Thread: Capcom Vs. SNK 2 question

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Capcom Vs. SNK 2 question

Just had a few quick questions about Capcom Vs. SNK 2.

i know the game is available cross platform, but i've also seen Capcom Vs. SNK 2: EO on Gamecube. is this a gamecube exclusive? and what's the difference between regular and EO?

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

EO = Easy Operation. You have the choice to either play the game as normal with 6 buttons (as per arcade etc), or you can have L as punch, R as kick (both taking the strength from how quickly/far you depress the button) and the C stick for special/super moves. EO is good if you don't want to faff about with trying to do the 6 button thing on a pad. Works far better if you have a proper arcade stick. EO can be a bit cheesy as it is easy to keeping pulling off certain moves...

Great Puma (Level 12) Gamereviewgod's Avatar
    Toledo, Ohio and likely writing a review.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gamereviewgod
    PSN
    Gamereviewentity
    3DS Friend
    3136-6571-2996

EO is also on the X-Box. No real difference.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

EO is pure cheese.

Yea, X-box has it too, and it's the reason I only play in Arcade mode when I play online. There's absolutely no chance to face people using the top tier characters in EO mode. I'm not sure what's the fun of playing a fighting game when you need no skill to do good.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

You mean no charge Blanka Balls/Honda headbutt/Balrog rush punch?
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    "9 is a poor man's 11, and 11 is a Baker's Ten."
    Infinite Lives

Startin' From Scratch Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

or instant fireballs, dragon punches, hurricane kicks.... easy Chun-li kikkodens... pure total cheese. *sniffs* smells like limburger.

-AG
    -AB+

Holy crap. It's been a while.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

Not like that game was any good to begin with..it's too sloooooow. Add in the fact that the game rewards defensive playing as much, if not more then offensive playing, and you've got some seriously messed up gameplay.

You really don't need much skill to do good in CvS2. Can you hit a button to do a really really over prioritized poke? Can you do a random level 3 super in K groove? Then you can probably win in cvs2. I know people who are great in that game and suck ass in any other fighting game where strategy and skill matter.
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    Infinite Lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

thanks for the info... looks like i can go spend my $10 elsewhere... heh.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't think the game is slow at all, in fact I think the speed is just right. And after playing a shitload of matches online, I know you need some sort of skill to win, unless of course you're using Blanka.

I will agree with some players having too powerful of poke's, and some with too powerful of a one button anti air. Mai and Hibiki for example.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

Quote Originally Posted by buttasuperb
    I don't think the game is slow at all, in fact I think the speed is just right. And after playing a shitload of matches online, I know you need some sort of skill to win, unless of course you're using Blanka.

I will agree with some players having too powerful of poke's, and some with too powerful of a one button anti air. Mai and Hibiki for example.
    Well I'll tell you how it works in the tournaments...
    In most fighting games, a match ends pretty quick. Even in other team based ones, like KOF, it ends quick. A KOF match will take about 2-3 minutes total. CvS2 can take roughly 6 minutes to finish. Thats on the default speed. You don't want to try it on faster speeds, because it makes the over prioritized pokes (sagat crouch fierce, cammy stand roundhouse, athena crouch fierce) even better, due to the increase in their speed. I've seen lots of tournament matches that end up with the guy sitting there and turtling winning because all he does is out prioritize whatever the other guy does, and do a super whenever the chance arises. The one player around here wins constantly in cvs2 because he does just that...he's beaten a man considered to be one of the best players in the midwest by doing that shit in CvS2.

And then you got Roll Cancelling. This made the game a bit more exciting, but alot more bullshit, at the same time. It gave us the ultimate turtle honda, RCing his command grab into itself constantly, so that he couldn't be hit, or thrown (unless the other person has damn good timing and good throw range). Few examples in any fighting game can be as ridiculous as RCing Honda. They took RCs out of the EO version of the game, making it boring, because, even with RC bullshit, the game was more fun because it actually put a layer of mind games onto it.

If you want I can dig around the archives on shoryuken.com and find the article the one high ranking player did on why cvs2 is lame, but I covered most of the major points.
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    Infinite Lives

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yea, there is some damn cheesy tactics in CvS2, but I don't use em, and if I fight someone who uses nothing but cheese, I just won't play them anymore. Simple as that. Mega Turtlers are pussies anyways.

