Ladd Spencer (Level 17)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Scooterb23

Default MMMC - Gyruss

We're going to make this simple. We all know Gyruss, we all love Gyruss. So surely we'll all play Gyruss, right?

Let's up the stakes a little bit as well. High score posted by Sunday night gets to make the next pick!!

I'd like to see some screenshots, but not necessary. Just play fair

Have fun!

drop.io/dpmameclub

if you need the rom.
    Last edited by scooterb23; 05-12-2010 at 09:42 AM.
    gamesandgrub.blogspot.com - My blog about boardgames, and sometimes food.
    roomwithaviewmaster.tumblr.com - My blog about Viewmaster collecting

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Talking

Really getting pumped up over this gimmick game, huh? I'm gonna go think about running tubes or something. (I like Exerion better, but it's been a little while since I've seen this one.)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

There are a lot of games on MAME that I'm just as good with a keyboard as I am with a joystick, but Gyruss isn't one of them. My fingers always end up tripping over one another on this game. Time to bust out a stick and see what I can do.

A few years ago I went to a local laser tag place that was trying to open up. They had a big sign on the wall that said "Arcade" and, hell, at least 150 feet of wall space ... and only one game. Gyruss. Just this entire, big empty wall, and only one game. It was the saddest thing ever ... and of course I played a game.

EDIT:

Last edited by Flack; 05-04-2010 at 05:54 AM.

Authordreamweavervisionar yplusactor Arcade Antics's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Flack View Post
    A few years ago I went to a local laser tag place that was trying to open up. They had a big sign on the wall that said "Arcade" and, hell, at least 150 feet of wall space ... and only one game. Gyruss. Just this entire, big empty wall, and only one game. It was the saddest thing ever ... and of course I played a game.
    GREAT pic, thanks for sharing!

That arcade is still better than 90% of the arcades open today.
    Selling collection, Atari through XBox. Send a PM with whatever games you're looking for.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Bloodreign75

58,600 Stage 9

I actually prefer the NES version of this one, but this one has nice stereo sound, but I did this with not the best control setup for it on a keyboard. Still a solid Konami game that I've seen in real arcade form once, at a doctors office that had DK and DK Jr around it. The NES one I have here at home with me, I run it now and then, it's just fun as hell to play.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro View Post
    Really getting pumped up over this gimmick game, huh?
    True. I wonder what you'd call a Japanese shooter with a super-convoluted scoring system?

Anyway, I'll give this a go this week. I havn't flipped on my MAME PC in a while, but I have this one on my multi, so I'll give it a go. I've been too busy playing Asteroids and the Pac-Man games lately, that I haven't been toying around with MAME. The more I play on arcade controls the less I want to play an arcade game on a PC gamepad.

Nice pic Flack. You can't help to put a few quarters in it, it looks so sad.
    Last edited by TheDomesticInstitution; 05-05-2010 at 09:16 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

I actually played a couple games of Gyruss on my Mini MAME cabinet Monday night while at my parent's house. I had my brother turn the cabinet on and send me a picture of the high score screen (woohoo hiscore.dat).

104,150. I should have checked the boards before leaving, I would have played more.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

2nd Try. I've never played Gyruss much. It seems a little like Galaga. Although it took me a few more times at Galaga to reach that score.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I never really went for Gyruss, whenever I play it it makes me say "I'd rather be playing Tempest". And even Tempest doesn't excite me much.

Oh, and here's your screenshot

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodreign View Post
    I actually prefer the NES version of this one...
    Agreed, the NES version is basically an expanded and enhanced version of the original. I did a comparative review for Retrogaming Times Monthly issue #52 back in September 2008. It's not yet archived at the new RTM site but my personal archive of it is here.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by TheDomesticInstitution View Post
    True. I wonder what you'd call a Japanese shooter with a super-convoluted scoring system?
    Fun to play?

Stuff like Raiden Fighters Jet, if that's what you're referring to, is actually pretty easy to come to grips with after a while, and it's actually fun whether or not you decide to do that. I think that having some hidden surprises - depth - can be a good thing. After all, the appeal of repeat plays of the classic arcade games (by experts at least) was the prospect of "figuring out" the game.

