Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question RE: CDX AC Adapter

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Question RE: CDX AC Adapter

When I bought my CDX, the seller noted that he had a problem with the AC adapter but had fixed it. When it arrived, I noticed that he spliced together the AC adapter portion of a CDX with the plug portion of another cord. It worked fine, so I wasn't concerned. It's a proper CDX adapter by the way.

Well, recently it stopped working. I think somehow the cord was damaged when we moved a few months ago. I took a try at severing the cords and reconnecting them (solder the cords together and electrical tape them). It doesn't work

So, I was going to sacrifice a Genesis 2 AC adapter and attached the cord portion to the CDX AC adapter. Will this work?

Also, I went to Radioshack today and they didn't have anything compatible

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by c0ldb33r View Post
    When I bought my CDX, the seller noted that he had a problem with the AC adapter but had fixed it. When it arrived, I noticed that he spliced together the AC adapter portion of a CDX with the plug portion of another cord. It worked fine, so I wasn't concerned. It's a proper CDX adapter by the way.

Well, recently it stopped working. I think somehow the cord was damaged when we moved a few months ago. I took a try at severing the cords and reconnecting them (solder the cords together and electrical tape them). It doesn't work

So, I was going to sacrifice a Genesis 2 AC adapter and attached the cord portion to the CDX AC adapter. Will this work?

Also, I went to Radioshack today and they didn't have anything compatible
    That is almost what I am using. I have a Gen2 plug spliced to a Canon Bubble Jet printer adapter that has the same ratings as the CDX/X'Eye adapter. You should be fine.

JY

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

awesome - thanks for the help

I've been trying to find a proper CDX / Xeye AC Adapter on ebay forever, but everyone is selling gen model 2 adapters and saying they're compatible (FOOLS!)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Every time I go to a flea market or yard sale I always try to check out the masses of AC adapters laying around to see if any match the specs. I got lucky with the one for the Bubble Jet printer. I did, however, have to change the polarity. The other nice thing is that since I am combining 2 cords into one, I can use as much of each cord as I like and wind up with a very long lead on my adapter.

JY

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Luckily, I just picked up a CDX adapter from Sparky for a great price. I have been looking for years too.

I still have yet to find one for my X'Eye (although i can swap them I guess).

They both have the same rating and plug.

If you swap the cord from the Genesis 2 (a little soldering required) it should work great. I wouldn't trust cutting and splicing like was done on yours. Just make sure the polarity is correct.

I personally am going to build an X'Eye adapter using a Genesis 1 and 2 AC Adapter. What I am going to do is remove the cord from the Genny 1 adapter, and solder a Genny 2 adapter cord in it's place, with the polarity reversed.

Then it will be 9.5V-10V @ 1.2 amps. Which is pretty close.

I have thought of building one using a Canon AC adapter too. The specs are identical (9.5@1.5)

Now that I have a proper CDX adapter time to test this CDX out (have waited to plug it in until I had the proper adapter)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hey guys, update.

I spliced the CDX AC Adapter with a genesis model 2 AC adapter. It didn't work. I plugged it into the CDX and it did nothing. So, I wondered if it was actually the AC Adapter itself. I plugged it into the wall and left it for about 1 1/2 - 2 hours. It didn't get warm at all. So, I think the AC adapter is broken.

I poked around the internet and found that radioshack has a 9V 1.5A AC adapter with a tip that fits just fine. It cost $30 after tax, but I bought it and it works fine

Do you think the fact that it is 9V and not 9.5V will damage my CDX? I read a few posts online (and on this forum) indicating that the CDX AC adapter was pretty forgiving with V but not with A (which is why you can't use a .85A Gen 2 adapter).

TLDR; is my 9V 1.5A Radioshack AC Adapter good enough for my CDX?

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you are able to open the CDX Adapter case, there is a fuse on board, chances are it is blown and it may be the problem...Give it a look...

And yeap, you can replace the cord from there too with a MK-2103 adapter cord, I just did it not long ago..
    Last edited by ooXxXoo; 05-15-2010 at 08:20 PM.
    §ø Ï ζ Ξ Δ φ Ψ ς ώ ☆ ¿ ∞ ♪ ξ

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Radioshack adapter is probably fine for it.

As far as the original AC Adapter, it should get warm plugged into the wall, even if the console is not on. I know mine does. When you say you spliced it, did you replace the entire cable and solder it onto the circuit board? Or did you just splice the wires?

It's not that you CAN'T use a Genesis 2 adapter, you CAN. It's just not recommended.

