Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: New retro consoles! Retron 3 and Retro Twin

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just got the retron 3, just tested mario RPG and it doesn't work, castlevania 3 neither, the genesis part accepts super street fighter but sounds horrible, sonic 2 and streets of rage sound near perfect if not perfect. The NES part sounds better than the retro duo, will test more later.

Retro Twin, tried the same mario RPG cart that i tested on the retron 3 and works, castlevania 3 is not working, and the sound is more or less the same as the retro duo, will continue testing later.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Quote Originally Posted by neojapan View Post
    I just got the retron 3, just tested mario RPG and it doesn't work, castlevania 3 neither, the genesis part accepts super street fighter but sounds horrible, sonic 2 and streets of rage sound near perfect if not perfect. The NES part sounds better than the retro duo, will test more later.

Retro Twin, tried the same mario RPG cart that i tested on the retron 3 and works, castlevania 3 is not working, and the sound is more or less the same as the retro duo, will continue testing later.
    Thanks for the info.

This was my scare: a marginal to no improvement whatsoever. Although I hope further testing sheds some light on the positive side, I am not too confident that it will.

So it's worth it, or should further testing be done to determine that?
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, I have pretty much the same results as neojapan with my Retron3 unit. I do like the way that it is built. The system is very nice looking and the wireless controllers are quite a bit better than I thought they would be. However, my system is not playing my Super Street Fighter II Genesis cart. It will play my Street Fighter II Special Championship cart though. I do like this system a bit more than the Retro Duo though even though it doesn't run Castlevania III. It's a solid build and has a very nice feel to it. Not too light but not really heavy either. The Genesis games look awesome on my HD TV with the S-Video out and the Genesis sound, while not perfect, is very good. Easily one of the best clones I have heard yet. It seems like they are almost perfect with it. Now if only they could get Virtua Racing running! Also, the Super Star Wars games are working brilliantly on my system as well as my Star Fox 2 Repro Cart. I bring up the Star Fox 2 cart because it does not work on the SNES portable that Yobo released, so this is a nice little bonus to have here. Oh, and for the record, on the MANY Genesis carts I have tested, I have not noticed any slowdown compared with the actual hardware, which is another plus. I also have not seen the same graphical screw ups that plagues the Earthworm Jim games in the @tGames built clones either, which is awesome. All in all, I think it's a solid build and a system that would be worth owning if you don't have any of the original systems. Groovy.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I can also confirm that the invisible stage 3 boss glitch in Super Ghouls and Ghosts is present in the RetroN3.

The sound in Super Mario Bros 3 does not have that weird flat static sound that it does on the RetroDuo or FC Mobile 2, but the sound mix itself sounds odd (par for the course on NES clones, I guess?) I'm assuming that the S-video doesn't work on the NES side for anyone else?

I'm really happy that the S-Video works so well on the Genesis, otherwise it would rank as something of a disappointment.

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Virtua Racing does work. They just have a certain pin disconnected for some reason.
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

sorry for the confusion the Super Street Fighter cart was actually SF II CE my friend who was testing the unit at my store told me the wrong name, so yeah no SSF II yet, seems the Retron 3 SNES Side is the same hardware as the Retro Duo. Will test mote later on.

Nes Zapper works

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BetaWolf47 View Post
    Virtua Racing does work. They just have a certain pin disconnected for some reason.
    Well, it does not work on my system which is a tester, so if I cannot confirm it here, I cannot conform it. I wish it did work though as I like the Genesis version quite a bit. Made me sad when it didn't boot up.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Keep the info coming! Can anyone test, say, Phantasy Star IV? I want to get the Japanese version (which I think if anything has less region protection than the US version), but I'd still like to hear it.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Has anyone experienced any odd control issues on the Genesis side? Playing both Castlevania Bloodlines and Arcus Odyssey, I've experienced moments where both the Start and C buttons don't resond (this is using a regular wired Genesis pad). Playing Strider, I find that rapid-firing on the B button doesn't work very well. I have to deliberately and firmly press the button to get a reliable response. I actually wonder if this explains why they switched the A and B buttons on the wireless pad for the Genesis controls. I also noticed that the wired pad stops working if you use the wireless pad at all -could this function be having odd side effects? Without more experimentation it is hard to be difinitive about the nature of the problem, and if this thing is really a general problem at all or just me.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Anyone have images to share of the internals of the RetroN3? I'd really like to see how that thing looks like inside, and if possible, to have close-ups of the Genesis side to see if Virtua Racing should work or not on the RetroN3.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ace View Post
    Anyone have images to share of the internals of the RetroN3? I'd really like to see how that thing looks like inside, and if possible, to have close-ups of the Genesis side to see if Virtua Racing should work or not on the RetroN3.
    I second this, perhaps there's a fix...Some internal visual info would be nice

§ø Ï ζ Ξ Δ φ Ψ ς ώ ☆ ¿ ∞ ♪ ξ

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

will do, pics will be uploaded tonight.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Powerpaks Working?

Any Luck with the nes or snes powerpaks?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

woah, just confirmed, Super Metroid unplayable on the retron 3.. damn
    Graphical glitches, you cant see your energy and It doesnt let me continue
    from the second door when you start at the base, tested 3 different carts and
    they do the same, and they all play fine on the retro duo =\

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

All of this info is a shame. Will not be getting the Retron 3. How's the Retro Twin compare to the Retro Duo?
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Is there such a thing as a Sega Master System and/or Game Gear clone?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by neojapan View Post
    woah, just confirmed, Super Metroid unplayable on the retron 3.. damn
    Graphical glitches, you cant see your energy and It doesnt let me continue
    from the second door when you start at the base, tested 3 different carts and
    they do the same, and they all play fine on the retro duo =\
    I'm not denying your experience, but as soon as I read this, I went and messed around with Super Metroid on my own. I didn't experience any graphical glitches of any kind, and everything looked and played normally. Either it is a defective unit, or different chipsets are being used (as a cost shaving measure?) across the RetroN3 line.

I've noticed other inconsistencies between peoples experience with the machine. For instance, someone reported that the button configuration is rotated when using the SNES pad, but for me all the buttons are correctly mapped when using a regular controller.

I also noticed that while the the wireless controller will not respond for NES and SNES games when there is a regular control pad plugged into it, this is not the case for the Genesis side -instead the pad is locked out when it receives a signal from the wireless controller. I'd be curious if this true across all machines or not.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

got 20 units from hyperkin, been testing on 2 units.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

AWESOME!!!...What's the number on that large single chip located on the Genesis side?....Its labeled TCT-**** ?... I can't really tell the rest of the numbers from the pic....Thanks!
    §ø Ï ζ Ξ Δ φ Ψ ς ώ ☆ ¿ ∞ ♪ ξ