I will agree the same can be a little too much on the defensive side, but it's still a damn fun game. Plus it's the only option for online fighting right now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

What I'm sayin is that a good fighting game doesn't give that sort of power to the defender. Good ones don't require such a tactic to go on to win. It is sad, that its all we got for online play-I wouldn't mind seein online SF3-3s or SvC.

Anyhow, here's that article, from "Viscant"
    To the smart guy who said "low fierce isn't overpowered, you can DP it!"
    This is the main problem with CvS2. Your "solution" to an extremely low risk problem is an extremely high risk problem. Also your rewards are minimal at best. The biggest problem the CvS series has is that the risk/reward ratios were completely and totally out of balance.
    CvS2 chart (ripped straight from Sirlin):
    M (move I want to abuse): Low fierce.
    C (counter to the move I want to abuse): High risk move such as DP or groove option like roll, parry, super, custom, etc
    C1 (counter to the counter): Stand perfectly still and block or parry/JD hunt or dodge. Note that most of the initial counters are finite. Even if you don't always get to hit someone back for being stupid, you've effectively won the mini game hugely by standing still.
    C2: Wraps back around to M. Low fierce.
    This is why CvS2 is so boring usually. It leads to one character doing one or two things over and over and standing around and the other characters being forced to go tremendously out of their way for a counter that has an extremely high likelihood of not working.
    Incidentally this is why I think roll cancels made the game 100 times better than it was before. Roll cancel gives you a C move that is actually low risk for the most part. While roll cancel doesn't eliminate the one button normal abusers (tell me if ANYONE doesn't think Sagat, Blanka, Cammy, Yamazaki and Hibiki aren't still top now) it at least lowers their advantage just a tad. For an example on how much RC helps the game, go check out a K vs. K fight. Fun fights to look at are any that involve Balrog and Sagat or Cammy. Seriously, it becomes a hockey fight. Both characters stand slightly out of range and just slam their button or try to fake out and just walk up block instead. But if the other guy gets super then it's not your turn to attack anymore! I play K groove and even I have to admit that's stupid.

This is also why I think CvS1 was a better game. This is in no way a declaration of merit for CvS1; definitely more of a slam on CvS2. CvS1 had far more attacking and standing around was much less of an option. Yes, crossup j.short was intensely ridiculous. Yes, I'm not denying that CvS1 also had downtime (CvS1.jpg at B5), just that the downtime wasn't nearly as heavy a part of the game as it is in CvS2. CvS1 blocking was by far overpowered (easiest throw tech in SF history, guard crush nonexistant except vs. Nakoruru and Yamazaki), but in the end there was more attacking in CvS1 than in CvS2.

CvS2 is the worst video game in arcades right now. Most of it's proponents don't even defend the game. Last week at SBO I tried asking people who liked CvS2 what they thought of it and I couldn't get a single really positive response. Most of what I got was "it's OK" and "it's not as bad as everyone says" and my favorite "well, what else is there to play". Even among the people who play and are good at the game, we only play it because there's nothing else even resembling a real SF game that's come out in 4 years. Maybe it took not playing video games for a couple months to remind me of it, but this is just an awful game.

And my last little pet peeve is about the people who say CvS2 is "old school". Bull fucking shit. CvS2 has no old school about it. Old school != the abscence of super jumping and chain combos (which by the way, CvS2 has anyways). Playing a game like CvS2 makes you want to watch some WWF (oops I mean ST) action again.

I think if the only hope for CvS2 is for everyone to stop playing it seriously and for everyone to forget about what's good and for the game to take 2 years to get back to the level at which we're playing it now (see also 3s's history in America) then there is no future for CvS2 at all. Sorry I had to say it, but that's just the way it is.

--Jay Snyder
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    Infinite Lives

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ubersaurus
    It is sad, that its all we got for online play-I wouldn't mind seein online SF3-3s or SvC.
    Well, hopefully the xbox port of SvC has the option for online play, or else it's pretty much pointless to release. Just like MvC2 was on xbox.

SF3: TS would be a great idea for Capcom to release on xbox live. Hell, even a compilation disc with all SFA's for online play, or one with SF2Turbo and SSF2x would be cool.

Same thing on the SNK side, compilations for KoF, SS, LB, and FF would be great for online play, and would make the company some much needed extra money.

And I've gotten off topic, but I do see those points about CvS2, but to me it's still a fun game. To each his own.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

I'd kill for an online version of Fatal Fury Special, and I don't mean Kaillera Duck King forever! You gotta love a character with a chicken on his head, a beat in his heart, and an infinity that even I can do.
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    Infinite Lives