Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question RE: CDX AC Adapter

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you switch the polarities they'd be okay though right?

I mean, that's beyond my skill level, but if someone wanted to do it, they could.

They probably could make a few bucks selling them off too.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Oldskool View Post
    I wonder with the Genesis 1/Genesis 2 hybrid AC Adapter, which of the Genesis 1 adapters would be safer to go with, the 9V or the 10V. Considering that they require 9.5V is it safer to have .5V too little, or too much?
    The exact voltage doesn't really matter. All the systems have voltage regulators inside them that convert the power supply voltage down to 5V anyway.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ooXxXoo View Post
    NO ....The Genesis 1 and Genesis 2, 32X CDX, and others, have different polarity to begin with = accident waiting to happen ...
    Yes, I know. That was mentioned earlier in the post. It would be as easy as removing the old cord, swapping the Model 2 cord in it's place - but with the two wires soldered into the circuit board opposite the way it was.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Next time, for future reference, you are better off replacing the entire cord. Cutting and splicing is not always recommended due to possible degradation of signal quality.
    I didn't realize that it was a problem when dealing with 9.5v of DC. For a video or RF cable, sure, but for just DC voltage?

JY

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's probably not an issue really, but I personally think it would be more reliable to replace the whole cord.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Theretrogamingroom's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Draquafresh
    PSN
    Retrogamingroom

Default RE: Sega cdx power supply

I am sorry. I didn't understand what you guys were saying.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

OK well, my theory did not hold true for some reason.

Today I took a Genesis 1 AC Adapter, and a Genesis 2 AC Adapter. And basically took the cord from the Genesis 2, and soldered it onto the Genesis 1 AC Adapter with the polarity reversed. For some reason it didn't work. I could hear some sort of audio interference on the screen as soon as I plugged the AC Adapter in, even when the console was off. No change turning it on either.

Then I got scared and thought I fried the X'Eye somehow - and plugged my CDX adapter into it and it was fine.

I guess even though the circuitry on the two ac adapters look the same, there is some sort of a difference, what I have no idea.

You'd think it would be happier with 1.2A than 800mA but meh. I am pretty sure the polarity was correct, I didn't pop anything inside the X'Eye.

The + and - are marked on the Genesis 2 circuit board, and the CDX adapter. But on the Genesis 1 it's not marked. So there is a bit of confusion there.

I think I will try round two soon. But this time I am gonna use my multi-meter to test it.

Man what a pain in the ass. That Canon adapter sounds like the best way to go, the specs are perfect, and all you do is shave something down a tad? I guess I'm just trying to be all Macgyver here.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

OK well, my theory did not hold true for some reason.

Today I took a Genesis 1 AC Adapter, and a Genesis 2 AC Adapter. And basically took the cord from the Genesis 2, and soldered it onto the Genesis 1 AC Adapter with the polarity reversed. For some reason it didn't work. I could hear some sort of audio interference on the screen as soon as I plugged the AC Adapter in, even when the console was off. No change turning it on either.

Then I got scared and thought I fried the X'Eye somehow - and plugged my CDX adapter into it and it was fine.

I guess even though the circuitry on the two ac adapters look the same, there is some sort of a difference, what I have no idea.

You'd think it would be happier with 1.2A than 800mA but meh. I am pretty sure the polarity was correct, I didn't pop anything inside the X'Eye.

The + and - are marked on the Genesis 2 circuit board, and the CDX adapter. But on the Genesis 1 it's not marked. So there is a bit of confusion there.

I think I will try round two soon. But this time I am gonna use my multi-meter to test it.

Man what a pain in the ass. That Canon adapter sounds like the best way to go, the specs are perfect, and all you do is shave something down a tad? I guess I'm just trying to be all Macgyver here.

Dude, you just can't do that

§ø Ï ζ Ξ Δ φ Ψ ς ώ ☆ ¿ ∞ ♪ ξ

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Why not just get the Radioshack adapter like I did?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by c0ldb33r View Post
    Just bored, messing around using spare parts that I had no use for, and I just felt like soldering something.

On the plus side, I fixed the Genesis 1 adapter I was trying to use. It had a short/corrosion at the solder joints on the circuit board, after re-soldering it back into place (when I realized my other plan would not work), it works good now.

Insert Coin (Level 0) SithWarrior's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SGT SITHWARRIOR
    PSN
    SITHWARRIOR-22

Hey can you possible show a picture or give a URL from radioshack because I been searching for a long time to get some ac adapter's for some of my model 1 Sega gen's plus Sega cd that I own, but theres no radioshacks in Canada anymore or at lest in my area so I'm hoping to find that Radioshack adepter it will just have a different packing and name on it.
    JACK of all trades, Master of none...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I recently grabbed a JVC X'Eye off eBay and it works great - unfortunately I have to use a step-down converter to run it here on our 240v outlets - which is annoying because I only have one, and they can be a pain to plug into the wall securely (and I am already using it on my Jap Saturn).

I was planning on getting a universal 9v 1.5A from my local Dick Smith/Tandy - they're pretty cheap and always come with a variety of useful plugs.

My query is that - is it safe to use a 9 volt power supply on my X'Eye despite it requiring 9.5v? Is the .5 volt a big deal? Would I be better off with a 10v power supply?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I had wondered the same thing myself, but apparently people have said that it steps it down to 5V eventually anyways. The amps are more important.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Actually I just remembered I had a multimeter in my parts box and I did a test on my X'Eye power supply tip - it's outputting 14.3 volts! So I can probably just get a 12 volt generic power supply and that will be fine.

I did some other checks:

Mega Drive model 1 AC adapter:
    Stated 10v
    Actual 14v

Master System AC adapter:
    Stated 9v
    Actual 14v

US SNES AC adapter:
    Stated 10v
    Actual 18.5v

Mega Drive model 2 AC
    Stated 10v
    Actual 13v

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You need to test them under load, otherwise they will read high (as you've seen).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yup, take the case apart and power it up and test the voltage then, great idea.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    raymondlyd
    PSN
    soniccd

Cool

easy repair theres a 4 amp fuse inside you will need a tool to open the power pack and you will find a fuse tool needed to open the power pack is called a Precision Nut Spinner Set i can get one here for £5
    i hope this will help you if you want me to fix pm me and i will help i done one myself this is how i found out

When I bought my CDX, the seller noted that he had a problem with the AC adapter but had fixed it. When it arrived, I noticed that he spliced together the AC adapter portion of a CDX with the plug portion of another cord. It worked fine, so I wasn't concerned. It's a proper CDX adapter by the way.

Well, recently it stopped working. I think somehow the cord was damaged when we moved a few months ago. I took a try at severing the cords and reconnecting them (solder the cords together and electrical tape them). It doesn't work

So, I was going to sacrifice a Genesis 2 AC adapter and attached the cord portion to the CDX AC adapter. Will this work?

Also, I went to Radioshack today and they didn't have anything compatible