Thread: Buying a Sega Dreamcast- some questions

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Buying a Sega Dreamcast- some questions

Hello, I'm most likely going to buy a Sega Saturn this weekend or the following weekend- and I have some questions. First of all, my Slackers Cds and Games sells Dreamcasts for 40 dollars with its hookups and a controller (unsure if games are included). Is that a good deal? I won't be able to do Ebay right now and that's the only place that I can get one in my area.

What are some of the first games I should get for it? I'd prefer some cheaper ones that are still fun to play. Also, is collecting them as expensive as NES or SNES collecting?

Thanks for reading!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I know it's a good price for a Jap Dreamcast. It may not be a killer deal for a US D.C., doesent sound out of line if thats the only place to get one.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I collect rare Jap shooters and thats quite expensive.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Craigslist is WAAAAY better for finding Dreamcasts. Slacker's has overpriced consoles. $40 should get you more than just the basics.

Insert Coin (Level 0) betamax001's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    SaturnXmkII

Well if you have a good internet connection you could always burn whatever games you want to play to make sure you like the game first. Especially with the really expensive games that are hard to find. Wouldn't wanna waste your money on a game that sucks.
    NES, Atari 7800, Genesis, SNES, Saturn, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, PlayStation 2, GameCube, Atari Flashback 2, Limited Edition Red Wii, PS3 Slim, GBC, GBA, GBASP, DS Lite, and PSP 3000.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That's pretty high for a Dreamcast. They sell around here for 20.00 with hookups, VMU and one controller.

Collecting for the Dreamcast can be just as expensive as any other console, BUT if you figure out how to download and burn the ROMs, you can have the entire library for nothing but the cost of blank CDs, not to mention hundreds of homebrews and thousands of emulated games from older consoles.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

$40 is too much for just the system. If you keep checking your local craigslist long enough, you might be able to get the system and a few games for nearly the same price.

I have over 90 Dreamcast games, and most of them cost me $3-$6. Here are some games that shouldn't be too hard to track down in that price range:

Armada
    Blue Stinger
    Chu Chu Rocket!
    Crazy Taxi
    Crazy Taxi
    Demolition Racer - No Exit
    Hydro Thunder
    Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver
    MDK 2
    Quake III Arena
    Rayman 2: The Great Escape
    Resident Evil Code: Veronica
    San Francisco Rush 2049
    Slave Zero
    Soul Calibur
    Test Drive LeMans
    Tokyo Xtreme Racer
    Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2
    Toy Commander
    Virtua Fighter 3tb
    Wetrix+

Cheap sports titles worth checking out:
    Any NBA 2K game
    Any NFL 2K game
    Tee Off
    Virtua Tennis

Collection List | Twitter
    Check out the new N64 Rumble Pak. See how it feels to feel what you see.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I agree that $40 is too much for a regular white Dreamcast. A black Sega Sports edition might run you that much, though.
    Currently catching up on PSN, WiiWare, Wii U E-Shop and Xbox Live Arcade exclusives I missed.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ReTrO-pLaYeR View Post
    Hello, I'm most likely going to buy a Sega Saturn this weekend or the following weekend- and I have some questions. First of all, my Slackers Cds and Games sells Dreamcasts for 40 dollars with its hookups and a controller (unsure if games are included). Is that a good deal? I won't be able to do Ebay right now and that's the only place that I can get one in my area.
    Everyone else is saying that isn't a good deal, but if that is the only place you can get one in the area and it is something you want, it isn't a bad deal. I sell Dreamcasts with three games at the GOAT Store for the same price. You can find them cheaper sometimes (around here, I can get them for $19.99 rarely or $29.99 more commonly), but those stores very rarely actually have them in stock. The games seem to have become nearly impossible to find in brick and mortar stores though -- the resale places around here have had about three games apiece each time I have been in them the past few months -- so do take that into consideration no matter what. If this store has games at a good price and you want the system, then it isn't that much more than buying a $30 console and paying for shipping...
    Dan Loosen
    http://www.goatstore.com/ - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/
    ** Trying to finish up an overly complete Dreamcast collection... want to help? (Updated 5/3/10!) http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61333

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by goatdan View Post
    Everyone else is saying that isn't a good deal, but if that is the only place you can get one in the area and it is something you want, it isn't a bad deal. I sell Dreamcasts with three games at the GOAT Store for the same price. You can find them cheaper sometimes (around here, I can get them for $19.99 rarely or $29.99 more commonly), but those stores very rarely actually have them in stock. The games seem to have become nearly impossible to find in brick and mortar stores though -- the resale places around here have had about three games apiece each time I have been in them the past few months -- so do take that into consideration no matter what. If this store has games at a good price and you want the system, then it isn't that much more than buying a $30 console and paying for shipping...
    I think everyone else is looking at Craigslist vs. stores. Craigslist is always teeming with them these days for the simple fact that most regular people don't think the Dreamcast has value or at least they don't value it as much as they might value a PlayStation 2. Dreamcast is one of the most ignored systems in history. For that reason, there are people who are selling their personal systems for $20. I remember a few years ago when this kid sold me his boxed Dreamcast for $20 and each of his complete games were $1 each. I think he wanted a 360 or a Wii or something so he didn't mind unloading them for that amount.
    Currently catching up on PSN, WiiWare, Wii U E-Shop and Xbox Live Arcade exclusives I missed.

Insert Coin (Level 0) betamax001's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    SaturnXmkII

I got mine for 25 bucks for mine from a friend with some games and the original box. That was cool.
    NES, Atari 7800, Genesis, SNES, Saturn, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, PlayStation 2, GameCube, Atari Flashback 2, Limited Edition Red Wii, PS3 Slim, GBC, GBA, GBASP, DS Lite, and PSP 3000.

Insert Coin (Level 0) dnehthend's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

the over abundance of 'backup' dreamcast games helps keep the real ones relatively cheap, which is a plus