I prefer my adapters to say Sega on them, that's why I want to build one with a Genny 1 and 2 adapter. I have yet to get a new solder station though, so that project is still in limbo.

Hey guys, update.

I spliced the CDX AC Adapter with a genesis model 2 AC adapter. It didn't work. I plugged it into the CDX and it did nothing. So, I wondered if it was actually the AC Adapter itself. I plugged it into the wall and left it for about 1 1/2 - 2 hours. It didn't get warm at all. So, I think the AC adapter is broken.

I poked around the internet and found that radioshack has a 9V 1.5A AC adapter with a tip that fits just fine. It cost $30 after tax, but I bought it and it works fine

Do you think the fact that it is 9V and not 9.5V will damage my CDX? I read a few posts online (and on this forum) indicating that the CDX AC adapter was pretty forgiving with V but not with A (which is why you can't use a .85A Gen 2 adapter).

TLDR; is my 9V 1.5A Radioshack AC Adapter good enough for my CDX?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Cool. Thanks for the info guys. I cut the two cords, twisted the ends together and soldered. I didn't replace the entire cord, although tht would have been a good idea. Now that I've got a decent replacement, I likely never will try to repair it again.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Theretrogamingroom's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Draquafresh
    PSN
    Retrogamingroom

Default RE: Sega CDX AC Adapter

Man. Those CDX power supplies are hard to find.
    There is some printer or something that may work,
    but you may need to splice the cable.
    Last edited by Theretrogamingroom; 06-01-2010 at 03:01 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Those guys have been out of stock for that adapter for what it seems like AGES, at least 5 years. You won't find one there, trust me, I've checked into it.

Also, beware of people on Ebay saying their adapter is for CDX. Usually it's just a Genesis 2 adapter. Same for X'Eye. Don't buy those.

Retrogamingroom - we realize the Model 2 adapter will work, but sacrifice the life of the system. What we were talking about doing is using the Genesis 2 cord on a Genesis 1 AC Adapter, or like he did, swap a Genesis 2 cord onto the CDX adapter - if you read the posts he had a troublesome wire. The Genesis 1 AC Adapter is pretty darn close in specs, although you have to reverse the polarity.
    Last edited by Oldskool; 05-27-2010 at 02:51 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Cool. Thanks for the info guys. I cut the two cords, twisted the ends together and soldered. I didn't replace the entire cord, although tht would have been a good idea. Now that I've got a decent replacement, I likely never will try to repair it again.
    Next time, for future reference, you are better off replacing the entire cord. Cutting and splicing is not always recommended due to possible degradation of signal quality.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Oldskool View Post
    Next time, for future reference, you are better off replacing the entire cord. Cutting and splicing is not always recommended due to possible degradation of signal quality.
    Yeah good idea.

My CDX has been working wonderfully since I plonked down the money for the Radioshack adapter.

Is there a market for a broken CDX adapter? probably not huh?

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Is there a market for a broken CDX adapter? probably not huh?
    How much?...I can always salvage a few parts ..

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This one works perfect for the CDX/X'eye http://cgi.ebay.com/AC-Adapter-Power...item2ea9ebe312 You have to trim some of the black plastic from the tip with a razor blade so that it will fit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow, 2.5 amps seems like a lot. That's not too much is it?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The system uses only what it needs, it doesn't matter if the power supply is 20A. The CDX/JVC will only use about ~1A.
    Last edited by electrochip; 05-28-2010 at 06:14 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The region modded X'eye I bought from electrochip works perfectly with that very replacement adapter, which it came with.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So a modded Genny 1 AC Adapter should be fully sufficient then.

I noticed there are two Genny 1 AC Adapters. One is a 9V@1.2A (1602), and the other is a 10V@1.2A (1602-3). I never noticed this before until I acquired both of them. Maybe one of them is for Sega CD? They both say for Genesis console on them.

So basically, having a surplus of amperage is ok, because it only uses what it needs, while having too LITTLE is harmful, because it's working harder to pull the amperage that's not there.

X'Eye and CDX owners have had this problem for years now. It's great that we have a thread here full of different ideas on affordable ways to power these great consoles up.

I wonder with the Genesis 1/Genesis 2 hybrid AC Adapter, which of the Genesis 1 adapters would be safer to go with, the 9V or the 10V. Considering that they require 9.5V is it safer to have .5V too little, or too much?
    Last edited by Oldskool; 05-28-2010 at 10:25 AM.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

NO ....The Genesis 1 and Genesis 2, 32X CDX, and others, have different polarity to begin with = accident waiting to happen ...