Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: A tour of my game room

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Default A tour of my game room

My game room is upstairs in the attic. The upstairs area has two connected rooms with sloped walls which don't offer much usable storage space. The stairwell is also narrow and treacherous, so you're limited in the furnishings you can get up there (I currently just use ottomans). It's sort of a strange layout up there, but I tried to make the best of it.

I don't have swag, or standees, or collectibles laid out all around, so it's probably bland by most collector's standards. I'm more about tidiness and organization, and try to minimize the clutter as much as possible.

This is an older image, but it shows the layout of the area. My game room is in the second room. There's a small closet behind the wall that my television is on. The closet door use to be where the TV is, but I sealed it up and relocated it to the side since that was the only usable wall in the room.

Like a lot of you, I've accumulated quite a few games over the years and have lots of game memorabilia, too, so I built a media cabinet and custom shelving to house and organize most of it. The attic has sloped walls which limits the amount of usable space I have, so I made low horizontal shelves all along the parameter of the room.

The television is a 46" Samsung Series 6 LCD (it's not mounted crooked, BTW, the picture is). The speaker layout looks funky, but the output has been adjusted to compensate for their odd placement, which was necessary because of the limited wall space. I also ran all of my speaker wire behind the walls and under the carpet because I hate seeing wires.

I still have a lot more games left to shelve though, so I'll probably extend things into the first room eventually, but for now it's mainly storage space.

I had an awkward panel in the ceiling that you could access the wiring from but it was ugly, so I replaced it with this custom SMB item box panel that I painted which my girl got a kick out of. I'm thinking about rigging a switch so that it plays the coin chime sound through my speakers when you hit/open it...I haven't decided if it's that serious yet though.

I made this media cabinet to house the consoles I use the most. Every system in it is hooked up and ready to play, either directly, through HDMI, or routed through two A/V selectors which are tucked away behind the unit.

Again, I really hate seeing wires and cords (and yes, I see that Wii power supply peeking out -- it was put away after I took the picture), so custom labels and wire ties keep everything neat and organized, and all of the wires and cords are fed through holes in the back of the unit, and through the wall behind the unit, which lead into the closet. The holes are all finished with black 3" plastic grommets.

The cabinet is made out of ¾" plywood, and the shelves out of ¾" MDF. I painted it 'khaki' and 'almond', which isn't the most exciting colour combination, but then I'm not the most exciting guy. Besides, it matched the carpet. The shelves are made to slide out about a third the way so it's easier to dust and to remove the larger consoles and components. Pull out shelves also help for systems like the 360 that need to vent.

That black and white plastic strip on top of the cabinet is a wireless Wii sensor bar. The cord on my original one snapped or was chewed through by a mouse or something.

This is one of the two A/V selectors that I use to switch between consoles. They're tucked out of sight behind the cabinet (but easily accessible), and attached to the back of the unit with Velcro tape.

I have a few more hand-held systems, but these are the ones I use the most.

Here you can see the start of the shelves I made to store the majority of my games. This corner area is dedicated to PSX games, and unboxed 3DO games (I have all of the boxes, they're just stored away). All of my media is alphabetized; I'd probably never play anything if I had to fish for something.

Here you can get a better idea of how the shelves look. There are two additional shelves like this one attached to each other, end to end, to form a solid unit the spans the length of the room. Each unit has removable/adjustable shelves which are held in place by wooden pegs. Each shelf has channels cut into the bottom with a router which the pegs rest in.

Here we have more PS2 games, a handful of PlayStation3 titles, and the start of my Gamecube collection.

The seams where the shelf units merge are concealed by the face molding pieces I made. Upon close inspection the design and overall construction are somewhat crude, but I know nothing about wood work, and this is quite literally the first practical thing I've ever built, so I'm just glad it turned out as well as it did.

Here are the rest of my PS2 games, my Gamecube and XBOX titles, and the start of my XBOX360 and Wii collection.

The 10 or so games in front of the non-rumbling Sux Asses controller are my PS3 games. There really aren't many exclusives on the system that I'm interested in, and most cross platform titles I get for the XBOX360, because I prefer the 360 controller. Honestly, I only got a PS3 because I got a good deal on a new backward compatible 60GB unit thanks to bing cash back. I mainly use it to upscale my PS2 games. There's the whole Blu-Ray thing too, I guess, but I still just purchase DVDs.
    Last edited by Emperor Megas; 03-19-2013 at 09:04 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

This last unit is home to my XBOX360 and Wii titles and caps off the wall of current games on the right side of the room.

There's an 1½" gap at the end because the phone jack is on that wall. The phone line runs behind the shelves and is tucked away between the carpet and the wall at the other end. The router is in the closet behind the television wall, but my 360 uses a wired connection since the wireless adapter is needlessly expensive (and slower) and you can't see or trip over the cords anyway. Actually, I don't play online, so it doesn't matter much. My connection speed out here is HORRIBLE.

