Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What do you think of Gamefaqs?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default What do you think of Gamefaqs?

Discuss
    U GAIZ JUST DONT LIKE CHANGE , (builds a artificial foundation here)

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Like.

Part of the #vbender crew Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Abstract Zero
    PSN
    Ze_roV
    Steam
    abstractzero

The FAQs themselves are useful. The forums and the rest of the site are pretty terrible.

Is there any better source for FAQs out there?

--Zero

Apple (Level 5) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Like the site, dislike the Admins and most of the Mods
    What's up with islands? Get more land.
    What's up with deserts? Get less sand.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Are we going to create a trend here? Anyway, I enjoy using the guides whenever I get stuck on a game. Youtube guides are slowly becoming more useful, but sometimes it just helps to read what I need to do in text.

I think the forums speak for themselves. They are infamous for a reason.
    I have a sig?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

GameFAQs saves me lots of time on games I don't want to play longer than I feel I have to. Yay for that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

yeah, i don't think i've ever made a post in the forums there without getting flamed, it's dumb.
    on the other hand, it's probably the place i use most for FAQs, cheats, etc. they're usually pretty well written, though sometimes i do find myself just watching youtube walkthroughs over and over.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Ze_ro View Post
    The FAQs themselves are useful. The forums and the rest of the site are pretty terrible.
    You just have to go to the right ones. Any forums dealing with mainstream subjects are overran by idiots, and forums in subjects too obscure or old are abandoned or being spammed.

But in between, there's some good discussion going on here and there even though it's extremely rare and unusual for the site. In particular, I've participated in a couple of the forums that actually had a developer from the project being discussed that would regularly participate.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 04-19-2014 at 08:37 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Though LUE on Gamefaqs, has become less douchebagish compared to the other forums due to it being closed off, and a good majority of the users not being there any more. LUE is the only board on Gamefaqs I really go to, I sometimes go to the Genesis and SNES boards but thats it.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Gamefaqs is good. The best guides on there are specialty guides. I usually don't use standard guides and only use specialty guides.

Legend of Mana has a detailed item creation guide, Tactics Ogre has plenty of detailed job class guides, Dragon Warrior 7 has the Final Town guides, SaGa Frontier 2 with the move lists for duels(so attacks aren't learned so randomly,) and fighting game guides.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Gamefaqs forums are the Hell that bad gaming forums go to when they die. The admins are Satan, the mods are demons, and the posters are the souls of retarded children.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Urzu402 View Post
    Though LUE on Gamefaqs, has become less douchebagish compared to the other forums due to it being closed off, and a good majority of the users not being there any more. LUE is the only board on Gamefaqs I really go to, I sometimes go to the Genesis and SNES boards but thats it.

I was lost in the excLUEsion. Man, I miss those times!

Edit: tried to post LUEshi, but it's too much trouble to format!
    Last edited by davepesc; 05-03-2010 at 10:34 PM.
    It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass.

Insert Coin (Level 0) ConsoleAddict's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think everybody here has explained in detail about what I think about GameFaqs.

Honestly, the more popular the game, the worse the people on that game's forum are. Also, they have so many dumb rules. You would think that these kids would want to go somewhere with more leeway but no. Then again, they're kids. They don't know any better.

Great Faqs and cheats but the forums are terrible and overrun by kids.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think their forums would probably be much less terrible if they had a more centralized structure. Their current model of thousands of tiny, unconnected cubbyholes doesn't really allow for any significant community (or level of posting quality) to grow or develop.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Berserker View Post
    I think their forums would probably be much less terrible if they had a more centralized structure. Their current model of thousands of tiny, unconnected cubbyholes doesn't really allow for any significant community (or level of posting quality) to grow or develop.
    Most of the Social Boards from what i understand on Gamefaqs have their own mini-community. Most of the game boards don't unless you get a group of people on an abandoned board probably for an old unknown game. Or one of the popular FPS games. But like I said I only go to one board on there. Mainly because I don't want to try fitting into another Community. I had a hard time fitting in here at DP .

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I don't understand why the quality or lack thereof of GameFAQs is brought up so often on other gaming boards. GameFAQs bashing is so 2003.

Anyway, it's the best resource for FAQs obviously, and while the quality of many leaves something to be desired, there are also plenty of talented writers. There used to be a very talented reviewing circle too, but it's pretty deserted at this point, with the old notables on HonestGamers now. I find a lot of the additional resources very useful too, like the basic data, box art, and screen shots. I do visit and post on the boards on a regular basis, but I basically stick to a few specific games, a couple hardware general boards (but definitely not the ones for any current systems), and the contributor boards. As for the ones saved on favorites list, I always keep the boards for tri-Ace's games in there to offer my knowledge and keep up with news, the games I written FAQs on in case anyone ever has questions, a few other favorite games, and usually whatever I happen to be playing at the moment, in case I end up having questions or to learn interesting details I may not discover on my own. That about covers my GameFAQs experience. In my 10 years on there, I don't think I've ever clicked on LUE as I avoid those cesspool boards like the plague.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    b0xwater
    PSN
    is_vigilante

I used to post on current events and on the Pokemon wifi trading board but got banned

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Urzu402 View Post
    Most of the Social Boards from what i understand on Gamefaqs have their own mini-community. Most of the game boards don't unless you get a group of people on an abandoned board probably for an old unknown game. Or one of the popular FPS games. But like I said I only go to one board on there. Mainly because I don't want to try fitting into another Community. I had a hard time fitting in here at DP .
    Have you ever known someone who was really intelligent and expressive in real life, but then when you talk to them online they come off as a completely different person?

Representing what you think/feel accurately through text is a skill - and until you develop it, you're probably going to stink at it. I know the way that I got to be at least decent at it was by being around and talking to people who were already proficient at it, in places like this. You may not even be aware of it, but over time it does have an effect on you. I've seen it happen with plenty of others here as well. Gradually, they just seem to get better at saying what's on their mind.

But before you can have a chance to do all that, you do have to sort of settle in to the community in question which, as you've mentioned, can be a pretty difficult adjustment. The problem with a place like GameFAQs is that you're in a constant state of that adjustment. GameFAQs isn't a community - it's a collection of thousands of micro-communities that operate mostly unaware of each others' existence. That means that every time you want to talk about a different game, you basically have to start all over again and re-settle into a new community.

So in terms of that "skill" I mentioned earlier, what you walk into GameFAQs with is usually what you walk out with - you don't really get a chance to improve at it there. That's why I think the average posting quality there is so dramatically bad. It's somehow even worse at IMDb, whose forums follow a similar model.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm there to use the FAQ's, but as for the rest of the site..... I'll pass.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i am angry at message boards. message baords make me angry.