Thread: Gex The Gecko

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wink Gex The Gecko

The 1990s was a time of great transformation in the technical limits of game consoles. We saw the transition from two dimensions to three dimensions in this year, and these eras have provided some of the greatest games ever produced. And, many companies decided to cash in on the success of Super Mario and Sonic. Therefore, numerous mascots were conceived...but very few of them ever rose to fame like they were expected to. Aero The Acrobat, PLOK, Alfred Chicken, Ardy Lightfoot, Sparkster the Rocket Knight...just numerous amounts. However, there's one mascot that stole my childhood before these others could...

I grew up playing the "Gex" series, which was produced by Crystal Dynamics and Eidos. As a 5 year old, I would come home every day after school and park myself in front of the Playstation and play these games. Ever since, I've been awaiting the legendary fourth installment. Almost a decade later, I'm still waiting. The series, although considered mediocre by sleezy reviewers, was indeed integral to my childhood. Popular characters like Mario and Sonic were unparalleled to the trash talking gecko, at least in my eyes. I practically feel like I'm the only who still gives a damn about such a great series, even if it did steal a few elements from Super Mario 64 in the later 3D installments...

Anybody else still playing Gex or at least praying for volume four like I am?

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

The only Gex game I ever played was the first one on the 3DO. I enjoyed it quite a bit too...until it wouldn't end. The game just seemed to go on and on, and on, until I eventually shelved it, and never looked back. A lot of games are lost on me because they last longer than the novelty of the game play and become tedium. It didn't help that the stages of the first game seemed to get worse instead of better as they went on. I played though most of the game but I thought the graveyard stages you started out on were the best in the game. His wisecracks never got old though.

I'll have to revisit the series one of these days.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    retroman20/retroman21
    PSN
    retroman13

I first played Gex on the 3DO...I loved it...still a good game today. I break it out every now and then..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

personally, i have very mixed feelings on Gex.
    when i was 9 i got a game boy color for my birthday, along with wario land 2 and the first Gex game.
    i was infinitely more excited about Gex, so i popped that one in first.
    now, my best friend at the time had an N64, along with Gex enter the gecko.
    i never played it, but it looked like tons of fun.
    now, when i played the GBC version, i was appalled.
    even at 9 i could tell that the game was crap.
    recently, i bought the first 64 game, and i love it.
    i don't know if it's just the first impression or what, but i don't really think of Gex when i think game mascot.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    buzz_retro64

I love the first game, played it on the 3DO at the local Playco Toys (now closed) and thought the humor, tricks you could pull off, and cool graphics awesome. I kind of liked the 3D sequel, but it wasn't the same for me.

If they make the 4th installment 2d or 2.5 I'll be there to buy it.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

I enjoyed the entire series and still do. Just not the Game Boy Color games. Gex was the first 2D sidescroller I had played on Playstation, but I got to play Gex 2 (as Gex 64) on Nintendo 64 first. I thought the storyline at the end of Gex 3 established that Gex was quitting his job of going into TV worlds, as he was hired in that one. There could only be a Gex 4 if he changed his mind and decided to do that kind of work again or if an enemy pulled him in against his will like the first one.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    compute1984

Gex, what a game. My most vivid memories are that of Gex 2. It used to piss my then-girlfriend off to no end when her mom would sit around playing Gex all night. I think I got along better with her mom than I did with her haha.
    See my latest arcade repair at the Holodeck 2 Arcade Repair Blog: http://holodeck2arcade.blogspot.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    loonieman

I've only played the first 2 games in the series. Gex: Enter the Gecko is the one I remember the most fondly. I enjoyed it's parody of movies and television. That kind of humor reminded me of Bug! for Sega Saturn, or even Bubsy on SNES.

Ever play Croc on PS1? I always felt that game was in direct competition with Gex. Two reptilian mascots.

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I love this series too, although the only one I've really played is Gex 64: Enter the Gecko. I think that the overworld, which appears to be some kind of palace in the sky, was one of the most innovative at the time. I also like how it parodies Godzilla, Loony Tunes, Frankenstein (or any cheesy horror flick really), and Indiana Jones.

Screw the reviewers. The Gex series was awesome. Gotta remember to look for them on Saturn and N64.
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ah yes, I so remember GEX. I still play the Hell out of those games. I wish Crystal Dynamics would make a new one also. Great series.