RFJ is an extreme for me; mostly I just like stuff that's...well, easy to play. Gyruss is pretty self-explanatory but that damn perspective just makes it harder to figure out what's going on than need be.
    Last edited by Ed Oscuro; 05-07-2010 at 10:40 PM.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Fun to play?

Stuff like Raiden Fighters Jet, if that's what you're referring to, is actually pretty easy to come to grips with after a while, and it's actually fun whether or not you decide to do that. I think that having some hidden surprises - depth - can be a good thing. After all, the appeal of repeat plays of the classic arcade games (by experts at least) was the prospect of "figuring out" the game.

RFJ is an extreme for me; mostly I just like stuff that's...well, easy to play. Gyruss is pretty self-explanatory but that damn perspective just makes it harder to figure out what's going on than need be.
    I was just poking fun really. It's hard to argue which type of game is better, and there seem to be plenty of gimmicky Japanese shooters. You seem to be more in the JAMMA camp anyway, so you're a little more biased- like I am toward the older games. That said, this game is just alright and it doesn't get the attention that some of the other classics do. There's probably a reason for that.

To anyone who's played Tempest, isn't this just an update of that game? It looks like it to me, but I've really only seen screenshots and read gameplay descriptions.

EDIT:

Quote Originally Posted by XYXZYZ View Post
    I never really went for Gyruss, whenever I play it it makes me say "I'd rather be playing Tempest". And even Tempest doesn't excite me much.

...oops

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd like to throw Asteroids or Fast Pac-man into the mix for upcoming weeks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

It's hard to argue which type of game is better
    How many games are there in the Raiden Fighters series? And in the Gyruss series?

You must not know me very well to be accusing me of "JAMMA bias." I play games older than Gyruss, and a good number older than the JAMMA standard (mostly Konami, too). I like Juno First ('84) a lot because there's actually some strategy involved other than throwing darts blindly (which sort of describes the part of Gyruss which is not hoping that you're not in the way of an enemy swooping to the edge of the screen to plant a bullet you can't dodge in your face).

And please don't insult folks and then say "just poking fun really," it makes you look like a douche.

After a few minutes, I've only made a little over 36K in this game. Could do better.
    Last edited by Ed Oscuro; 05-09-2010 at 01:20 AM.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

How many games are there in the Raiden Fighters series? And in the Gyruss series?

You must not know me very well to be accusing me of "JAMMA bias." I play games older than Gyruss, and a good number older than the JAMMA standard (mostly Konami, too). I like Juno First ('84) a lot because there's actually some strategy involved other than throwing darts blindly (which sort of describes the part of Gyruss which is not hoping that you're not in the way of an enemy swooping to the edge of the screen to plant a bullet you can't dodge in your face).

And please don't insult folks and then say "just poking fun really," it makes you look like a douche.

After a few minutes, I've only made a little over 36K in this game. Could do better.
    Chill out. Re-read my post. If you're going to take some of my harmless joking about VIDEO GAMES as some sort of personal insult, then I don't know what to say. Also "douche?" I figured I could joke around a bit with you, but I guess I was wrong.
    Last edited by TheDomesticInstitution; 05-09-2010 at 07:09 AM.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Scooterb23

Video games. Serious business. Take it down a few thousand notches plz? k thx.

Remember, you have til tonight at midnight EST to post a score to pick next week's game.

InsaneDavid has the lead so far with 104150
    gamesandgrub.blogspot.com - My blog about boardgames, and sometimes food.
    roomwithaviewmaster.tumblr.com - My blog about Viewmaster collecting

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Well, when you get it right the first time...

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This is after an hour of working at it today. I'm beginning to like the game more.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

If I happen to remain on top, I choose Sly Spy for next week.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Chill out. Re-read my post. If you're going to take some of my harmless joking about VIDEO GAMES as some sort of personal insult, then I don't know what to say. Also "douche?" I figured I could joke around a bit with you, but I guess I was wrong.
    I can't say I'll miss "just poking fun."

But Gyruss... ;P