On the right you can see the start of the window wall shelf unit. The Game Gear game boxes on the top shelf are inset enough that you can see the holes I made for the adjustable shelves.

The unit on the back wall houses mainly portable games and has a funky sorta shape because of the windows. It's sort of shaped like a castle wall -- in fact I was originally going to paint a brick patterned on it, so it looked like the castles in the original Super Mario Bros.

Unlike the shelves on the side wall, this piece isn't modular. It's a one piece unit and was a little more difficult to build. It went through a few revisions before I decided on this castle/fort wall design.

Here there are a few domestic and import SEGA Game Gear games, some old Vectrex games on the bottom. The rest of course are DS games.

The blue box is for the Wii Zapper, and the Pac-Man plush on top was a gift from my nephew who won it in a claw machine when he was just three years old which is pretty amazing, actually. He's wearing one of my PlayStation beanies.

Here we have more Nintendo DS games and my collection of Game Boy Advance titles. After that, the start of my Play Station Portable games.

The Katana on top is the wireless 'Soul Controller' for the PS2 game Onimusha 3: Demon Siege.

Here we have all of my PSP games, and my meager Nintendo 64, Game Boy Color and Super Nintendo collections. I don't own many games for these Nintendo systems compared to others, but I do have a wish list for titles I'd like to add.

On top are my Horstacio piñata and a Mario DS/Wiimote holder, holding my gold Special Edition Zelda DSlite system (part of my Zelda Easter Basket). At the bottom is an NES theme CD wallet, and a plastic Mario Pinball Happy Meal toy that my mother-in-law gave me.

I put wooden spacers behind some of the media to bring the shallower game boxes/cases and loose carts to the front of cabinet. You can see a few peeking out behind the SNES carts.

Full view of the back wall.

This is my 8-bit game corner. I don't really care about having complete boxed NES or SNES games, but I do track down the manuals when I can. I keep them next to the carts in the those black dust sleeves.

Beneath are some of the few character plushes I own. 4 Chocobos, and a 1UP mushroom. Next to them are a few extra NES game pak dust sleeves, and the shelf to the right holds most of my SEGA Master System titles.

Here are my SEGA Master System games; they're mostly domestic releases, but some of them are import titles. On the next shelf over is the start of my SEGA Megadrive/Genesis game collection.

This shelf has a couple Sega Master System games, a Master Mega converter that allows you to play SMS games on a Genesis system, a Japanese back-up RAM cart for the SEGA CD add on, and most of my Genesis/Megadrive and SEGA 32X games. The first few are Japanese Megadrive titles. I only have a few, and I make little English labels for them (those little white tabs across the top)

I bought my 32X new from Electronics Boutique on clearance for $9.99, and there was a $25 mail-in rebate coupon which I sent in and received a cool blue check from SEGA. Again, SEGA actually PAID ME $15 to own the 32X. I never cashed the check though. It was so bizarre that I was going to frame it along with the receipt, but I lost them both in a house fire. :^|

The bookshelf speakers on the bottom shelf were either promotional items, or marketed by SEGA, as they have the Genesis logo printed on them. I just use them for bookends. On the bottom left corner are a few SEGA CD games and promo discs that didn't come in the traditional long boxes.
    Last edited by Emperor Megas; 05-11-2010 at 01:31 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

This unit caps off the left wall of vintage games, with SEGA CD, SEGA Saturn and SEGA Dreamcast games, and my collection of movies based off of video game licenses.

This smaller unit was built to house my PC Engine/TurboGrafx-16 collection. There are also a few promotional VHS game demos on the bottom. The little figure on the shelf above them is a Lynn Minmay doll.

Here you can see the English labels I make for my PC Engine games. They're on the outside of the jewel case, so they don't mar the insert at all.

My current gameroom's walls don't allow for much wall art, but I have a small collection of promotional posters. This life size T-elos poster is one of my favorites (it's about 6'x 2½'). I had to get a custom piece of Plexiglas for the frame because glass would have been too heavy for the type of frame I wanted.
    Last edited by Emperor Megas; 03-19-2013 at 09:08 AM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That is fantastic. I have a couple questions:
    What do you sit on?
    What are those chargers that the handhelds have?

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You know, I think I like game rooms that are clean and tidy more than I like rooms loaded down with collection junk. Great room, but like all game rooms that don't have arcade machines, that one needs an arcade machine. You'll probably have to go with a candy cab.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nice looking room, Very clean and organized.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I love it. I like the fact that it dosn't look like a rats nest. I need to get pics of my game room up, it's an unusual one as well. There's more collectables on display,but I refuse to let it get to cluttered looking.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

We Approve!

