Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Are there any versions of Genesis games that are better then the SNES verision?

Strawberry (Level 2) guitargary75's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Are there any versions of Genesis games that are better then the SNES verision?

What do you guys think? It's generally though that the SNES version is always better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, the Genesis versions always have less slowdown, because the Genesis had a faster processor. I think that Ghouls and Ghosts is better that SGNG, even though they were completely different games. It just was more faithful to the arcade.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think Aladdin is better on the Genesis. The Scooby Doo game for the Genesis is better than the SNES one. So is the Beavis and Butthead game. The Shadowrun game is arguably better, it depends on what type of RPG you like. Those are all kind of different from each other, though, not direct ports.
    Last edited by shopkins; 05-14-2010 at 11:01 AM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, Jurassic Park is another one that has a better reputation on the Genesis. But again, they're two different games.

As far as games which are basically the same go, The Lost Vikings and the Earthworm Jim games can be argued to be better on the Genesis, due to some extra content.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Whoops, accidental doublepost. Sorry.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Chrozi

Populous played a lot better on the Genny
    "Oh my lord it's nutty, yup!"

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It can be argued that some of the very close games played better on Genesis due to the 6 buttons being easier to control. I prefer the Genesis Street Fighter games because the dpad is ace and the fierce punch button is easier to reach.
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by guitargary75 View Post
    What do you guys think? It's generally though that the SNES version is always better.
    Disagree, the Megadrive version is always better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by guitargary75 View Post
    What do you guys think? It's generally thought that the SNES looks and sounds better, while the Genesis games play better.

fixed

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

The Genesis version of Mortal Kombat had the original fatalities included, albeit it with the ABACABB start up code (the SNES was censored), and pretty much everyone I knew who played them both said that Aladdin was definitely better on the Genesis.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I generally always get SNES versions of games because the higher colour palette and drastically improved sound chip make the games so much more liveable.

Mega Drive/Genesis games always sound terrible and the graphics often washed out.

That said, the rampant censorship Nintendo instituted on the SNES is often unpalatable.

I prefer the MD version of Another World/Out of this World as the SNES version is gutted (and the game visually/aurally doesn't really suffer on the MD).

Zombies Ate my Neighbors is censored on the SNES, but also plays and sounds better thanks to the SNES sound chip and a larger display. Of the two, I generally prefer the SNES version.

Mortal Kombat on the MD is superior, thanks to actually have blood and guts left in tact. Graphically they are about equal. MKII on the other hand is waaaay better on the SNES. Hell, the SNES version of MKII is about on par with the 32X version - in fact I would say it has the edge thanks to the better audio.

Micro Machines 1/2 are pretty evenly matched. NBA Jam on SNES is better - better audio, richer colours. The faux-video sequences look better thanks to increased colour depth. Donald Duck Maui Mallard/Cold Shadow is better on SNES for the same reason.

Aladdin on SNES and Mega Drive are entirely different games, with the MD game simply being more fun to play. Although the SNES version looks and sounds better.

I definitely prefer Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts on SNES thanks to the awesome music.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

I like the SNES Aladdin but I do agree that the Genesis Version is a bit better. I also like the SNES controller better though that's not saying too much about the games.

(Waits for Jorpho to post a list of similar threads)
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I think Cool Spot is quite better on The Genesis, too. I think the music was better on the Genesis version, and I even liked the graphics on the Genesis version better as well. The graphic thing could just be because I spent more time with the Genesis version, but the Genesis music was definitely just better to me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As already mentioned, Mortal Kombat is a must own on Genesis and a yawn on SNES. Who wants to play MK with no blood or cool fatalities.

EWJ is also a must own on Genesis because it has the "Descent" pre-level before Buttville (last stage). The one where you spin your head around like a helicopter and descend to the bottom. SNES skipped this part entirely...
    WTB Clayfighter Sculptor's Cut Manual Only... PM ME!!

Insert Coin (Level 0) ConsoleAddict's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I always felt that many Genesis versions of games were better than their same-named SNES counterparts. Games like Aladdin, Tiny Toon's Adventures, Animanaics, Mortal Kombat I, Earthworm Jim, Jurassic Park, Madden NFL & NHL among them. Whether it was due to the smoother frame rate or the longer game embedded or the game itself, the Genny had the superior version of some titles.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

All I remember is that Doom and B.O.B. were VERY dissapointing on the Genesis compared to the SNES!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Boogerman kills on the Genesis over the SNES version. The game controls much better and the animations look tons cleaner for some reason.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by aaron7 View Post
    All I remember is that Doom and B.O.B. were VERY dissapointing on the Genesis compared to the SNES!
    I owned B.O.B. for the Genesis and it has one of the worst frame rates ever. Was it like that on the SNES as well?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Megas View Post
    I think Cool Spot is quite better on The Genesis, too. I think the music was better on the Genesis version, and I even liked the graphics on the Genesis version better as well. The graphic thing could just be because I spent more time with the Genesis version, but the Genesis music was definitely just better to me.
    I have to disagree with you on this. I've played enough of both (even have footage down for a future comparison video...once I get around to finishing it) and the SNES version wins. Graphics have more depth and color, giving the game a more "cartoon" feel. The music sounded more rich on the SNES thanks to its custom sound chip. The music sounded like it came from a quality synthesizer as opposed to just plain old game music.

The control on the Genesis version seems to be really pin-point in places, making some jumps that should be easy difficult. The first level on top of the lawn chair is a good example: I could not grab the balloon closest to the chair in the Genny version after a number of attempts until I must have jumped at the right pixel. SNES version the jump would be successful more times than not. This could also be seen as just a difficulty curve but you'd think the games would play similarly.

Still, both games are effing cheap with the attacks on that poor Spot.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by aaron7 View Post
    Wait. There was Doom on the Genesis? I have it for 32X but I didn't know about a Genesis port.