games the story is bookmarked by cool little Anime cinema scenes. The game is said to be notoriously difficult, though I have little trouble completing it on a single life, and it always feels satisfying every play through.

The Valis series (Valis, Syd of Valis, Valis III) - One of my favorite action platforming series'. You play as a Japanese school girl name Yuko who discovers that she's the daughter of an otherworldly queen of the Dream World, Vecanti, which is under attack by creatures from the alternate Spirit World. You use a magical sword called the Sword of Valis (pronounced Varis) to hack and slash your way though several levels of freaky Anime style demons and boss creatures. I say hack and slash, but the sword also uses projectile attacks (homing beam, wide shot, etc.), which are upgradable. Valis is the culmination of nearly every stereotype you've come to expect from a late 80 early 90's era magical girl type Anime. A sword wielding magic using heroine from another world, fighting demons in a school girl's uniform and skimpy armour designed to titillate onlookers more than protect the wearer (it's no surprise the series was resurrected as a hentai game for the PC, years later). My handle and avatar pic are of the boss enemy from the second installment of the series. The Genesis version of Valis II is actually a quirky, Super Deformed version of the game called Syd of Valis (or the more aptly named SD Valis for the Megadrive). While I dig it, you might want to skip that one.

A few others Renovation titles worth checking out are:

Arcus Odyssey - Top down action game
    El Viento - Action platformer
    Granada - Top down tank shooter
    Sol-Deace - Side scrolling shoot 'em up

Target Earth isn't a Reno title, but it's another one of those early Anime influenced games that borrows HEAVILY from the Macross series. It's actually more like Macross than most of the Macross games I've played. It's a mecha shooter with a mix of platforming levels and zero gravity space stages. You start off armed with a standard rapid firing vulcan cannon, but you're rewarded additional weapons and gear at the end of every stage based on your score/performance, and you get to outfit your mech with whatever weapons and armaments you like at the begging of each stage after you've been briefed with the details of the upcoming mission. You can only equip so many items at a time though, which adds a strategic element to the already awesome game play. Another cool thing about the game is that you're not going it alone. Almost every stage is a full-on battle with several friendly units engaging the enemy independently. They don't really do enough fighting to help your progress along, but it still adds a lot of drama to the game, since your comrades are getting blown away all around you as the battles rage. You'll find yourself defending and taking fire for them a lot of times, even when it's not required. Some of Target Earth's outer space battles were pretty epic considering it was one of the Genesis' early titles, and it's one of the few games ever made where escort missions don't suck.
    Last edited by Emperor Megas; 04-25-2010 at 02:42 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Herzog Zwei is pretty awesome too. It's probably the first Real Time Strategy game I've ever played.
    Last edited by Emperor Megas; 04-25-2010 at 02:42 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0) TheObscure's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ObscureNumber9

i dink dat duh graffix r duh bes ding aboot genesis dey r so orgasm
    I'm on a collision course to Mars, rocketing like a tiger through space and time.

But where were The Spiders From Mars?