Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you think of racket boy?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default What do you think of racket boy?

It's a retro gaming site i went on there for a bit and it seems like a mess, a lot of immature flame wars it feels like a teen forum. And the articles are just rehashed stuff everyone knows. But the fourms really rubbed me the wrong way, had a real who the fuck are you and what the fuck do you want feel to them. Maybe it's just me but a pretty suck tastic website.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Overpriced online store with some regurgitated, unoriginal content and an immature scene whore community to boot.

I'll stick to DP, Neo-Geo and Assembler.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    jdotaku

I'm a member and like the site racketboy is a great guy and alot of the members are to that said its not what it used to be and is not my favorite site

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm a Racketboy forum member too. I think the articles are a useful primer for people who aren't as hardcore as many of us are. If you're a person who hasn't been playing retro games and wants to learn about interesting titles, they are pretty clean and well-written. Even though I'm a long time collector and player, I still enjoy reading the "hidden gems" articles from time to time.

As far as the forums go, you can't really blame a few of the people on there for the entire mood of the site. Some people are douches, but it's the same in real life. Most of them are very nice and helpful if you have questions about particular systems. I've completed several successful trades on Racketboy too and I would recommend it for that as well.
    Currently catching up on PSN, WiiWare, Wii U E-Shop and Xbox Live Arcade exclusives I missed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Racketboy's podcast is interesting & listenable, which is more than can be said for a lot of other gaming podcasts out there.
    "The big things that...nerds like to argue about might not actually matter that much."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I enjoy the articles on the site. They're written in a easy to read, enjoyable manner and provide a decent time killer. As for the forums, I view them from time to time, never bothered to actually join. They seem lively apart from anything else, unlike RFgeneration's forums (great site though).

I did once see a topic on there where they were practically salivating at VGA graded games, it made my blood boil but let's not get into that topic...
    I reject your reality and substitute it for one of my own!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Firebomber7

Fairly easy to sell stuff there.

Insert Coin (Level 0) dicknixon's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Swamperon View Post
    I enjoy the articles on the site. They're written in a easy to read, enjoyable manner and provide a decent time killer. As for the forums, I view them from time to time, never bothered to actually join. They seem lively apart from anything else, unlike RFgeneration's forums (great site though).

I did once see a topic on there where they were practically salivating at VGA graded games, it made my blood boil but let's not get into that topic...

I enjoy racketboy. They have some well written articles. They also have quite a bit of good information for newbies and hardcore gamers--gamers in general.

I have also got some good links to and information about how to MOD the Sega
    Saturn.

I have also purchased mod chips from them.

Like anywhere else, there is a mix of Aholes and Mature interesting gamers.
    PHATgamer

Cherry (Level 1) PresidentLeever's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I enjoy the podcasts and some of the articles, mainly the hidden gems ones. The forum isn't much worse than any other and the layout is definitely above average. It's a good site.

Keeper of the Terror Mask
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    therealdire51

Racketboy's a pretty nice guy. I met him and a couple other forum members at Momocon '07 in Atlanta. In fact, I was on the retrogaming panel with him, which was definitely an interesting experience.

The forum's okay. I post there from time to time, but mostly lurk.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I love his website. If i'm looking for a game I haven't played, the hidden gems articles are great. He covers all the bases without a lot of fanboyism.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Shellshock!'s Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The only thing I read from them are the GBA and GB Hidden Gems articles, and while the game selections are mostly good, it's very easy to tell whoever wrote it doesn't do much work. He does a very shallow overview and constantly fails to point out characteristics that only become evident once you have played the title more than 5 minutes.
    Chris Covell did a better job on his own, now hard-to-find GameBoy Forgotten Gems bit. And writing isn't even his main thing.

EDIT: Also, hey Dire 51!

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    buzz_retro64

Bought a mod chip for my Saturn from there. Followed their instructions, installed it, everything worked great! Haven't checked their forums, but I'll take everyone's word on it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Cool site. Also cool to me because they quoted many of my Obscure SFC game reviews, and even link me a great deal over there on racketboy

So cookie points for sure from me.

Good site all in all.

RVGFANATIC: SNES, Saturn, mad ramblings and more
    RELIVE | REMEMBER | REPLAY

Brand new URL!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Shellshock! View Post
    The only thing I read from them are the GBA and GB Hidden Gems articles, and while the game selections are mostly good, it's very easy to tell whoever wrote it doesn't do much work. He does a very shallow overview and constantly fails to point out characteristics that only become evident once you have played the title more than 5 minutes.
    Chris Covell did a better job on his own, now hard-to-find GameBoy Forgotten Gems bit. And writing isn't even his main thing.

EDIT: Also, hey Dire 51!
    This FTW

I mean if some people like it that's cool, this site is just unbelievably better and the forums are some of the best i've ever been to I don't see flame wars here often people seem to respect other peoples opinions.
    Last edited by UnpluggedClone; 05-03-2010 at 02:23 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think it is a good site and it has a lot less assholes than you find on some other sites. I do not understand the purpose of this thread really. Seems a bit immature to me to start making threads talking shit about other sites here. Why don't you take your grievances there?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Octopod View Post
    I think it is a good site and it has a lot less assholes than you find on some other sites. I do not understand the purpose of this thread really. Seems a bit immature to me to start making threads talking shit about other sites here. Why don't you take your grievances there?
    Why would you take your grievances there? Wouldn't make any sense you would get flamed. It's called getting the opinion of an outside source without bias.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I guess it is hard to take your grievances somewhere after you have been banned for using multiple accounts to jump into arguments to defend yourself, bypass the buying and selling rules and spamming auctions. If you repeat your behavior here you can bet your ass you are going to get banned here too, no forum is going to let you do those things. Then where are you going to go whine about how DP is a horrible site?
    Last edited by Octopod; 05-04-2010 at 03:35 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0) sevin0seven's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Sevin0Seven

racketboy is an awesome site. like every forum assholes will come and go. the mods there does a great job trying to maintain the site assholes, spam and stupid topic free.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Octopod View Post
    I guess it is hard to take your grievances somewhere after you have been banned for using multiple accounts to jump into arguments to defend yourself, bypass the buying and selling rules and spamming auctions. If you repeat your behavior here you can bet your ass you are going to get banned here too, no forum is going to let you do those things. Then where are you going to go whine about how DP is a horrible site?
    Holy shit sounds like you had a bad time over there...