Thread: Monitor issue.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Monitor issue.

To make a long story short, I purchased an NBA Jam arcade today and had to use a friends truck to move it. The machine was covered with a tarp, however during the move it began to rain and some water managed to get inside.

Upon arrival to my house, I opened the back and didn't see any water at first glance. So...we fired it on and it played flawlessly for about 3-4 minutes, then the screen went black. Music and sounds still worked perfect, just no picture.

After closer examination, I realized there was some water around the wires coming from the monitor. So a few questions.

1) Could this small amount of water kill the monitor entirely?

2) Could the water have caused a short that just requires time to dry out? If so, how long should I wait before plugging it back in and turning it on?

I'm clearly not an expert on these, but I know a few things. It just seems odd that the monitor worked perfectly for about 3-4 mins before turning off.

Any advice is welcome, I just hope I don't need to buy a new monitor.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Here are some pics. I put a DMM on all the visible fuses and those checked out fine. Now I'm not sure exactly what "neck glow" is, so I can't really diagnose that. What should I check other than fuses? Also, there are some things on the monitor board that could possibly be hiding fuses but I didn't want to take the board out and apart to check. Any tips?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ok so I checked the power supply to the monitor with the DMM and it checked out fine at ~120v. Now I take it that it is a monitor issue. As far as the exact model number of the Sharp Image monitor, I can't really tell. I know the monitor was installed in 2002, if that helps any. Sounds like I may have to call a repair technician to help further diagnose.

Any help would really be appreciated.

Authordreamweavervisionar yplusactor Arcade Antics's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Need to know what the monitor model # is. It's probably a SI-3nnn or KT-nnnn number, should be somewhere on one of the monitor boards, look for silkscreened numbers or stickers. Once you have the model #, you can find the manual online.

Neck glow - the neck board is the square, green board with the 5 pots on it. It attaches to the neck, the glass you see coming off of the tube. When the monitor is working properly, the neck will glow. You may want to turn off the lights in the room when you power it up.

The suction cup is the anode - DON'T mess with it unless you know what you're doing. Don't pull any of the boards from the chassis unless you properly discharge the monitor first. If you're not sure how, there are plenty of threads here and info elsewhere online (youtube, klov, etc.) on the subject.
    Selling collection, Atari through XBox. Send a PM with whatever games you're looking for.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd properly discharge your monitor and then start poking around the monitor boards for problem areas. Look for hidden fuses and look for burn marks. Make sure no capacitors have bursted or look like they're leaking. Checking for neck glow like ArcadeAntics has suggested is a pretty important step.

After determining your monitor model # go online, find a manual and try and determine the various test points on the monitor so you can check voltages with your DMM.

EDIT: Here are a few resources.

If you have trouble finding a sticker or model #, you might try to visually identify it here. It's not a: 20EZ, G05-802, Electrohome G07

http://www.therealbobroberts.net/monitor.html

Here are monitor manuals for download.

http://www.mikesarcade.com/arcade/monitors.html
    Last edited by TheDomesticInstitution; 05-05-2010 at 09:29 AM.