Page 3 of 37 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: May 2010 Finds

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

I visited my parents over the weekend, which also meant I had a chance to do a tiny bit of maintenance on my Mini Galaga MAME cabinet and wrap up / pack away the glass from my decommissioned Pole Position conversion. There was a large yard sale advertised for Saturday, one that sets up every few months, so my mom, uncle, brother and myself went to take a look. There wasn't much there so we decided to go out and hit all the yard sales in the paper and check out any others along the way. We had a really good time as it's something that only my uncle and myself used to do years ago, so it was nice to be with a larger group.

Not a lot of video games but I did buy what I came across, $1.00 complete copy of Resident Evil 2...

I also picked up a sealed copy of You Don't Know Jack Volume 2 for the PC for $0.50. Tossed the box since it was nasty, just disc in a sleeve inside anyway. I need to build a media center PC for these games one of these days.

However my biggest find, probably of the year, wasn't game related. At one huge yard sale I came across a clock of the classic regulator type. It was marked $15.00, and manufactured by Howard Miller. Not 15 seconds after lifting it up and sliding the back off to look at the movement, one of the people running the sale came up to me. Good, they're keeping an eye on it so no kids or morons have thrashed it. So I slid the back off - brass movement, German made, looked to be fine. I ask if they have the key and two people tell me they have it inside. Again, good, it's not out there so some idiot can screw up the movement winding like a madman. It had three winding arbors so that means timekeeping, striking on the hour, and a melody on the quarter hour. I've always wanted one of these clocks and clockmaking was, and always has been, my dream career choice. So upon paying the $15.00 the gentleman went inside and returned with the winding key. He said that the door to the pendulum doesn't open so he'd been tilting it to the side on the wall to get it to start. On these clocks the pendulum door slides up rather than opens out, not knowing this made me think it was more of an estate sale.

On the way out another guy working the sale asked me if I got a deal on it, I told him "no, I really want one of these so the modest full price was fine." My mom also bought a silver and crystal set of grape shaped hanging salt and pepper shakers, with a silver stand designed like that of a grape vine - same guy said it was $1.00. This yard sale would have been an antique resellers dream. Anyway, I get back to my parent's house and get to looking up the clock. It's a $715.00 clock, the Shelburne model from Howard Miller.

$15.00 for a $715.00 clock is good business. The bushing on the minute hand is a little worn but it's no big deal. The hand nut was a little stripped so I ordered a replacement one for $10.00. (and promptly SOMEHOW misplaced the worn one not but five minutes later) I had to tweak one of the chime hammers a tiny bit but it's now striking properly and keeping perfect time.
    Last edited by InsaneDavid; 05-04-2010 at 01:06 AM.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Hewmanoid's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Hewmanoid

Didn't buy anything in May, but right at the end of April I got a "Promotional Use Only" Atari 2600 in the box and a Sega Genesis with 4 boxed games for $50. Always wanted a Genesis...

Insert Coin (Level 0) Letiumtide's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Letiumtide

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneDavid View Post

$15.00 for a $715.00 clock is good business. The bushing on the minute hand is a little worn but it's no big deal. The hand nut was a little stripped so I ordered a replacement one for $10.00. (and promptly SOMEHOW misplaced the worn one not but five minutes later) I had to tweak one of the chime hammers a tiny bit but it's now striking properly and keeping perfect time.
    Hmm... We have that clock at work, either that or it's a knock-off. I'll have to goto work today to take a closer look. Since we have it up for cheap. Unless of course you bought it from our store, but unless you were up in Canada that seems unlikely. =x

(Turns out it was a knock-off)
    Last edited by Letiumtide; 05-04-2010 at 09:35 AM.

"Ai Oboete Imasu Ka?" Flashback2012's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Dropped by a local mom n' pop store and found a couple of CIB Genesis games

The Great Circus Mystery Starring Mickey & Minnie - $5
    Asterix and the Great Rescue - $3

They actually had a B2G1F on Genesis games but their selection was sparse and I couldn't find a 3rd that I wanted for a good price. I was talking to the owner and he saw I was getting Genesis games and he went into a huge tirade on how his employees were TOSSING OUT all boxes and manuals for cart games because of a misunderstanding. Heh, he was red hot telling that story. Somehow in the course of the conversation he half joked about offering me a job. I kept my mouth shut about having worked at various game stores around town though. I probably wouldn't mind having it as a weekend thing but the guy is just a hair eccentric.
    "Ai Oboete Imasu Ka?"

Bell (Level 8) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneDavid View Post
    Howard Miller.
    Interesting fact:

Herman Miller is Howard Miller's brother, while Howard was in the clock business Herman was in the furniture business designing stuff like this:

It's interesting that Herman Miller is one of the biggest names in 1950s and 1960s modern furniture and Howard Miller is one of the biggest names in clocks.
    Check my auctions here! I am in the business of finding off-beat things, including video game stuff!

