Thread: HD TV Genesis help.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    DT Maniac

Default HD TV Genesis help.

Hey guys, not sure if this is the right place to put this but here goes. I have a sega genesis model 2 hooked up to my hdtv and as you probably know it doesn't look too good, its very pixelated. Well I went to a retro gaming store by me and purchased a model one genesis. The game I was testing was earthworm jim. The game looked a lot better when played in the model one genesis with less pixelation however there seems to be some diagonal bars in the screen background that move a little. Both hook up by cable to the back of my television so why is one better than the other and what are the moving bars? Also, I purchased an av cable for my model 2 off ebay and have yet to get it. Will it make a difference?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lanzo View Post
    Hey guys, not sure if this is the right place to put this but here goes. I have a sega genesis model 2 hooked up to my hdtv and as you probably know it doesn't look too good, its very pixelated. Well I went to a retro gaming store by me and purchased a model one genesis. The game I was testing was earthworm jim. The game looked a lot better when played in the model one genesis with less pixelation however there seems to be some diagonal bars in the screen background that move a little. Both hook up by cable to the back of my television so why is one better than the other and what are the moving bars? Also, I purchased an av cable for my model 2 off ebay and have yet to get it. Will it make a difference?
    Different models of genesis have different video / audio hardware, and thus different quality levels for video and audio output. There's a large post about the different models' audio and video output on sega-16.

Having composite output via the AV cables will definitely better than your current connection via RF

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's gonna look bad on an LCD TV no matter what unless you mod it for S-Video, or even better RGB out with a Scart to Component or HDMI cable and adapter.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you get an SCART RGB cable (like this one) and a scart to component converter (like this one) the system will look VERY sharp on a LCD screen. More or less it will look like emulation, but that depends somewhat on your TV. It'll look good though and should also clear up any other video interferences.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    DT Maniac

Quote Originally Posted by savageone View Post
    If you get an SCART RGB cable (like this one) and a scart to component converter (like this one) the system will look VERY sharp on a LCD screen. More or less it will look like emulation, but that depends somewhat on your TV. It'll look good though and should also clear up any other video interferences.
    So, I would plug the RGB scart into the converter and using a pair of component cables go from the converter to the tv. But component doesn't carry sound does it? The RGB scart does but I think I would lose it with the component.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    DT Maniac

Nevermind.

It occurred to me that a scart to hdmi converter would work.
    Thanks for the suggestions.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, that particular converter doesn't handle the audio. So there are a few options: get a scart pass through (like this) and get your audio off that or just use the headphone jack from the system.

But yeah a scart to hdmi would carry the audio, I tried one (this one) and I thought the picture quality was pretty bad though. Not absolutely horrible but not nearly as good as the scart to component I linked above. I'd recommend not getting that one if you're going to go the hdmi route.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    DT Maniac

Quote Originally Posted by savageone View Post
    Yeah, that particular converter doesn't handle the audio. So there are a few options: get a scart pass through (like this) and get your audio off that or just use the headphone jack from the system.

But yeah a scart to hdmi would carry the audio, I tried one (this one) and I thought the picture quality was pretty bad though. Not absolutely horrible but not nearly as good as the scart to component I linked above. I'd recommend not getting that one if you're going to go the hdmi route.
    So let me get this straight (sorry not super tech savvy in this area). I use the rgb scart cable and plug that into the scart pass through and then use composite cables to go through to my tv correct? The scart pass through adaptor doesn't need to be plugged into the back of my television at all? (my tv doesn't have scart).

Insert Coin (Level 0) SithWarrior's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SGT SITHWARRIOR
    PSN
    SITHWARRIOR-22

Your set up would look more or less like how this guy in the video has it set up
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZakQh...os=zqratNPNxvM
    JACK of all trades, Master of none...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    DT Maniac

Ok, that makes sense. It a heck of a lot of wires, but worth it. Thanks guys.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ok, that makes sense. It a heck of a lot of wires, but worth it. Thanks guys.
    Nobody said it would be easy, or eye appealing.

Pear (Level 6) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So, I would plug the RGB scart into the converter and using a pair of component cables go from the converter to the tv. But component doesn't carry sound does it? The RGB scart does but I think I would lose it with the component.
    Well the Sega CD does come in handy after all,it has Stereo out on the back if you happen to have a Genesis 2 with no headphone output and want to do the whole scart to component thing. Granted the guy in the video shows another way to do it by having a selector box with audio out on it,either way will yield great results.
    "...leave love bleeding, in my hands, in my hands again..."