The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I don't like the cluttered mess with a bunch of gaming collectibles that most here aim for as a goal for their game room so I really love yours. It's plain, simple, functional, and attractive.

Don't you worry about your Wii overheating? I could swear there's a vent on the right hand side of the console that you have against the shelf. How well does the sensor bar work where you have it? I would think your hand might occasionally be below the level of the cabinet and lose sight of it?
    Last edited by Leo_A; 05-10-2010 at 08:49 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0) chrissylas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I love it! It's so clean and understated. I am definitely one of the ones that tend to go to the 8 billion collectible route but I definitely appreciate letting the games speak for themselves.

Your Horstachio Pinata doesn't look anything like the one I have. Where did you get it?

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I hate the cluttered look, so your room is great to me! I try and keep my room that clean, but I end up dumping too much stuff in it. Cheers on a great room!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That's a really nice setup man. Nice and clean looking, not cluttered.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Battlehork View Post
    That is fantastic. I have a couple questions:
    What do you sit on?
    What are those chargers that the handhelds have?
    I have a pair of ottoman that I use for seating. I also have a HUGE bean bag called a 'Chubby Chair' that I got for Christmas last year. It's like a cheaper version of a 'Luv Sac', if you're familiar with those. It's takes up like a fifth of the room when it's in there.

And the PSP and DSlite are on Intec brand charging docks that I got from Kmart for about $5 each. The one for the GBA SP is called a Power Station SP. It also has a compartment in the back to charge a GBA SP battery, though I'm not sure why you'd ever have to do that. It got it off of eBay for 5 bucks + shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by XYXZYZ View Post
    Great room, but like all game rooms that don't have arcade machines, that one needs an arcade machine. You'll probably have to go with a candy cab.
    I'm not really into dedicated arcade cabinets, but I would like to get a bar top style MAME cabinet one day.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post
    Don't you worry about your Wii overheating? I could swear there's a vent on the right hand side of the console that you have against the shelf. How well does the sensor bar work where you have it? I would think your hand might occasionally be below the level of the cabinet and lose sight of it?
    I barely ever play my Wii, and I doubt that it would overheat even if I did. Even if it did run hot, all of the shelves are made so that they can slide out about a third the way, so it gets plenty of air. And the sensor bar is in the middle when I'm using it. It was just sitting on the side when I took the picture.

EDIT: Actually, I just realized that you were probably talking about where it was in the first picture, when it was laying prone. That picture was really the only time it was against the wall. If you look at the other pics you'll see it's actually vertical with a lot more breathing room.

Quote Originally Posted by chrissylas View Post
    Your Horstachio Pinata doesn't look anything like the one I have. Where did you get it?
    Mine was an eBay acquisition, IIRC. I've seen a few different ones.

Thanks for the feedback guys!
    Last edited by Emperor Megas; 05-11-2010 at 01:02 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    BuckyBKatt
    PSN
    Bucky_B_Katt

That is one awesome looking setup.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Very nice, neat and organized. That LCD fits perfectly. Great job!

Professional Geek Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Nice! I prefer the "neat and tidy" look over the "fill every nook and cranny with as much video game merchandise as we can" look.

Your game room looks like a nice, comfortable place to relax in and not a giant trash pile.

Kudos!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Very nice and clean. Very well organized. And not to mention, you have a very solid collection going on. Glad to see another X'Eye owner!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by IronBuddha View Post
    That LCD fits perfectly. Great job!
    Funny you should mentioned that. This is actually the second one that I purchased for my game room. The first LCD I bought was a 52". I got it home and just before I was going to haul it upstairs I realized that I hadn't measured the wall yet! I just jumped on the television when I did because it was the last day of a huge sale.

Needless to say it was WAY TOO BIG for the wall, so I took it back to Best Buy the next day and got a really nasty attitude from the BITCH in customer service. I spoke to a manager about it, making a point to mentioned that it was the 4th big screen flat panel that I bought there that year. I never saw her working customer service there since, though I did see her on register a few times.

Thanks again guys, and the X'Eye is pretty awesome, Oldskool.
    Last edited by Emperor Megas; 03-19-2013 at 09:17 AM.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

google 4 gaga
    Last edited by UnpluggedClone; 05-28-2010 at 06:42 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by UnpluggedClone View Post
    Damn so many people hate the clutterd look I hate to postmh room.
    I hate clutter in my own personal space, but I always enjoy seeing other people's gaming areas (or toy collections, home theaters, craft rooms, etc.), no matter how cluttered or organized they are. As long as you have fun in their and can express yourself to some extent -- that's the important thing. I'm sure most here feel the same way.

The world would be a boring place if everyone had the same taste after all.