Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you feel content with your collection?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Do you feel content with your collection?

google 4 gaga
    Last edited by UnpluggedClone; 05-28-2010 at 06:38 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My collecting has really kicked off since last summer. Before then, I didn't have too many old games (NES didn't work, SNES games were good but over-played, etc...), and my game collection was basically a ton of ROMs/Wii Virtual Console titles.

Last May, I had a ton of things happen in my life that got me to start buying old games. Sure, the ROMs are great, but it's cool to have the original carts.

Since last May, I've bought tons of games and consoles. I've got a hell of a collection right now. It's enough that I could probably spend the next year or so playing games.

The problem is, there's always something better out there.

So, am I content? Yeah, I am. But there's always something I'm missing. I've got Final Fantasy II for the SNES, but not FFIII. This drives me nuts. One hole gets filled, another opens up.

So, am I content? I should be. I am. It's just that I like going out and finding more games.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    buzz_retro64

I'm pretty happy with the collection I have now, but I know it'll never be complete. There will always be games I want. Even if I get every game on my want list, I'll keep adding games to that list as time goes on. I would love to have a neo-geo someday, but I am fine without it, but once my want list goes down, and my income goes up, it will make its way into my want list and collection.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

yeah, for me, it's very system by system
    my saturn, dreamcast, ps2, and xbox libraries are all pretty satisfactory, save a couple games here or there.
    but other systems, say my newly acquired gamecube and pc-engine, i'm not even close.
    and then you've got the snes, nes, and genesis, where there're plenty of games i still want, but they're not at the forefront, but if i see them, i'll still snag them.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

I only keep games in my collection that I like, so I'm happy with my collection. However because there are a lot of other games I've played that I like but don't own, then my collection still isn't completed.

The Sega Genesis for example. There are a bunch of games I need to purchase for this system and hopefully I get around to purchasing them before they actually do become expensive. Sega CD I own three games(Lunar, Lunar 2, Dark Wizard) and my collection is already almost complete, but it just so happens that the ones I like that I don't own are the really expensive games.

There's also a couple PSX games that I currently don't own that I want but I want in mint condition and priced affordably. Some I used to own but sold because they were my least favorites and I really wanted another game that came out, or some I've never owned. It's not a complete collection, but it'll be all the games I want to own so it'll be complete for me. Atleast until I decide to collect variations of Alundra which one day I'll want to do.

Some systems I will eventually collect for but currently I don't. TG16, TG16CD, Saturn, and Dreamcast(I used to own PSO but I gave it away as I didn't own the system, I was just borrowing it.)

GB, GBC, GBA, SNES, NES. I'm missing a ton. I've started collecting CIB only so over half my NES collection needs boxes and manuals.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 05-06-2010 at 01:17 AM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

google 4 gaga

Pac-Man (Level 10) mobiusclimber's Avatar
    Up In Your Bitch Is Where You Might Find Me
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think when I realized I had so many games that I couldn't decide what I wanted to play, that's when I was content w/ my collection. Used to be I'd get one game and play it, get another one and play it... now I've got so many games, it's gotten to be ridiculous. I feel like I could stop collecting and it wouldn't matter. While I don't have every game I want, I have enough right now that I'm happy with it.
    My DP Feedback Thread: Here!
    I Post On The Blog At RisingStuff.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Bloodreign75

I'm happy with what I own thus far, but I still feel I'm a long way from achieving my goal, also I consider some games that are too pricy for my income as dreams that I want in reality to have with me, but I know that are just that, dreams. I see my collection and always find something I'm missing that I must have, I do my best to fill in things as I go along, but there will always be holes in the collection. It's an addiction as well as a hobby, you just have to satisfy the addiction as best as you can and within your means.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm very content with mine as it currently stands. There's a few more games from each platform that I'd like to add but that's about it. Hopefully I can finish off those goals by year-end then take a nice long break from collecting. I don't really buy / sell that much when the weather is nice anyway.
    WTB Clayfighter Sculptor's Cut Manual Only... PM ME!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm pretty content with my collection. I have probably around 200 games and maybe five consoles, a nice mix of old and new. I don't like tons of shit laying around, so I will never be one of these collectors who has an entire room or section of a house full of games. I'm not the type of person that will hit the game stores, flee markets, and yard sales on a weekly or monthly basis and buy tons of games just cuz they're cheap. At the same time, I'm always on the lookout for something that catches my eye, and will pick up older, vintage games here and there. I only average about a half dozen or so new releases/year.
    Last edited by duffmanth; 05-06-2010 at 06:30 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Honestly right now I have more then Id ever want, which is why Im ditching the Genesis related stuff. Im happy enough with my Pc-Engine, Nes, Pc, and NeoGeo Cd stuff. Most of my gaming is done on Pc these days, but every now and then on a weekend Ill hit one of the systems.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

