Thread: Now or Later?

Insert Coin (Level 0) Manifesto's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Now or Later?

I've recently started collecting Nintendo games and have been a long time fanatic. I have come across so many games in my two months of collecting that I haven countless duplicated. Is now the best time to sell or will demand be up later in life? I see alot of atari games go for less than nothing on Ebay and was wondering if thats the direction our games are going.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Manifesto's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have alot of rare duplicates and don't want the value to go down over time. In about twenty years all of the kids of today will be the market and some kids NOW don't even know what a NES is.

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

The value of NES is higher now, in large part because those who grew up on the NES have money and are re-living their childhoods by getting these older games again or are making moves on complete collections because they can now afford it.

Strike while the iron is hot, because otherwise in a few years everything save the truly rare/demanded games will be worth nothing.

It's happened already to 2600 stuff, it'll happen to the NES next. Besides in 20 years those kids of today arn't going to give a crap about games that were already going on 20 years old when they started playing games. They will care about what they are playing now as those systems and games will be where their memories are forged.
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Agreed with everything above.

With the exception of only a very few exceptionally rare games, no NES game is going to increase in value over the next 5 to 10 years. At best their value will hold steady and not decline. Sell now, $10 in your hand today is worth more than $10 in your hand 10 years from now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    b0xwater
    PSN
    is_vigilante

Wait til Christmas though, if you want to get the most money for them.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

To gauge the ebb and flow of retro demand and value, you have to ask yourself what was popular with kids 20 years ago. That put's us at 1990 right now, which is at the height of NES popularilty. The Genesis was on the way up and the SNES was about to launch. I think you see that now, the NES values have peaked, and now the SNES and Genesis stuff is on the way up. In six or seven years you will see the market for PS1 and N64 games go up.