Thread: You can only pick 3. Desert Island Sega Genesis

Never let dreams die! CMA Death Adder's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Default ...

Simple:

** Snow Bros. because it provides endless fun.
    ** Street Fighter II' Special Champion Edition because I love fighting games.
    ** Beggar Prince because it's my legacy.
    Cruise by Diskman Presents : filled with geektastic classic gaming goodness!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

1. Streets of Rage 2
    This is my second favorite game of all time. Great gameplay, graphics, replay value and music. What more could someone ask for?

2. Sonic the Hedgehog 2
    So much to see and do. Great platform title with amazing music and graphics. My first Genesis title as a kid.

3.Toss up between Road Rash 2 and NBA Action '95.

Road Rash is a game that never gets old no matter how many times it's played. Something satisfying about pulling a guy or girl off a motorcycle with a chain while speeding 100+ mph and dodging traffic.

NBA Action '95 was a very underrated sports title for the Genesis.
    Although it has it's flaws, it had a great selection of teams and kept great stats. It kept track of your players current performance via hot and cold. Above all else, it was fun and a blast to play. Probably the single most important thing about a sports game. Or any game for that matter.

Honorable mentions to General Chaos, Mutant League Football and Super Street Fighter II.
    These games are great with another player. Still fun 1 player, just not the same.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sonic 1
    Road Rash 1
    NHL '94

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Road Rash
    Road Rash II
    Road Rash III

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Phantasy Star IV
    Lightening Force
    Shinobi III

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I broke my picks into three different categories so I would have a wide range of genres.

My first category was racing and this was the only easy pick for me.
    Micro Machines is a franchise that immediately popped into my head and the best one(for Genesis/MD) I think is "Micro Machine '96". It is very much like Micro Machines 2 only it has a track editor/creator! This way, I could build a new track every day and play it. It would keep the game fresh.

The next pick was not very easy because I am not too familiar with any of the three titles even though I own them. The choices were "Hezog Zwei, Pirates! Gold, and General Chaos. I would have to play all of them alittle more to make a choice but I have to have a thinking game in my mix.

So, I have a RACING game, a STRATEGY category, and that leaves a fun PLATFORMER/RUN&GUN category.

So for the PLATFORMER/RUN&GUN category, the choices I came up with were: Dynamite Headdy, Marvel Land, Lost Vikings, Ristar, Contra Hard Corps, Earth Worm Jim, GunStar Heroes, Rocket Knight Adventures.

So here is my final three choices...
    RACING: Micro Machines '96
    STRATEGY: General Chaos
    PLATFORMER/RUN&GUN: Pirates! Gold

OK, I cheated on the Platformer catergory. But, how can you not pick a Pirates game if you are stranded on a desert island.

Micro Machines'96 video :
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlDDB...eature=related
    General Chaos video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBEELuubT_E
    Pirates! Gold video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrGcU...eature=related

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ok, here we go. I decided to abandon fast-action games like shooters or platformers which tend to be short. Even the longest ones can be gone through very quickly once you know the patterns and levels. I wasn't anticipating getting rescued so I was in favor of games that would provide the most content before having to replay them as well as the highest replay value.

1. Might & Magic: Gates To Another World

I am just going to pull my entire reasoning on this one stright from the DP guide: "There are over 250 weapons, 250 unique monsters, nearly 100 different magic spells and 8 character classes to choose from here, pretty high-end for its time. Promises over 100 hours of gaming."

100 hours of gaming plus so many different weapons, enemies and spells? Sign me up. Plus there are 8 character classes so you can go though it 7 more times with a new twist every time after you beat it.

2. PGA Tour Golf III

It was a close race between PGA III and World Series Baseball. But the fact that PGA III is basically the pinnacle of the PGA series and also has eight full courses was the clincher. That's a lot of replay value and you can always do better at golf. Even if you played this game every day for the rest of your life you would be unlikely to get an eagle or better on every hole, especially when you factor in having to do it on EIGHT courses. I could have easily gone with World Series Baseball though, no two baseball games are ever the same, plus you get what, 30 teams to play with? And baseball has that "fast action" aspect that golf doesn't. I guess I'm still on the fence with this one.

3. Populous II: The Tribes

Most people know about Populous, a fun and challenging real-time strategy game. Why not go with the sequel, which has 1000 maps to challenge plus tons more spells? Plus when you play through the first time you will only see a tiny fraction of the maps which gives you insane replay value. If you like strategy games this is an excellent desert island game.

And by the way if picking the Genesis 6-pak was allowed I would definitely have to put that one in there. I don't know what I would bump but the 6-pak is a lock. Also if Sega CD games were also allowed I would bump the Genesis 6-pak for the 5 in 1 CDX version of the Sega Classics compilation. Gotta have my Super Monaco GP.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Addam's Family
    LandStalker
    Gunstar Heroes

almost picked:
    Phantasy Star IV
    Streets of Rage 3

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Alright. Here we go:

- Ranger X: Possibly the best platform shooter I've ever played. Period.
    - Sonic The Hedgehog 3: Because no Genesis collection is complete without it. Also to use with my third choice.
    - Sonic & Knuckles: Because you can't finish Sonic 3 without it.

Also, if I could get away with it, I'd have a Game Genie to keep things interesting. Not sure if that counts as a game or not.