Thread: Neo Geo MVS - Converted Cab questions...

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Neo Geo MVS - Converted Cab questions...

I've been seriously considering getting an arcade machine for the last few months. I've found a local company that sells/fixes/distributes arcade/vending goods, and the guy's prices aren't too bad. Definitely better than eBay or the local Craigslist stuff.

Anyway, I've been trying to track down a Neo Geo MVS. Specifically, a 4-slot. There's a few other cabs I'd like to own (CPS2, Playchoice-10), but the MVS seems like the best option.

Only problem is, there doesn't seem to be any of them within driving distance. And even then, the ones I've seen are incredibly expensive. The guy who owns the local arcade/vending business said that it would be hard to track down an MVS because of the little demand the machine has.

So, since I've pretty much got my heart set on getting a MVS, I've been thinking about getting a non-working cab for cheap (less than $100), taking out the old board/harness/what-have-you, and putting in a Neo Geo motherboard and the necessary controls in place of the old game's stuff.

So, would it be a cost-effective venture to get the Neo Geo parts needed, and get a non-working cab with a monitor and replace everything inside with Neo Geo stuff? Or am I better off buying a Supergun or waiting until an MVS shows up in my general area?

I assume that all I'll need besides the cabinet itself, and Neo Geo parts/harnesses/controls is a re-done control panel, a compatible power supply, and a compatible monitor. Am I correct?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon
    <Sothy> its the internet <Sothy> who cares

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    This is a classic gaming site and the most active thread is a load of people wanking off to my little pony.

Authordreamweavervisionar yplusactor Arcade Antics's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sixwayshot View Post
    So, would it be a cost-effective venture to get the Neo Geo parts needed, and get a non-working cab with a monitor and replace everything inside with Neo Geo stuff?
    No, you'll spend more money and more time with this approach.

Or am I better off... waiting until an MVS shows up in my general area?
    Yes. NG cabs are very common.
    Selling collection, Atari through XBox. Send a PM with whatever games you're looking for.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd agree with Arcade Antics. Much easier/cheaper to start with a working cab than to build the internals from scratch. MVS cabs are common and you should be able to get one for $250-$500 depending on condition, number of slots, included games. Should be able to find one locally on craigslist or arcade forums like klov.com with some patience.

A few suggestions though...
    If you're planning to get a xxx-in-1 MVS multicart you're better off with a 1-slot. Having carts in other slots usually causes glitches with the multicarts, so you'd probably be leaving the other slots empty anyway.

I'd hold out for a cab with a 25" monitor. If you're patient you can find something 25" for a decent price and it's much nicer for 2-player gaming.

I've got a 25" Capcom Dynamo cab and it's great. Almost a universal cab for horizontal orientation arcade games. The 2 player 6-button control panel is all quick disconnects and can quickly be re-wired however I want. And, it's very easy to swap PCBs on the pull-out shelf. I've got a 1-slot MVS motherboard in it right now and the buttons wired as:
    A x C
    B x D
    for Neo Geo fighting games. When I want to play 'traditional' Neo Geo games, I just swap the B button from LK to MP. The D placement is a little awkward, but it isn't used by many non-fighting games anyway. I'd like to get a dedicated Neo Geo cab later, but for now the Capcom can cover the 4 button setup pretty well and supports any 5 and 6 button games too.

A cheap supergun is a great way to start out while looking for a cab. If you're comfortable with wiring, just start with a JAMMA harness and cheap 15kHz RGB monitor (1084S/NEC 3D/etc) or neobitz/jrok video encoder if you want to use a TV. If you don't want to take on the wiring, the Vogatek supergun is a great shortcut. (The seller has been flaky lately though so beware) A supergun is a great way to learn when starting out and very useful for testing PCBs outside of cabs.
    Last edited by tomwaits; 05-04-2010 at 01:28 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A supergun seems like it's the best option for me right now, as I can't find a decent cabinet right now and pretty much everyone here said that I'd be better off getting a dedicated MVS... Plus, with a supergun, I can try out CPS2 games, or, hell, any board I can get a hold of...

What would be a good place to start with superguns for someone who doesn't know too much about wiring (and thus any hand-made product I make would probably be terrible)?

What are some of the best pre-made superguns?

What are the most affordable ones?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've been happy with the Vogatek Mk.III. It's by FAR the cheapest supergun unless you just wire up a JAMMA harness yourself. There's some wiring work, but it's not much harder than assembling a PC. There's no casing though... and no easy way to build one around it. It's definitely a ghetto/test bench looking supergun.

He's currently selling the Mk.II (s-video/composite) and Mk.III (SCART RGB) models. He was offering Mk.IV and Mk.V pre-buys for a while, but there were lots of delays after payment and people were posting negative feedback. He ended up scrapping his old ebay ID but it *looks* like he's got his act together again selling only his older versions:

http://shop.ebay.com/filomena*10/m.html

I've read that the Mk.II s-video/composite output is just ok. If you're concerned about video quality, you might be better off with the Mk.III and a 15kHz RGB monitor or a Mk.III and jrok/neobitz RGB video encoder.

Can't help on comparing the Supernovas, Arcade@home, or other 'professional' enclosed superguns. The cases look better than the raw Vogatek and I'm sure they offer better s-video/composite, but not sure what else you're getting for the $250+

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, as luck would have it, A CL listing showed a guy in Arcadia selling a Neo Geo cab for $350. Only I have to pass on it because I have no way of transporting it. Found out that both of the two vehicles I could use are not nearly big enough for a full cab.

So, I guess my only option is a Supergun. I'm leaning towards pre-made ones, though, as I literally cannot solder to save my life, and though it may be cheaper to make my own, for someone like me, it'll take a long time to make one.

Those vogatek things look cool, but "wiring work" does turn me off a bit. Does anyone here know of any other good superguns that aren't too expensive? I don't need a gigantic setup with flashing lights and all that, just something where I can plug a board in and play it.

I'd also like to see if there are any sites that sell 6-button arcade sticks for setups like this. If I'm going to invest in a supergun, it'd be good to have a 6-button setup in case I ever get a CPS2 board or two...