Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Bioware Writer: JRPGs are not RPGs

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Fami 16 who? I see an astrocade
    U GAIZ JUST DONT LIKE CHANGE , (builds a artificial foundation here)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Richter Belmount View Post
    Fami 16 who? I see an astrocade
    Because you cited an astrocade post as the one that "made the most sense," remember? It's all on this page. (I am hating DP's forum system dropping nested quotes, you lose the context too often.)

Here is the full texts:

astrocade: I didn't play Resident Evil 4 because of bad hairs!
    Famidrive-16: wow
    Richter Belmount: APPROVED!11

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro View Post
    Because you cited an astrocade post as the one that "made the most sense," remember? It's all on this page. (I am hating DP's forum system dropping nested quotes, you lose the context too often.)

Here is the full texts:

astrocade: I didn't play Resident Evil 4 because of bad hairs!
    Famidrive-16: wow
    Richter Belmount: APPROVED!11
    Approved!
    U GAIZ JUST DONT LIKE CHANGE , (builds a artificial foundation here)

Pac-Man (Level 10) mobiusclimber's Avatar
    Up In Your Bitch Is Where You Might Find Me
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There's a screamer. Did you not read what Mister Sothy wrote?

The entire battle engine of JAPANESE ADVENTURE GAME X is a Sim City with stat building thrown in.
    So far no one has stated WHY these games should be considered RPGs. I think it's a valid question. Seems like the internetz has decided that the Zelda series isn't an RPG (to the point of people being flamed for saying it is) AND YET games that play even less like an RPG and have even less to do w/ an RPG are being called RPG. I'd like to know why. I've played them and I really don't see the connection. And so far neither you nor "Mister Sothy" has stated why. Instead of slagging off someone's opinion, you might want to state one of your own.
    My DP Feedback Thread: Here!
    I Post On The Blog At RisingStuff.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Richter Belmount View Post
    Approved!
    I approve your approval!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mobiusclimber View Post
    So far no one has stated WHY these games should be considered RPGs. I think it's a valid question. Seems like the internetz has decided that the Zelda series isn't an RPG (to the point of people being flamed for saying it is) AND YET games that play even less like an RPG and have even less to do w/ an RPG are being called RPG. I'd like to know why. I've played them and I really don't see the connection. And so far neither you nor "Mister Sothy" has stated why. Instead of slagging off someone's opinion, you might want to state one of your own.
    http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=113452

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

So far no one has stated WHY these games should be considered RPGs.
    That's not what my point was. Let's talk about one thing or something else, only one at a time, please.

The point was that it's simply insane to say that, as Mister (don't you forget it) Sothy said, a viewpoint dictates the game type. If this isn't what you intended, that's great, but it's what I saw written.

You can role play and you can shoot at the same time. (Disagree? Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines should be in your playlist.) You can role play a race car driver, you can do whatever. All this crap is stuck in peoples' minds because of D&D, as has been mentioned before, but having fancy shiny sticks does not role playing make, nor does 2D. I would agree that "role playing" is a term that could mean almost anything; after all, when you grab the joystick, you are "playing" a role, no matter what game, even if it's a really strange and not at all likely version of the role (the "play" part covers that unlikeliness or unrealism).

But by the reasoning you gave earlier, I guess we should all be adhering to the One True Religion, and saying that any game which doesn't have flanking, or AOEs, or twenty sided die cannot be an RPG. I mean look at these sad television games, they don't even have a third dimension for chrissakes! Not enough bags of holding either.
    Instead of slagging off someone's opinion, you might want to state one of your own.
    We're stuck in doldrums of lol here; I already wrote a lot back on post #28.

So instead of writing insane stuff and taking me to task for not having addressed something else (which wasn't the point of my post), please spend a minute to read what I wrote before. It may not be life-changing but at least you can see that I attempted to break out of the mold here before it lapsed back into " I DIDNT PLAYED RE5 BAD ARCHER WOMAN!1 DONT LIKE THEMS" and "fps cannot be it have rts in it"
    Last edited by Ed Oscuro; 05-25-2010 at 12:27 AM.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bow to postulio
    PSN
    MofoicDisaster

this thread is hilarious. for the record i am totally gonna take Mr Oscuro's side here. and we dont even get along most of the time. I'd like to think i know a thing or two about RPGs; and he hit the nail on the head there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Poofta! View Post
    this thread is hilarious. for the record i am totally gonna take Mr Oscuro's side here. and we dont even get along most of the time. I'd like to think i know a thing or two about RPGs; and he hit the nail on the head there.
    Anybody who gets along with that many girls is...I don't know where I was going with that, but thanks.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mobiusclimber's Avatar
    Up In Your Bitch Is Where You Might Find Me
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The point was that it's simply insane to say that, as Mister (don't you forget it) Sothy said, a viewpoint dictates the game type. If this isn't what you intended, that's great, but it's what I saw written.

