Thread: Anyone do NO GEO Reproduction carts???

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Anyone do NO GEO Reproduction carts???

Gday i have a few Neo Geo game carts and i wanted to use them to get Reproduction carts made anybodyknow if anyware dose Repro Neo geo games?
    here are the Repro carts i want:

-escape from preherstoric isle 2
    -Pulstar
    -viewpoint
    -metal slug x
    -metal slug 3

THANKS!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

1. To make a repro, you'd have to burn the rom images to eprom , then solder them into a compatible sac cart. I wouldn't do that until the roms aren't in use anymore and are atleast 15 years old, then you should be safe from getting your ass sued by SNK.

2. With the exception of Prehistoric Isle 2, It'd just be cheaper to buy the original cart.

So, yeah, it'd be impractical.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wait, are you talking about AES or MVS?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I own a AES but seeing how Cheep MVSgames are i've desided to get a converter,anyone know where to find a MVS AES converter so i can play MVS games on my AES? thankx.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

blankblankblank
    Last edited by Blur2040; 12-30-2014 at 10:37 AM.
    Death to Bill and Ted!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, but then you'll pretty much be stuck at the intro screen, since you can't insert credits without a unibios. Anyway, I'll be selling a 2 slot CMVS pretty soon here, so that'll probably be your best option for playing MVS carts.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

In the neo community, there is no such thing as a reproduction. It's either a bootleg or a conversion and both are heavily frowned upon. The closest you'll get to a repro is something like Ghostlop or Ironclad which didn't have official releases in AES or MVS form.

Neo Geo collecting can be a very expensive venture. If you are only looking for a cheap way to play the games, your best bet is to get one of those 100-in-1 multicarts and hope they have the titles you want to play. There are also plenty of bootlegs on ebay. Just look for "100% working" without the "original" or "authentic" qualifiers. There are also a few other giveaways like "eprom cart" or "flash rom".

I would also recommend against the super converter because it has some nasty scaling issues with a few games. If you want to play mvs games, get a cabinet or a cmvs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, the converter has some nasty compatibility. Also, I consider conversions to be slaughtering MVS carts, which are somewhat rare today, so unless you have no soul, go for a conversion. Anyway, back on the topic. I suppose you could make a repro out of data burned on eproms and soldered in a compatible cart (same memory mapper, sound chips, etc). I don't think you would get your ass sued off if you made it for yourself and didn't tell anybody, but selling them in that form is illegal. That's why nobody will do it for you. Its like asking "will you install a modchip in my Dreamcast?".

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyDean View Post
    Yeah, but then you'll pretty much be stuck at the intro screen, since you can't insert credits without a unibios. Anyway, I'll be selling a 2 slot CMVS pretty soon here, so that'll probably be your best option for playing MVS carts.
    Huh, wtf are you talking about??? MVS carts run in AES mode when used with MVS to AES converters, either with the Phantom-1, or the Super MVS Converter. You don't need a Unibios to play the carts.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I didn't know that. I guess the home version bios essentially plays it in "home mode", and the arcade version bios plays it in "arcade mode". I assumed the bioses were the same, and that an AES cart just was hacked with credits already built in to the ROM data.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I didn't know that. I guess the home version bios essentially plays it in "home mode", and the arcade version bios plays it in "arcade mode". I assumed the bioses were the same, and that an AES cart just was hacked with credits already built in to the ROM data.
    Nope, to further explain, the carts roms support both AES and MVS modes, and English and Japanese languages (except some altered Korean releases, as I think they only support the Korean region content no matter what region your bios is). The systems bios decides how the cart will run on said system, and all the unibios does is give you control over the modes and region select, along with other bells and whistles. Even most of the Neo Cd games have a dual region mode. If your system has a region switch installed, you can switch the deck back and forth between English and Japanese languages. Comes in handy for games that run censored in English mode.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That's part of the magic of how conversions work. The game code is identical but only the bios is different. The bios controls what mode and what languages it will display. Japanese and USA releases have the same game code. The only difference is the language on the cover, sticker, and manual.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow, I must say, that's really cool! But what about MVS exclusives?
    Last edited by JimmyDean; 05-07-2010 at 02:26 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow, I must say, that's really cool! But what about MVS exclusives?
    Yes, I am curious about this too....especially a game like Super Dodge Ball!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

They still have a AES mode. I think the only MVS game that had any real issues was Irritating Maze, due to the trackball interface. I was thinking they made a fix for that with the Unibios or something, but Im not positive. I stopped paying attention to the AES side of things long ago. If you want to see the differences between the carts in MVS and AES modes, load them up in Nebula. You can select region and format modes with that emulator.