Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What do you like in Genesis games?

Apple (Level 5) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pato View Post
    I agree with the following games mentioned:

Ranger-X
    Shadow Dancer
    Strider
    Batman & Robin
    Sunset Riders

All brill games worth adding to your colection. Here are my games that I enjoy and are mostly exclusive to the Genesis library:

Alien 3: Different game from the SNES. I liked the atmoshpere in the game. It does mix action with exploration of the level. You basically go around saving prisoners while blasting the Aliens. When you do rescue all the prisoners, you must find the exit to the level. All of this within a time limit.

Alisia Dragoon: IMHO, an overlooked platformer/shooter. Fun game. I really enjoyed the art style and the music was quite good for the Genesis. The only thing problem being that it is a little more difficult to find as I don't believe it sold very well when first released.

Rambo 3: I'll say that it is a short game, but I enjoyed playing it. It mixes ups play styles a bit. Essentially you go around blowing stuff up and saving prisoners and such.

Dick Tracy: A side-scrolling Shooter. You can use your fist, gun or even a tommy gun to take out enemies in the background. Some people like this one, some people don't. I enjoyed it so I will say, check it out

Rolling Thunder Part 2 & 3: Part 2 was ported from the arcade and is a quite faithful to it's arcade counterpart. Part 3 was exclusive to the Genesis. A good run and gun series worth checking out.

Arcade ports with checking out:

Mercs: You can get this game on the Capcom Collection pack on the PS2 and Xbox. However, it does contain an "Orginal mode" exclusive to the Genesis version. Basically it is a whole new game. During the course of the game, you can save prisoners and then later choose to use them on the fly. So if you want to use the flamethrower guy, just pause the game and make the switch.

Two Crude Dudes: Arcade port made by the same people that made Bad Dudes (Data East). Only I thought this was better. Not only can you punch, kick and grab your adversaries, you can also pick up tons of different weapons and lots of parts of the environment to throw at them too.

Midnight Resistence: Run and Gun game made also by Data East (Arcade port). Basically like Contra.

Crackdown: Another good arcade port. It's a top view action game where you go around shooting things and difusing bombs within a time limit. The graphics are small, but I think this is good game worth checking out.

Worth mentioning, check out the Splatterhouse series on the Genesis (Parts 2 & 3). Part 3 is more like Final Fight with mulitple paths to get to the bosses. Also, if you liked Rocket Knight, check out it's sequel Sparkster.

Edit: Forgot to add ESWAT. It is based off of an older Sega Arcade game. However, this is an entirely different game. It is short though. You start out as a simple cop in uniform and then after completing the first 2 levels you put on a cool Robocop like suit in which you can pick up some more powerful weapons to blast the baddies. You can even hover around for a bit with your special suit. The last level in particular you must use this mechanic to make it to the end boss.
    I'm going to look at all the games you posted like the first levels and say what I think:

Alien 3
    looks ok but looks frustrating, but it could be because the person I watched play it sucks though.

Alisia Dragoon
    Also looks ok looks to be similar to Mystic Defender but with better graphics and Dragons! with a lead Character that is female.

Rambo 3
    No don't look like ill like it, I hate top down shooters.

Dick Tracy
    This looks ok, not as good as Alien 3 or Alisia Dragoon though mainly because it looks like Dick moves to slow and the lack of platforming.

Rolling Thunder 2
    Looks to be decent though the lack of serious platforming though makes it lose points.

Rolling Thunder 3
    Is obviously Similar to Rolling Thunder 3 but lacks that serious platforming that I like I mean like pit falls and spikes.

Mercs
    Don't like the top down.

Two Crude Dudes
    Beat'em up not a shooter, but i also like beat'em ups or looks ok.

Midnight Resistance
    Looks really good.

Crackdown
    Sorry again i dont like the top down view.

Splatterhouse games
    They look interesting but I dont know about them.

Sparkster
    Looks good.

ESWAT
    also looks good.
    What's up with islands? Get more land.
    What's up with deserts? Get less sand.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Lets see I'm only going to have like 50 dollars all these games man I dont know what to get now though I definitely want Dinosaurs for Hire due to the sheer awesomeness of its concept.
    Last edited by Urzu402; 04-25-2010 at 03:38 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sorry to post so many times in a row, but I also need a Sega Genesis model 2
    and again Ill only have 50 dollars to spend What should I do?

Strawberry (Level 2) allyourblood's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Urzu402 View Post
    Sorry to post so many times in a row, but I also need a Sega Genesis model 2
    and again Ill only have 50 dollars to spend What should I do?
    Get more money or expect less things.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't expect to get everything in this topic right away, I'm just wondering what games I should get first.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't expect to get everything in this topic right away, I'm just wondering what games I should get first.
    I recommend playing some genesis games on your pc via emulation so you have an idea of what the gameplay is like instead of just basing it on videos. That will give you a clear idea of which games you really want to play right now.

