I can't change my avatar. Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    YaoIsGod

Default Dead GBC Battery?

I sold Pokemon Gold a while back, and the guy I mailed it to said the battery doesn't work. Before I mailed it out I played for a few minutes then saved it. I then turned the GB on and loaded the game. Deeming it working I mailed it off. Now I am told that after leaving the GB off for a while after saving the file is deleted. Is this a dead battery or a cart error?
    Like free stuff? I have earned hundreds of dollars in free Amazon gift cards through Swagbucks. Check it out here! Earn 3000 points and I will give you FREE shipping the next time you buy from me!
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/Porksta

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The battery is barely alive. Pokemon Gold uses a RTC so that drains the battery faster.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

I know my Mario Land 2 will save games for a few minutes but powered off any longer than that and the saves will vanish.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, for future reference, you should test to make sure the save lasts longer than 30 minutes with the system turned off. I had a Pokemon Gold like that too once.
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Yeah, a battery will retain a charge for a short while from when the system was on, but it'll dissipate within an hour or so tops.

Pear (Level 6) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The battery is also very easy to replace,and can be replaced with a longer lasting CR-2032.

http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?p=7536459

All my Gold,Silver and Crystal games now have fresh CR-2032's in them with pieces of electrical tape holding the connector points, you don't have to solder them back at all,cause well, the battery will last only oh,5 to 7 years if your lucky and the next time you want to change the battery,it will be much easier.
    "...leave love bleeding, in my hands, in my hands again..."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Does anyone have tips for soldering the battery in by the way? I have a copy of Pokemon Sapphire with a dead "berry battery." Me and my dad tried soldering in a new one, but the solder wouldn't stick to it. Should I try a different kind of solder than ordinary lead solder?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's possible to solder batteries but with run of the mill soldering irons there's also the danger of bursting the battery. Batteries with tabs are soldered with industrial equipment.

You're better of buying batteries with tabs although for some reason they are very hard to find... well not really but most places that stock them usually sell them in bulk.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by alec006 View Post
    All my Gold,Silver and Crystal games now have fresh CR-2032's in them with pieces of electrical tape holding the connector points, you don't have to solder them back at all,cause well, the battery will last only oh,5 to 7 years if your lucky and the next time you want to change the battery,it will be much easier.
    You have more faith in electrical tape than I do then. I hope you never drop or bump it.

Quote Originally Posted by BetaWolf47 View Post
    Does anyone have tips for soldering the battery in by the way? I have a copy of Pokemon Sapphire with a dead "berry battery." Me and my dad tried soldering in a new one, but the solder wouldn't stick to it. Should I try a different kind of solder than ordinary lead solder?
    You're trying to heat up a big hunk of metal (the battery) and that takes time/power. What wattage is your iron? You may need higher power. You might also need to hold it on the battery longer. The battery has to get to the temperature to melt solder, then it will stick. If you're just melting the solder with the iron and trying to stick it to the battery you will get a cold solder joint at best. Don't overheat the battery though. As soon as it will take the solder, make your connection and be done with it. Good solder joints take practice, so you might want to find something similar to try a few times with first.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Oh, the battery needs to be hot? That's going to be... tricky. I forgot to mention this funny story...

When me and my dad were trying to solder, we actually got it to work. By holding the iron to the clip over the battery for a long moment, we took the iron off and it stayed. I celebrated. "Yes! It worked!" Then, POP! The battery blew, dismantling itself from the solder in the process. It sounded like a little firecracker! BAM! "Fffffuuuuu...!!!"

Pear (Level 6) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jb143 View Post
    You have more faith in electrical tape than I do then. I hope you never drop or bump it.
    Duct tape works as well,but I guess the electrical tape I have must be the good kind,cause I have dropped the games a few times and the battery didn't come loose. Even if it did,I backed up all my games on the Pelican Monster Brain =3
    "...leave love bleeding, in my hands, in my hands again..."

