Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any way to get over this feeling when collecting?

Insert Coin (Level 0) peachstapler's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Urzu402 View Post
    I already own a Sega CD, Sega Saturn, and Sega Dreamcast and even a Game Gear (no Master System). but those don't give me the satisfaction I seek.
    Maybe you need to go outside for a walk?

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's an acquired skill, perhaps a few have a touch on innate ability, but learning how to efficiently order yourself and prioritize is gold when you are seeking multiple platforms worth of goodies. Although, when you have an opportunity sometimes you have to say, "To hell with the plan." for a bit and jump on what you can, when you can. My 'focus' tends to shifts quite a bit. I don't worry about it too much. It's the thrill of the hunt and the satisfaction of finding unexpected things for less than you thought you'd have to pay up to start with.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Collecting games and playing games are not always the same thing as I'm sure most of us here know.

My suggestion is to figure out what Genesis game you want to play and buy it. Play it until you beat it and then, and ONLY then, buy another Genesis game. I'm sure it will take you a while to beat each game so you can spend the bulk of your collecting money on SNES since you have the desire to collect for that platform.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've tried the whole, "not going to buy another game until I beat the last one". Never works for me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by XYXZYZ View Post
    I say let SNES go for now. Why do you want to get over the Genesis phase? Just enjoy it.
    I could not have said this better myself. If you are enjoying the Genny right now, do not deny it. She is fun and will treat you right.

At this current time, that is what you want to play. Just roll with it and let it happen.

I am like that with my Gamecube and my Dreamcast. I am always torn between playing one and collecting for the other. I seem to always just let the DC take control and roll with it though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Can't you collect for both? I mean most of the games for those two systems are pretty cheap nowadays.

Apple (Level 5) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by duffmanth View Post
    Can't you collect for both? I mean most of the games for those two systems are pretty cheap nowadays.
    I do already, but when it comes to Genesis games I see one an i'm like must get more! because there are so many games that I would like on it and I have so little money. It's like this I just discovered that I like Golden Axe and Golden Axe has one sequel in the US so I feel that I must get it and I did for 8 dollars I got Golden Axe 2 complete
    What's up with islands? Get more land.
    What's up with deserts? Get less sand.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    b0xwater
    PSN
    is_vigilante

Buy whatever games you want to play for whichever system... There's no need to focus on a specific system or try to get all the games, just get the games you want to play.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Oldskool View Post
    I've tried the whole, "not going to buy another game until I beat the last one". Never works for me.
    Same with me. With newer games if it gets a low price and it's something I'm really interested in I'll pick it up. If it's a PSX game I've wanted I'll instantly get it. Same with PS2 games. As long as the games are in mint condition though. I rarely spend money so I can spend hundreds of dollars a month on games if I wanted.

I haven't bought any older games in awhile. But once I start collecting for the Genesis, I'll probably get atleast five or so games a week they're so cheap and it's got a lot I want. My SNES collection will be like Urzu's in comparison to his Genesis collection in a short while after I start collecting Genesis.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 05-06-2010 at 10:48 PM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    My SNES collection will be like Urzu's in comparison to his Genesis collection in a short while after I start collecting Genesis.
    I have like 70/71 SNES and I will have 75 Genesis so it's not even that big of a difference. But there are just a lot more games that I want for the Genesis than the SNES, as a system I like the SNES better.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

I have like 70/71 SNES and I will have 75 Genesis so it's not even that big of a difference. But there are just a lot more games that I want for the Genesis than the SNES, as a system I like the SNES better.
    You've got more than me for both. I don't collect loose copies anymore though.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

If you want to breathe life into your Super Nintendo collecting, I recommend getting a Super Game Boy and treating monochrome Game Boy games as an expansion to your SNES want list. Kind of like the Sega CD & 32X are to the Genesis except a step down in graphics instead of a step up. The Super Game Boy was always one of my favorite ways to enjoy Game Boy games. You'll find there are a lot more good games for the original Game Boy than there are for the Sega CD & 32X expansions.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I do already, but when it comes to Genesis games I see one an i'm like must get more! because there are so many games that I would like on it and I have so little money. It's like this I just discovered that I like Golden Axe and Golden Axe has one sequel in the US so I feel that I must get it and I did for 8 dollars I got Golden Axe 2 complete
    Well I would just stick with what you're into playing right now. There's no sense in trying to get every SNES and Genesis game under the sun if half of them are just going to collect dust.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I mean, I want to collect for the SNES but then I Play Games on the Genesis and I'm like Must get games for Genesis but deep inside I want to collect for the SNES.
    hahah

kid you'll go places

Look, it's like this

Find some game you want and buy it. Find some game you don't want and don't buy it.

The money is saved, the spouse is happier, you're happier! All rejoicing now.

Collecting just for the sake of having Stuff is a waste of money, and a good way to spend more on shit than you should have, and a good way to collect stuff you really would rather not have taking up the space.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Collecting Genesis with the desire to aquire a complete library is a lot cheaper than collecting SNES. Though, lame-ass RPG games will be the most expensive no matter the system as there are a lot of neckbeards who are constantly on the look out. Luckly I got the majority of my rarer games from garage sales.

Edit: I don't see why you can't just collect multiple systems at once... I'm constantly collecting for NES, Genesis/CD/32X, SNES, N64 and Dreamcast.
    Last edited by SEGA; 05-08-2010 at 02:49 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by SEGA View Post
    Edit: I don't see why you can't just collect multiple systems at once... I'm constantly collecting for NES, Genesis/CD/32X, SNES, N64 and Dreamcast.
    See, this is why you're a poster who doesn't have a high post count. You think things through instead of posting new comments immediately on having a thought enter your head.

I doubt that there is anything logistical stopping Urzu from buying multiple games at once; if there were, we'd have heard about it now.

Yes, I totally disrespected myself on purpose right there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I say everyone do what works for you.

For me, I just focus on one system mainly: the SNES. Less stress, and it's all I care about as I have a childhood connection + the fact the library is awesome enough to last an entire lifetime. Some will say but I'm missing out on other system greats... I say you can't play them all anyway. Do what pleases you best, and when you do that, the fire burns... the passion never dies. Keeping things simple is a virtue in and of itself. I find it very satisfying to "max out" a system. That's just me, though. What works for me may or may not work for another individual. But I'm me.... so this is how I do it

It also helps to be "at peace" with where you collection stands. Been so for the last 2 years or so and just enjoying the games I have. It's been a blast on so many different levels. There was a time four years ago when I was collecting NES-GEN-SNES. Eventually sold off the NES and Genesis. No regrets.

RVGFANATIC: SNES, Saturn, mad ramblings and more
    RELIVE | REMEMBER | REPLAY

Brand new URL!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Oh I'm not saying that I don't buy SNES games I do my last SNES game purchased was Super Street Fighter II. But I recently bought a bunch more Genesis games thats why my Genesis collection is now out numbering my SNES collection. When I get a Genesis game I'm like must get more (I already explained that). But when i get an SNES game im like thats awesome and it doesn't give me a desire to get more SNES. I will pick-up a SNES game from time to time like I said, but I can always go for a good Genesis game.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Red Baron's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just go with the flow. I didn't think I'd ever collect Genesis games at all, but then I finally got the means to actually _play_ Genesis games, so I started out of the blue.

For all you know, it's just a phase anyway, and after enough Genesis games your collecting urges will naturally even out.