You can role play and you can shoot at the same time. (Disagree? Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines should be in your playlist.) You can role play a race car driver, you can do whatever. All this crap is stuck in peoples' minds because of D&D, as has been mentioned before, but having fancy shiny sticks does not role playing make, nor does 2D. I would agree that "role playing" is a term that could mean almost anything; after all, when you grab the joystick, you are "playing" a role, no matter what game, even if it's a really strange and not at all likely version of the role (the "play" part covers that unlikeliness or unrealism).

But by the reasoning you gave earlier, I guess we should all be adhering to the One True Religion, and saying that any game which doesn't have flanking, or AOEs, or twenty sided die cannot be an RPG. I mean look at these sad television games, they don't even have a third dimension for chrissakes! Not enough bags of holding either.

We're stuck in doldrums of lol here; I already wrote a lot back on post #28.

So instead of writing insane stuff and taking me to task for not having addressed something else (which wasn't the point of my post), please spend a minute to read what I wrote before. It may not be life-changing but at least you can see that I attempted to break out of the mold here before it lapsed back into " I DIDNT PLAYED RE5 BAD ARCHER WOMAN!1 DONT LIKE THEMS" and "fps cannot be it have rts in it"
    My point before had nothing to do w/ first-person as opposed to third-person. It had to do with a game that is 90% one genre throwing in 10% of another and calling it that second genre. Don't hide a chocolate chip inside a jar of peanut butter and then have the nerve to call it a Reese's. Games like Mass Effect are basically the new Castlevania IIs. Yeah, you talk to people, and yeah you can "upgrade" your character, but it's more about having the right items and quick reflexes than it is about having the right level or stats. Or maybe I really am just far off base. I've tried to play Mass Effect and Fallout 3 and the like, and got bored and frustrated. Maybe they become more of an RPG after 20 hours or something. I dunno.
    My DP Feedback Thread: Here!
    I Post On The Blog At RisingStuff.com

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bow to postulio
    PSN
    MofoicDisaster

My point before had nothing to do w/ first-person as opposed to third-person. It had to do with a game that is 90% one genre throwing in 10% of another and calling it that second genre. Don't hide a chocolate chip inside a jar of peanut butter and then have the nerve to call it a Reese's. Games like Mass Effect are basically the new Castlevania IIs. Yeah, you talk to people, and yeah you can "upgrade" your character, but it's more about having the right items and quick reflexes than it is about having the right level or stats. Or maybe I really am just far off base. I've tried to play Mass Effect and Fallout 3 and the like, and got bored and frustrated. Maybe they become more of an RPG after 20 hours or something. I dunno.
    yeah youre far off base. and honestly probably very bad at both games.

you know you can play those games by pausing the action and assigning firing commands, right? and you dont even need to be gunning in mass effect! in fact, reflexes wont help you too much cause damage and accuracy and defense and resistance to fire is still calculated behind the scenes with stats (not your trigger finger and WASD keys)

you should read daria's post, the one that you were linked to earlier on this page. exploration, barter system, freedom to shape your adventure etc etc all RPG elements. ME and Fallout have much more in common w/ RPGs than FPSs. i wonder how much your mind would change if their perspective was bird's eye? since the only thing even remotely linking them them the Halos and Lost Planets out there, is perspective.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Sothy

I would like to point out mobiusclimber... for hating fallout 3 and "not having played the old ones" it's weird you use that avatar yeah?

That would be like me posting how shitty and stupid DOOM is...

<@Carey85> I-75 is the second busiest freeway in the country behind I-95
    <@NE146> u r

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

But Doom would have been completely stupid... If it weren't for all that damn pesky 'fun' getting in the way... And those blasted van-hippy kids and their Great Dane.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Poofta! View Post

you know you can play those games by pausing the action and assigning firing commands, right? and you dont even need to be gunning in mass effect!
    So you're saying that they're really just shitty First Person Shooters?

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

I've never played Mass Effect so I can't really say anything about that one, but I'm with Mobius Climber when it comes to Fallout 3. Fallout 3 is more like a first person shooter than an RPG.

Sure you take quests, set your specific stats, gain levels to get different perks on how your character plays, etc. VATS is an auto targeting system that has a much higher hit percent and hit percent is based on if you have the one VATS perk as well as your distance from an enemy, stuff in the way, etc.

If you were to try and shoot someone in the head and missed by a half inch, there wouldn't be a roll to see if the bullet somehow curves into their head making you hit. The same thing if you hit someone in the head or the arm, etc. It's not going to just miss. Though there are critical hits.

So yeah. The main gameplay mechanic of Fallout 3 is an FPS. It's an FPS you can more thoroughly customize your character though it more resembles an RPG than most games the RPG tag is thrown on. Zelda, Alundra, Castlevania, etc.

I was reading VGChartz the other day and the term RPG is being used so loosely that Red Dead Redemption was called an RPG in a few of their stories. About the only thing RDR has in common with an RPG are the missions that can be taken, purchasing items, and an inventory. So is GTA an RPG.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Life is an RPG. It's a secret to everybody.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

It's funny how people are mentioning DOOM.

DOOM RPG
    http://www.doomrpg.com/n.x/Doom%20RPG/Home