Thread: Question for Double Dragon pros

Insert Coin (Level 0) Shellshock!'s Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Question for Double Dragon pros

Hey guys. I'm doing some research on the original Double Dragon and I was wondering if it is possible to beat the entire game in 1 quarter without using the elbow smash. I have read about the game's numerous bugs, which includes the famous elbow smash that can be abused throughout the entire game to beat it easily; but I'm wondering if there is a "fair" and more interesting way to do it than resorting to adding credits or boring myself to death elbowing everybody in the face. I frequented arcades when Double Dragon came out but don't remember ever seeing somebody attempt it. Advanced enemies seem to be immune to punch combos and other basic moves, so I suspect they can only be taken down with weapons. Does any of you old school arcade goers know anything about this?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've never beaten the game on one quarter (I've never really tried, actually), but I never use the elbow smash or the jump reverse kick. It's much, much easier to abuse the Z-axis and use the kick button. But, that's the case with most beat-em-ups. The computer is absolutely retarded when it comes to the Z-axis.

Yeah, there are tons of weird glitches in this game. My favorite is at the start of the third level (Woods). Just walk to the left part of the screen and let the enemies come to you. Put them in a hair grab and throw them to the left; they'll just drop right off the screen! You can also punch/kick them off the side of the screen too if they walk over on that side; just make sure that you're as far left on the screen as possible. Also, an easy way to beat the 2nd level boss (Jeff) is to stand on the elevator that he comes up on. When he follows you on there, simply knock him off. You can also throw the box off of this elevator and it'll be in the third level waiting for you!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Smashed Brother View Post
    I've never beaten the game on one quarter (I've never really tried, actually), but I never use the elbow smash or the jump reverse kick. It's much, much easier to abuse the Z-axis and use the kick button. But, that's the case with most beat-em-ups. The computer is absolutely retarded when it comes to the Z-axis.
    I'm gonna try that and see how far I can make it. How many credits do you think you use, and do you think you can reduce them to 1 even if you exploit every single glitch in the game to beat it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If I really knuckle up and try, I'm sure that I could beat this on one credit. It's not actually that difficult; the only part where I have a problem is on the fourth stage with the random blocks that pop out of the wall. There is no pattern to this that I can figure out and it's easy to lose more than one life in this section!

I'm out of town right now, but when I get back I may just have to fire up the MAME and give it a shot!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    garou5016

I'm sure it can be 1CC'd without the elbow smash. You're just going to have to do alot of running around to avoid getting attacked from behind.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    compute1984

Where is Jimmy Woods when you need him?!
    See my latest arcade repair at the Holodeck 2 Arcade Repair Blog: http://holodeck2arcade.blogspot.com

Authordreamweavervisionar yplusactor Arcade Antics's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Shellshock! View Post
    Hey guys. I'm doing some research on the original Double Dragon and I was wondering if it is possible to beat the entire game in 1 quarter without using the elbow smash. I have read about the game's numerous bugs, which includes the famous elbow smash that can be abused throughout the entire game to beat it easily; but I'm wondering if there is a "fair" and more interesting way to do it than resorting to adding credits or boring myself to death elbowing everybody in the face.
    I've done it, it's annoyingly time consuming and not worth the hassle.

FWIW the elbow smash isn't a bug, it's just unbalanced in the human players's favor.
    Selling collection, Atari through XBox. Send a PM with whatever games you're looking for.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

I have beat the game on 1 credit before, using the elbow smash. Never tried without it, really. Like someone else mentioned, the random blocks and the spear guys usually get a life from me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arcade Antics View Post
    FWIW the elbow smash isn't a bug, it's just unbalanced in the human players's favor.
    I read it is, but it would make it such an obvious one for QA to miss that I also doubt it's true. Still the rest of the game is Swiss cheese design, so I don't know. If you think about it it's kind of brilliant. It provides a safe haven for casual players, while hardcore ones can ignore it at will and play a harder game.