View my collection!

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Can't be bothered to post pics, because only a few of the items are noteworthy. This is from going to the Swap Shop on Sunday with FamicomFreak and JustRob:

Street Fighter 2: Champion Edition (Genesis, CIB)
    Super Street Fighter 2 (Genesis)
    James "Buster" Douglass Boxing (Genesis)
    High Frequency 6-button controller

The Guardian Legend (sun damaged... it's depressing how many games are like that at the Swap Shop)
    Super Advantage
    GBA 1st-party link cable

This is from Play N Trade, same people with me:
    Game Boy Pocket (Green) - $10
    Fatal Labyrinth (Genesis)
    Galaxy Force 2 (Genesis)

Some pretty decent Genesis games. I'm downplaying these finds because FamicomFreak's were so much better!
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    cloneholt
    PSN
    cloneholt

Another great start this month! Holy mackerel some of your finds are sweet. I hope that something worth posting will show up soon in my mailbox...

I can't change my avatar. Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    YaoIsGod

Picked this guy up for a few bucks at a thrift:

Like free stuff? I have earned hundreds of dollars in free Amazon gift cards through Swagbucks. Check it out here! Earn 3000 points and I will give you FREE shipping the next time you buy from me!
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/Porksta

Cherry (Level 1) HurricaneAndrew's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've got a buddy who's father used to repair those old regulator clocks. There are probably a hundred of those things in his house. He's actually a member of the forums here, but he doesn't come around much.
    Last edited by HurricaneAndrew; 05-04-2010 at 03:42 PM.
    I collect for: Odyssey2, Atari 2600, Atari 5200, ColecoVision, NES, SNES, N64, SMS, Genesis, Dreamcast, PSX, and TI-99/4A

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    BuckyBKatt
    PSN
    Bucky_B_Katt

I spent more on these than I should have but the one in the middle got me all caught up in the moment. First time I've ever seen it in person.

They were 60 if anyone was wondering

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Yesterday at Hollywood Video 50% off

I got Zelda TP Gamecube Disc Only for $10, it was Gamecrazy's old stock

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Today's finds:

The Man With No Name Trilogy (A Fistful of Dollars, For A Few Dollars More, The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly) DVD set - BRAND NEW
    Office 2004 Mac Standard
    Yokaiden Volume 1
    Hokuto No Ken (Japanese, Volume 15)

$5 for all. No photos, I had to move downstairs so my camera isn't set up.

The DVD trilogy was sealed, but it had a ton of weird paint and gunk all over the plastic wrapping. Turns out that the people who set up the booth dumped a barrel filled with cosmetics... so a bunch of cream got over some things. Including this. I had to leave two brand new Microsoft Works 2002 sets. They were too stinked up and the plastic was melting away.

Thankfully the gunk stayed in the wrapping for the DVD sets, and all are in good shape since it was still new. Yay! Too bad there's basically no extras on these discs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    cloneholt
    PSN
    cloneholt

Package arrived from an online auction win last week. It was described as "Basket of Atari Games" and sure enough when I opened it up, I got the games as well as the friggin basket:

Clearly a basket of Atari games. A mix of 2600, 7800, and Atari 400/800 games. Here are the 2600's included (nothing special, even though I did need one for the collection):

And here are the 7800 games:

And the reason for bidding were the Atari computer carts. I needed almost all of these for my collection, which include some nice rares:

Original brown 400/800 label games:
    Pac-Man
    Donkey Kong
    Dig Dug
    Centipede
    Space Invaders
    Asteroids
    Super Breakout

Silver Atari Home Computer labels:
    Pengo
    Joust

Third Party games:
    Kaboom! (activision)
    Frogger (Parker Bros)
    James Bond 007 (Parker Bros) - R4!
    Mr. Cool (Sierra On-Line) - R6!
    Squish 'Em (Sirius) - R5!
    Squish 'Em (Sirius) - R5!

So tons of games I needed for my computer, plus a Second copy of a very rare game that I can sell or trade! SWEET!

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Went to Goodwill and got the following:

Jedi Knight: Mysteries of the Sith (CD in generic case)- $1.

Also found a brand new Risk board game that still has all the pieces sealed for $5.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My finds this week:
    from CTCW $5

A production Harmony cart to go with my pre-production cart and a SD CARD Floppy Emulator:

A guy at work sold me a bunch of Commodore 128 stuff for $50, lots of software, magazines and books:

[url]WWW.EVG2000.com[/url]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Nice Commodore lot, evg2000!

