Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: New retro consoles! Retron 3 and Retro Twin

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Of course this news would come out just as I picked up a Genesis model 2 the previous week (local Goodwill; all cords and controllers included, good shape, $12). Still, I've been on the lookout for this sort of 3-in-1 -specifically with S-video, since regular composite looks pretty terrible on my LCD, especially with the Genesis.

Any ball park release dates? I'd like to be able to use StoneAgeGamer's coupon codes, which have an expiry date.

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Retron 3 I'm looking forward to. If it's an upgraded version of the NOAC used on the FCM2, it must be pretty good. The guy at Atari Age said that Castlevania 3 works. I'd like to see how it looks in its final stages. Official controller slots on all 3 systems was a brilliant design choice.

Retro Twin looks unnecessary. We have FC Twin, Retro Duo, FC Dual, and now this. Unless it can top Retro Duo there's really no point.
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Since I'm sure he's going to carry these, I'd like to take a moment to recommend Stone Age Gamer's online store.

Of course I do the lion's share of my business with Joe at the DP Store, but if you're not local to Clifton NJ you shouldn't hesitate to pick up one of these units from www.stoneagegamer.com

I picked up a second Retro Gen unit a few weeks back and the price shipping time and packing were all top notch.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

And if you Live in Puerto Rico these will be available at Neo Japan Games so you don't have to pay shipping

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd like to see a clone that uses ORIGINAL HARDWARE. I'm talkin' real 6502 processor, a PPU with S-Video out, stereo sound, and best of all... It'd be toploading. But I'm dreaming. These NOAC clone companies are too damn cheap to do something like that. Well, I can dream. Or, I can just rip a PPU out of a Vs. Tennis and use that for my RGB. If only I had money...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Maybe the basic processor would help, but it's fine to use equivalents of video circuits and sound circuits like they've been doing. The FC3 Plus does actually use a Genesis video circuit and the Genesis video is still off.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyDean View Post
    You know, Eyedunno, its very easy to region mod a model 1 genesis. Then you get a multiregion console with correct sound and the highest compatability possible!
    I'm certainly willing to settle for 95% in the sound department though from a console that will play games from both Gen and NES. As I said before, I'm not really a huge fan of either console, and there are 10 or fewer games per console I would actually care to own (mainly the Mario games, Zelda, Shadowgate, and a few others for NES, and PSIV, the Sonic games, The Lost Vikings, and Decap Attack for Genesis).

What I've heard from clones thus far is nowhere near 95% though. The licensed Genny clones in particular are just atrocious (which is a shame, because the Firecore is absolutely gorgeous, IMO, and I don't even mind the lack of stereo).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, but I want them to make a clone using the EXACT schematics. Except with VCR6 compatibility and stereo, so I can play some Japanese Castlevania 3 the way it was meant to be played. Or, I can hack up my NES, either one of the two. I already oc'd it, and this mf'er is screamin' for another mod.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The problem is cost. The makers have to keep cost down and make it as good as possible. I think the clones are very good for what they are. I love the ease of having just one system hooked up to my livingroom TV. I do however have all the original systems hooked up in my gameroom downstairs. For a second system or for a casual gamer, these systems are good.
    Last edited by MachineGex; 05-10-2010 at 10:01 AM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I really love the Wireless Controllers! I own all original Systems, but I what I really need is the Wireless Controllers for all my Systems.

SNES, NES, Genesis!

I don't need this Clones...i need Wireless Controllers for the original ones. I hope they make them in future. I would pay the same price for this as for the clones.

Ah here is an video of this new clone:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vh02fdAHD0s
    Last edited by Heinz2001; 05-07-2010 at 05:30 AM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Saw the video..

no mario rpg compatibility, bummer.

Did he just say Paper mario? lol

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm not one for clone hardware, but the Retron 3 has managed to catch my eye. $70 is a little more scratch than I would expect in the world of clones, but the features justify it. Just wish it wasn't so... Red. Ugliest possible console color ever IMO.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by neojapan View Post
    Saw the video..

no mario rpg compatibility, bummer.

Did he just say Paper mario? lol
    My question is, which version of Super Mario RPG did they test?

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by BetaWolf47 View Post
    My question is, which version of Super Mario RPG did they test?
    V1.0 (or, whatever the first run US version is) should run in any SNES clone, it runs on all the previous ones.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, I am still excited about this. Other than the Genesis side, FC3 Plus was a disappointment. I'll wait for your thread on it first though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Icarus Moonsight View Post
    I'm not one for clone hardware, but the Retron 3 has managed to catch my eye. $70 is a little more scratch than I would expect in the world of clones, but the features justify it. Just wish it wasn't so... Red. Ugliest possible console color ever IMO.
    Don't mind the colors, but hate the circular things at the bottom of the console at each corner. Makes it look terrible.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Agreed. Those circular "feet" make it look uglier than it already is. When will we ever get a good-looking clone?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Agreed. Those circular "feet" make it look uglier than it already is. When will we ever get a good-looking clone?
    When you fork out the money to build it yourself.

This system looks to be pretty cool. Classic VGM will be reviewing this one also, so as soon as I get this in my hands, some opinion of what it can do will be left here. Seriously though, the fact that it uses the same chip set as the Tech Toy Genesis systems do, I am sure we will have close to perfect emulation on the Genesis side of things. The system also runs Castlevania III perfectly. I guess we will see though. Either way, you want perfect compatibility, then don't get a clone system. Easy answer.
    Last edited by T2KFreeker; 05-09-2010 at 09:08 PM.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'll wait around and see if they're compatible with Powerpaks. If yes then I'm about to drop some serious money here soon.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

If I ever see one of these I'm going to scratch out the "RET" and add "MO." What an ... interesting choice of name.

S-Video, no big deal, already got that on the SNES, and the A/V FC / NES don't need it. Would be more interested in VGA out or something similar. I guess we'll eventually be seeing horrible things like emulated scanlines to HDMI on these retroclones so perhaps I shouldn't wish for anything, because they'll make it.

On the video circuitry side, there definitely are some improvements that can be made with the NTSC color encoder chip, just as Arasoi.
    Except with VCR6 compatibility and stereo, so I can play some Japanese Castlevania 3 the way it was meant to be played.
    At the very least that would require breaking compatibility with the NES since those pins weren't wired up. I think (though may be wrong) that would hold true even if you used a converter to change the number of pins (Famicom and NES have different numbers of pins as we all know, and some games use them).
    Quote Originally Posted by MachineGex View Post
    The problem is cost. The makers have to keep cost down and make it as good as possible.
    You can say this about anything. They are going to have to spend some money reverse engineering the system already; how much can components with performance equivalent to hardware that's 20+ years old cost?

Unless there is absolute perfect compatibility and special new features (specifically ones that would assist in multiple video output, capturing replays, etc.) are added, clones can't interest me.
    Last edited by Ed Oscuro; 05-07-2010 at 09:54 PM.