Thread: Need help buying an Intellivision

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Need help buying an Intellivision

I'm looking at an Intellivision Model 1 for $25.00 but it does not have the RF out/antenna out/whatever that thing is...

How easy will it be to find a replacement? Also, do they sell connectors that turn the antenna connector (two Y-shaped nodes) into a coax or AV out? I'm just curious how much money I will have to pour into the system to get it working after purchase.

I don't have a TV that will support the old antenna-style of connection, nor do I have any knowledge of consoles from that era, so I am pleading stupidity here. Any help would be appreciated. The console comes with controllers and otherwise seems to be in great shape, so I am very tempted. I have a complete copy of Snafu that has been untested for all too long.

At the same store, that also have a Goldstar 3DO for $60.00, but I would have no way of testing it as I don't have any 3DO games. They also have a 32X with all the cords for $30.00, but again, some problem with no way to test it.

All these obscure systems are so tempting......Good deals? Should I splurge?
    No, I'm Mr. Big Lucky Flavor!

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A 32X isn't worth $30 IMO, Not even close.

Strawberry (Level 2) mario2butts's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I sold my Intellivision 1 awhile back, but IIRC the RF cord is hard-wired into the system, ie a long RCA cable comes out of it which you then plug into either a manual RF switch or an RCA to coax adapter (preferred and shown below):

Radioshack should have it cheap. As for the 3DO, $60 sounds a bit steep, especially for a Goldstar model. $30 for a 32X is reasonable IF it has ALL of the cables etc, I bought (and later sold) mine, CIB, for about that price.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    retroman20/retroman21
    PSN
    retroman13

you can get it to play on coax...easily done...like my neighbor said...hit radioshack up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Places like Radio Shack might still have manual switchboxes for sale. Or you might check out the occasional 99¢ store and see if they have them. A store near me had a wall full of them years back. That store's sadly gone now.

Really, for the best picture quality you should try for one of those RCA-to-Coaxial adapters. I use them with my old consoles and they work great.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mario2butts View Post
    I sold my Intellivision 1 awhile back, but IIRC the RF cord is hard-wired into the system, ie a long RCA cable comes out of it which you then plug into either a manual RF switch or an RCA to coax adapter (preferred and shown below):

Radioshack should have it cheap.
    Yup...the same thing I suggested in the 2600 thread earlier today. Radio Shack will sell is as an "F" adapter, or something along those lines.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The console I am looking at does not have the RF wired in, and is basically what is shown here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mattel-Intellivi...item20b0aef609

(No video out of any kind included, but the power is hard-wired in)

But I suppose it will be easy enough to find an RF out and get that adapter as well, maybe spending less than 10 bucks.
    No, I'm Mr. Big Lucky Flavor!

Strawberry (Level 2) mario2butts's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

OK yeah sorry, it's been a awhile since I had my Intellivision... in any case there should be a female RCA jack on the back of the unit, so you would just need a male to male RCA cable and the F adapter. Now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure I just rarely unplugged the RCA cable from the system, leading me to think it was hard wired. Sorry for my crappy memory