I recently did that with the NES. I wanted to start collecting CIB nes games but only specific titles that I had an interest in playing. So I played through the entire nes library using an emulator on my pc and created a wanted list.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm not into emulation. I don't like it. but I'm not going to bother people who do it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

hmm.
    I'd suggest Robocop vs. Terminator, Strider, Dinosaurs for Hire, and Forgotten worlds as must haves.

no one else mentioned it, so Forgotten worlds is a side-scrolling shmup.
    the thing is, you're not actually piloting a ship, you're a dude with a gun and a jetpack.
    b button to shoot, and the a and c buttons rotate you.
    it's a little different, and the only US home port of it that i know of, and it was actually really well done.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bartre View Post
    no one else mentioned it, so Forgotten worlds is a side-scrolling shmup.
    the thing is, you're not actually piloting a ship, you're a dude with a gun and a jetpack.
    b button to shoot, and the a and c buttons rotate you.
    You don't have jet packs in Forgotten Worlds, the heroes use magical "flying stones". You start the game with a standard one, but you can upgrade or downgrade your flying stones in any of the shops that appear through out the game.

it's a little different, and the only US home port of it that i know of, and it was actually really well done.
    It's also available for the Turbo Grafx CD.
    Last edited by Emperor Megas; 04-28-2010 at 03:30 AM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This thread is more supposed to help me find out what I like in Genesis games. I know the top 50 thread exists, I made this thread because I can't put into words what I like about certain Genesis games and I was hoping you people can help me find it.
    Sega has always had a focus on arcade gaming. I'm not only talking about ports of arcade games. I'm talking about the special type of gameplay experience you'd normally find in arcade titles. That experience was brought to many exclusive titles for the system. There are obviously exceptions to this rule (such as sports and RPG titles), but I'm willing to bet that will explain what you feel is different about Sega games.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Quote Originally Posted by goldenegg View Post
    Sega has always had a focus on arcade gaming. I'm not only talking about ports of arcade games. I'm talking about the special type of gameplay experience you'd normally find in arcade titles. That experience was brought to many exclusive titles for the system. There are obviously exceptions to this rule (such as sports and RPG titles), but I'm willing to bet that will explain what you feel is different about Sega games.
    And this is also true of the Sega Master System, Sega Saturn and Sega Dreamcast. The four major home consoles all had that focus. The Genesis 6-button and Saturn controllers seem to get a lot of praise for their arcade style button layout too.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rickstilwell1 View Post
    And this is also true of the Sega Master System, Sega Saturn and Sega Dreamcast. The four major home consoles all had that focus. The Genesis 6-button and Saturn controllers seem to get a lot of praise for their arcade style button layout too.
    The Saturn controller is still my favorite gamepad to this day. The licensed USB pads are awesome for emulators AND playing fighting games on the PS3

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I Like Mystic Defender, though that fire weapon is a real pain in the ass to use.

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Urzu, I feel the same way about you about Genesis. Growing up on other systems such as NES and SNES, Genesis is really hard to get into. The FM music makes everything sound like a low bitrate techno remix of what it's supposed to be. Graphics are really dark compared to SNES.

That said, you probably just need a breakthrough game. In other words, one killer app to break you into the system, having good gameplay that makes you forget about all of the system flaws. By the time you finish the game, you're used to the unique style of the games.
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    redraid
    PSN
    redraid

If you are looking for great platforming, the Mickey Mouse games are great. Castle of Illusion, World of Illusion, The Great Circus Mystery and so on. Seriously, check them out.
    Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned for Sega. - Brodie Bruce

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DreadIsReal View Post
    If you are looking for great platforming, the Mickey Mouse games are great. Castle of Illusion, World of Illusion, The Great Circus Mystery and so on. Seriously, check them out.
    Yeah, Mickey Mania was a favorite when I was younger.

For more great platforming check out ToeJam & Earl: Panic on Funkotron. It's best with a second player, but it's still a blast by yourself. The graphics, sound, and control are all top-notch.

It is actually a sequel. The first game is amazing too (my favorite Genesis game actually), but they are nothing alike. It's hard to explain what the first one is like, so just check Youtube. Again, it is the best when played with another person.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BetaWolf47 View Post
    Urzu, I feel the same way about you about Genesis. Growing up on other systems such as NES and SNES, Genesis is really hard to get into. The FM music makes everything sound like a low bitrate techno remix of what it's supposed to be. Graphics are really dark compared to SNES.

That said, you probably just need a breakthrough game. In other words, one killer app to break you into the system, having good gameplay that makes you forget about all of the system flaws. By the time you finish the game, you're used to the unique style of the games.
    Castlevania Bloodlines is what made me appreciate the Genesis, before that, I just conisidered it that other 16 bit system. So Basically Castlevania Bloodlines was the killer app for me. Now my Genesis collection is going to rival my SNES and NES collection in size (Mostly sports games though).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    redraid
    PSN
    redraid

Quote Originally Posted by carlcarlson View Post
    Yeah, Mickey Mania was a favorite when I was younger.

For more great platforming check out ToeJam & Earl: Panic on Funkotron. It's best with a second player, but it's still a blast by yourself. The graphics, sound, and control are all top-notch.

It is actually a sequel. The first game is amazing too (my favorite Genesis game actually), but they are nothing alike. It's hard to explain what the first one is like, so just check Youtube. Again, it is the best when played with another person.
    Yeah def. ToeJam and Earl. Both games are fun. Also Earthworm Jim. All are hilarious as well. Chiki Chiki Boys is a great game too. As is Decap Attack. I'm going to stop I could go on for days. The best thing is none of these games are too expensive either.
    Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned for Sega. - Brodie Bruce

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah def. ToeJam and Earl. Both games are fun. Also Earthworm Jim. All are hilarious as well. Chiki Chiki Boys is a great game too. As is Decap Attack. I'm going to stop I could go on for days. The best thing is none of these games are too expensive either.
    Yea that's one thing the Genesis has good cheap games, as opposed to the SNES where everyone is putting their prices up because the SNES was more popular.

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I actually don't like World of Illusion that much. It feels so unnatural compared to the other games. There's jumps that you can just barely make, as well as the attack being more delayed than Simon's whip.

Castle of Illusion is a game I need to track down, both the 8-bit and 16-bit version. Can't go wrong with Quackshot or the Capcom titles though.

About Earthworm Jim, can anyone tell me why the voice samples on that game sound so much better than on other Genesis titles?
    Selling gaming accessories. Click