Quote Originally Posted by Ryaan1234 View Post
    Interesting fact:

Herman Miller is Howard Miller's brother, while Howard was in the clock business Herman was in the furniture business designing stuff like this:

It's interesting that Herman Miller is one of the biggest names in 1950s and 1960s modern furniture and Howard Miller is one of the biggest names in clocks.
    As large scale clock producers go they make a decent clock with a good quality movement. Far from the quality of some old antiques or super high end clock manufacturers but then again that goes for almost everything. As long as you don't buy down with a quartz movement, with proper maintenance a Howard Miller clock will last generations.
    Last edited by InsaneDavid; 05-05-2010 at 12:10 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Couple ebay finds.

SMB2 party centerpiece NIP:

SMB TV tray (never seen one of these before!):

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    buzz_retro64

Yesterday, I found a Miracle Teaching Piano with ac adapter for only for $29! Yeah, bought that sucker! I already have the game, now I just need the cable to hook it up to my nes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

SMB TV tray (never seen one of these before!):

I had a couple of these as a kid. I had this SMB one and a Zelda one too. I think my grandma still has them somewhere in storage.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Disclaimer: After typing this it seems to be more of a book than a finds post, so please excuse the length. I just wanted to get it all out in one shot.

Ok, now for my finds from this past weekend with FamicomFreak and Betawolf47.

BTW Luis, I don't really hate you. Just your luck ...

So, pics later since I can't really mess with that at work right now.

From the Swap Shop:

N64
    Perfect Dark & Conker's Bad Fur Day, loose, $2.50 each

GEN
    Eternal Champions, complete, $3 (Fucking LOVE this game)
    Road Rash, cart only. (Gift from FamicomFreak out of a box of loose carts he picked up there.)

I didn't pick up anything at the Play n Trade. Girlfriend got a RetroDuo which ended up being defective so we returned it for store credit which leads me into Monday's finds...

We went on a thrift run just for the hell of it and I got a pretty nice PC game haul:

Red White & Blue at the Hialeah Thift mall:
    Sim City Classic
    Sim Tower
    Sim Theme Park Gold Edition, I think this is the 2nd disc from that package.
    .95 each

Think Thrift in the thrift mall:
    CH Products Jetstick - $5

Also at this place I had my first "Fuck You, from God" for the day. Spread around on the shelves were a color Apple II monitor, a couple of Disk II drives...but no Apple II. I looked around but couldn't find it. I asked the people who worked in the back and they said they hadn't seen anything matching my description of an Apple II. Left soooo disappointed.

From there we headed to the Goodwill in Skylake. I've always had random luck at this place, usually on the good side. This is where I find random stacks of complete Genesis, SMS games, that minty boxed 32x with all the shit still in their unopened baggies, etc. Unfortunately, they've begun a renovation of the store so everything was behind these heavy dust curtains except for most of the clothes and shoe racks, so I couldn't get to the area with the books/games and such usually are. They did have a little stack of random CDs and VHS by the remaining register, but everything there was either loose discs or scratched to hell, so I left there with my second Fuck You.

I skipped the new Goodwill just west of I-95 on Hallandale as that place usually sucks for my needs, maybe next time. We went next to the Goodwill on Taft in the publix plaza with the movie theater. This place is a mixed bag for me, I usually don't find much here, but occasionally will find one or two nice little items to make me smile. This is also the place I almost every time walk out of with a couple of shopping bags of paperbacks.

This trip however, I walked out with a FAT smile. My pattern is go through the toy racks, to the electronics, to the single remaining CD rack, to finally the overfull book racks.

So, here we go:

In the toy rack I found fucking DragonStrike! I instantly popped a smile. It was only $2, but, it was missing most of the pieces and the VHS, so I put it back down. It gave me a chance to explain my history with D&D and the place DragonStrike held for me to my girlfriend as we walked over to the electronics rack. She loves story time...Anyway, nothing on those racks but my big find for the day was in the CD rack...

All jewel case PC games: (All $2)
    Flight Simulator 98
    Need for Speed High Stakes
    Rebel Assault II
    Half Life GOTY
    Outlaws
    MDK
    Forsaken
    Unreal
    Quake II
    Quake II: Mission Pack The Reckoning
    No One Lives Forever (Which I discovered later was the Best Buy 3-disc edition with the bonus soundtrack CD)
    Freespace 2
    Wolf3d CD edition which also game with Spear Of Destiny, Fuck yeah
    Rainbow Six Rogue Spear
    Outwars
    Urban Chaos
    Heroes of Might & Magic IV
    The Sims House Party expansion
    Lords of Magic w/manual

Dreamcast:
    Ready 2 Rumble Round 2

So, yeah, pretty goddamn happy with that trip. We then went back to the Play n Trade to return the RetroDuo. They didn't have another one so we just took the store credit. Girlfriend picked up a couple of things and I did too.

Play n Trade:

NES
    Afterburner
    Wall Street Kid

Game Boy
    Radar Mission

GBA
    Mega Man battle network blue 3 (Don't know why, I guess just to see what the series is about)

Also got a gamecube Game Boy Advance player for $10.

I'm pretty happy with the weekend.