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

the battery will last only oh,5 to 7 years if your lucky
    Then how do you explain the fact that the vast majority of batteries inside NES carts still work (ditto for all games with batteries that came later)?

The rumors of the early death of game batteries are greatly exaggerated.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    Then how do you explain the fact that the vast majority of batteries inside NES carts still work (ditto for all games with batteries that came later)?
    He was referring to Pokemon Gold. 5-7 years on a CR2032 seems accurate.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

But if you replace that battery with a better one then it only makes sense to do the job right. Tape can work great for a quick fix to connect 2 speaker wires and such, but to trust it to hold a battery down isn't the best solution. Old electrical tape gets nasty. Old duct tape gets brittle. Old solder pretty much stays the same.

Of course, if you don't have access to the equipment or know how to solder... or know anyone who does... then taping it may be an acceptable quick fix, just not the best one. It is just a save game after all, not a pacemaker.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by izarate View Post
    He was referring to Pokemon Gold. 5-7 years on a CR2032 seems accurate.
    NES games use CR2032 batteries as well. I'd also venture to guess that the vast majority of Pokemon Gold batteries still work as well. The Pokemon games in general do seem to have a higher rate of death that the average cart, though, but that can easily be pinned on the fact that they're played so dang much that the batteries wear out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

NES games use CR2032 batteries as well. I'd also venture to guess that the vast majority of Pokemon Gold batteries still work as well. The Pokemon games in general do seem to have a higher rate of death that the average cart, though, but that can easily be pinned on the fact that they're played so dang much that the batteries wear out.
    No, it's not because they are played more. It's because some of them (Pokemons) use an RTC (real time clock) which takes power from the battery to run. Pokemon Gold has an RTC and it's not uncommon for the CR1616 that they're shipped with to be dead in a few years, specially if the battery wasn't manufactured properly. That's why 5-7 years of life for a CR2032 battery in a Pokemon Gold cart sounds reasonable.

Pokemon Sapphire/Emerald use FeRAM to save but it still uses a battery to run the RTC. The DS Pokemons won't have any issue because the RTC is in the console.
    Last edited by izarate; 04-29-2010 at 09:34 PM.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I was speaking about Pokemon games in general. Even Red/Blue seem to have a higher rate of dead batteries.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Playing the games more often should actually take some of the work off of the save battery. In theory anyways. Either way, it shouldn't run them down more unless the gameboy itself was leaching power from the battery. I'd imagine it would work the other way around though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was speaking about Pokemon games in general. Even Red/Blue seem to have a higher rate of dead batteries.
    CR1616s usually have around 40mAh (varies from maker to maker) while CR2032s have around 220mAh. Is expected for CR1616s to last less.

Anyway, everyone is talking about Pokemon Gold but then NES games are brought up as some sort of counterpoint even though they aren't really comparable:
    the battery will last only oh,5 to 7 years if your lucky

The rumors of the early death of game batteries are greatly exaggerated.
    NES games use a CR2032 which has way more charge than a CR1616 plus the battery isn't constantly drained by an RTC. It's no wonder that they last longer.

Quote Originally Posted by jb143 View Post
    Playing the games more often should actually take some of the work off of the save battery. In theory anyways. Either way, it shouldn't run them down more unless the gameboy itself was leaching power from the battery. I'd imagine it would work the other way around though.
    Indeed. The cart's battery is only drained when the system is off. If anything playing them more would make the batteries last longer.
    Last edited by izarate; 04-29-2010 at 11:46 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Duct tape works as well,but I guess the electrical tape I have must be the good kind,cause I have dropped the games a few times and the battery didn't come loose. Even if it did,I backed up all my games on the Pelican Monster Brain =3
    I wouldn't worry a lot either. It's not like the 2032s would have a lot of space to move in there, specially after two or three layers of electrical tape. I have a few GB/GBC games in the same situation.