I'm not content with my collection (I have too much stuff now and want to sell most of it) But I do feel the way you described, Whatever I collect now is just for fun and is not just to have stuff. I'm only interested in collecting Saturn and Pinball games now.

Austin

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My collection is pretty small compared to some people on this board, with less than 200 games and 28 consoles, but I've only been collecting for a few years now so I feel like I have all the time in the world to expand my collection. I do own many systems that I didn't even know existed when I started collecting (Famicom Twin, Laseractive, Vectrex, Gakken TV Boy, etc.), so in that way I have more than I could have dreamed of when I started. I am pretty happy with my collection, but there's lots of stuff that I still want.
    Quote Originally Posted by UnpluggedClone View Post
    I would love to have more turbo graphx games but they are so damn expensive...
    This. I probably would still be searching Kijiji and pawnshops daily if it wasn't for my lack of money (and a job to get said money). So while I'm content, I still very much feel the drive to collect more.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I am very content but still set goals for myself. I have 3 fullsets, which is incredible for me.

When I started off actually getting into the collecting culture, I was at about 350 games, and since then (about 5 years later and collecting over time) I am at about 1450. I am fine with that. Some people are 5000+ and that is their choice.

One thing I learned from being a collector is to never, ever compare your collection to another person's unless you want to completely mimick what they have and have the monetary means of doing so.

Collect what you want and enjoy it

I have a room stuffed to the brim with games and a 100 inch projector to play them on.

The only other fullset that I am truly trying to get is a DC fullset. Other than that, just like you said, everything beyond that is just icing on the cake.

If I was told I could not collect a single game beyond what I have, I would still be satisfied.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I've been at peace with my game collection for at least 2 years now. It feels great to be out of the "rat race" so to speak and know you can just sit back and enjoy what you have... rather than constantly on the look-out for your next "big" acquisition.

I can't complain, really.

EDIT: WHOA!

I made a very similar topic to this one nearly two years ago, on the dot!

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=116695
    Last edited by Steven; 05-06-2010 at 03:40 PM.

RVGFANATIC: SNES, Saturn, mad ramblings and more
    RELIVE | REMEMBER | REPLAY

Brand new URL!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

google 4 gaga

The Gentleman Thief Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    BalooDP
    Steam
    baloorj

Since around last summer I've been getting out of collecting. Before then I'd scoop up whatever I could get my hands on, and now I'm trying to get rid of it, because I don't really play it. Sure, I'll buy games for systems here and there, but nowhere near as much as I used to. Now I'm trying to get rid of the games that I know I'm not going to really play for cash for other things.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I'm content with my collection since I only acquire the games that I actually want to play. I have too many games to finish, even if I took a few years off from work and gamed everyday, so I'm straight. I don't collect for volume, and I couldn't care less about finding rare titles just because they're rare. It's cool that others enjoy that, but it's just not my thing.

As I've said before, I'm not a game collector so much as a gamer with a collection.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    b0xwater
    PSN
    is_vigilante

Yep, the only games I buy for myself lately are new ones I want to play. All other games I buy are resold for stuff I need or TCGs. I don't see a point in collecting anymore and have realized how much I hate clutter.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I have now reached the point where it is quality over quantity. I will only buy games that are good. I try and research games and see if I would really like them. I am only a few dozen games away from a complete NES collection but I will probably never buy the rest. Most of the NES games I need are only $2-5 each, but I dont see the point in buying them. I would rather add a good repro game or a good PAL game.