Thread: E3 2010 - Few Questions

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default E3 2010 - Few Questions

This would be my first E3 if I end up going to this. I have a few questions for those who have been to previous years. How much can I expect to pay for expenses for this trip? I want to save my money now so that I will be able to go and still have some spending money for when I get there.

What will I need? I'm 20 years old but I don't have my drivers license, but I will try to get my passport before hand so that I can have some valid for of ID on me. Any advice from those who have gone or what I can expect as far as expenses would be awesome. Thanks for reading. ~Corey

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

It's an industry-only trade event. You have to be connected to either a company, or a member of the media reporting on it.

Read the registration rules here:

http://www.e3expo.com/attendee/101/a...-registration/

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well now I feel like an idiot. I guess someone like me has to way of getting in then.
    Last edited by Apocalypse612; 05-12-2010 at 08:47 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

If you get registered, then it's like any other con. The food is expensive at the show, so if you're planning on walking the floor I recommend bringing some water and meal replacement bars with you unless you're attending any meetings in the rooms - those are all catered and you can scrounge off them

Other than that comfy shoes and a lot of backpack. If you bring a car and manage to get parking reasonably close you can dump swag in it as you fill up - but they don't give out nearly as much as they used to anymore... at least if you're not press.

BTW, "press" can mean member/writer for a game related website. There's a lot of jackasses with big egos who write for various gaming sites and wear stupid outfits at the show every year - one of the Penny Arcade Forum mods was there in a plaid jacket and Robin Hood cap with a feather in it and red sweatpants in the Alan Wake line with us a few years ago. Always a good time.
    <Sothy> its the internet <Sothy> who cares

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    This is a classic gaming site and the most active thread is a load of people wanking off to my little pony.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

OK maybe it's gotten stricter:

http://www.e3expo.com/media/41/media-faq/
    <Sothy> its the internet <Sothy> who cares

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    This is a classic gaming site and the most active thread is a load of people wanking off to my little pony.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Los Angeles in general is an expensive city to visit. Hotels will probably run you $125-$150+ per night outside of downtown and several hundred per night if you stay downtown during the show. You'll need a taxi from the airport and back as our public transit doesn't really connect very well and food prices are similar to any other large urban area. Basically, if you can get a pass, you're probably looking at $1,000 or so plus your airfare for the three days. Personally, having gone to E3 pretty much every year since it started, I don't think it's worth it unless you are being paid to be there by your company or live in the area and I actually enjoy going home after the show each night and reading the coverage on various websites as it is just so crowded, noisy and intense that it seems like I miss most of the news anyway when I'm there.