Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Are there any versions of Genesis games that are better then the SNES verision?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Pit Fighter, Fatal Fury, and Robocop vs Terminator are better on Genesis, though in RvsT case, kinda different games. Prob has more to do with matter of opinion, but I liked Stargate and Judge Dredd more on Genesis also.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

All depends on what you're into, I guess. For instance, while the MKII port for SNES was a bit more faithful on the whole, it played a bit slower when compared to the Genesis and Arcade. The same seems to be true of other fighting games, but I noticed it the most with the MK series. Anyway, even though the Genny version was fast, I dug the SNES port much more (owned them both).

Comparing Aladdin is kind of deceptive considering separate developers worked on wildly different Genny and SNES versions. I prefer the Genny gameplay and graphics over the SNES version, but that doesn't mean it's bad. I regard Aladdin as the Genny's Donkey Kong Country in terms of pure graphical achievement.

It's "dangerous" to automatically assume multiplatform titles were instantly better on SNES; it's pretty subjective. The truth is that some developers had a great handle on Genny and it showed, and others did better on SNES. Generally, you can judge your preference like this: if you want speed you like the Genny version and if you like gloss/polish you like SNES (though there are certain exceptions).
    I don't want you to hate me, I want you to want to hate me - GamersUniteMagazine.com

Insert Coin (Level 0) ConsoleAddict's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PC-ENGINE HELL View Post
    Pit Fighter, Fatal Fury, and Robocop vs Terminator are better on Genesis, though in RvsT case, kinda different games. Prob has more to do with matter of opinion, but I liked Stargate and Judge Dredd more on Genesis also.
    Pit Fighter was on the SNES? I didn't even know that. I did play the Genny version back in the day.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The SNK ports run like shite on the SNES, because the NeoGeo's 68k processor was clocked at 4x the speed of the SNES. The Genesis had the same processor, but it was clocked at a slower speed. That's why the NeoGeo ports run with so much lag.

Arcade Card Compatible Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by jonebone View Post
    EWJ is also a must own on Genesis because it has the "Descent" pre-level before Buttville (last stage). The one where you spin your head around like a helicopter and descend to the bottom. SNES skipped this part entirely...
    The Genesis EWJ also had the bonus "Intestinal Distress" level that the SNES version didn't have.

I actually prefer the Genesis port of Rock N' Roll Racing because it has more tracks then the SNES version. Taz-Mania was also better on the Genesis although it was a completely different game on the SNES.

Yo Joe! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    ladyjaye75
    PSN
    ladyjaye75

Mickey Mania isn't bad on the SNES but it's better on the Genesis. And I'm not talking as a Genesis fangirl.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Azathoth1488
    PSN
    Azathoth_IKA
    3DS Friend
    4313-0753-9074

King of the Monsters, Side Pocket, & Samurai Shodown come to mind.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

How was Earthworm Jim on Genesis/Megadrive compared to the SNES version? I know I like the Genesis version over what's available for the iPod (Or whatever has the game available) But I've never played or even owned a copy of the SNES version.

Austin

Insert Coin (Level 0) pepharytheworm's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Pit-Fighter and Most of the Neo Geo ports. Everything else better on the genesis only shares the same title only and a lot of times ported by different companies or is heavily debatible, better gameplay but worse visuals and/or sound or vice versa. No one can debate Pit-fighter. Everything else ported by the same companies is almost always better on SNES.
    Where's my chippy? There's my chippy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by shopkins View Post
    Wait. There was Doom on the Genesis? I have it for 32X but I didn't know about a Genesis port.
    Quote Originally Posted by aaron7 View Post
    All I remember is that Doom and B.O.B. were VERY dissapointing on the Genesis compared to the SNES!
    There was no DOOM on the Genesis. It was released on the 32-X and I hate to disagree with you, but just for the frame rate and controls alone, the 32-X version of DOOM kills the SNES version. Before a huge debate goes into this though, King of the DOOM ports for it's time though always has been the Jaguar anyway.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by T2KFreeker View Post
    There was no DOOM on the Genesis. It was released on the 32-X and I hate to disagree with you, but just for the frame rate and controls alone, the 32-X version of DOOM kills the SNES version. Before a huge debate goes into this though, King of the DOOM ports for it's time though always has been the Jaguar anyway.
    Both are still pretty bad, though, and 32X Doom is missing the rear monster graphics, missing levels, missing monsters, runs in a window and has no way to save. It does look okay but the problems are crippling.

I'd still take it over the SNES version though, because in addition to having many of the same problems and its own inadequacies something about the blurry, muddy graphics and the way the screen moves gave me severe eyestrain and made me seasick. Only FPS that's ever given me that problem.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Quote Originally Posted by shopkins View Post
    I think Aladdin is better on the Genesis.
    So does everyone else. Came here to say just that.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Off the top of my head, games that I remember being better on the Genesis:

Mortal Kombat
    Aladdin
    Zombies Ate My Neighbors
    Raiden Trad
    Beavis and Butthead
    Lethal Enforcers

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think most of the obvious ones have been covered.
    I'm curious about some that haven't been mentioned, like Hit the Ice, Weapon Lord, Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3, and those two Ninja Turtle games that are similar enough to be considered the same game.

EA's NHL games were always best on Genesis, and it wouldn't surprise me if other EA sports games were too.

Super Street Fighter II for Genesis has more intro and portrait animation than the SNES port, and an expert arcade mode that lets you fight all 16 fighters, but the SNES has much better graphics and sound overall.

Strawberry (Level 2) tomaitheous's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    Super Street Fighter II for Genesis has more intro and portrait animation than the SNES port
    Seems a bit silly to even mention it. Considering what negligible impact, if even at all, it had on the game itself.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Aladdin and Mortal Kombat 1 and 2

Lightgunner Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cryomancer

What was censored for the SNES Zombies Ate my Neighbors?

I always kinda preferred the SNES because of the controls, but I haven't really tried it with the 6 button. I should. Soon.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Slate View Post
    How was Earthworm Jim on Genesis/Megadrive compared to the SNES version? I know I like the Genesis version over what's available for the iPod (Or whatever has the game available) But I've never played or even owned a copy of the SNES version.

Austin
    I have both and I prefer the Genesis version, and not just because of the extra content. The animation is better with the Genesis version.

Check out this interview with Mike Dietz, he worked on the different versions of Earthworm Jim and he prefers the Genesis version compared to the SNES version.
    http://www.sega-16.com/feature_page....ew: Mike Dietz

Sega-16: Which version of Earthworm Jim do you prefer between the Genesis the SNES versions? Why?

Mike Dietz: I much prefer the Genesis version over the SNES, because the SNES was more limited than the Genesis in the number of sprites you could have on screen at any one time. Since our animation compression scheme was based on each frame of each character being constructed of multiple sprites, that meant the SNES version had less frames of animation and the size of individual frames was more limited, which meant we couldn't stretch the character as much. So we would animate the characters first for the Genesis, and then we'd have to go back and selectively remove some frames and shrink down other frames for use on the SNES. The SNES did have better color palettes, so the character and background art looked better, but as an animator I liked the Genesis better because I had more frames of animation to work with.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Even though they have different levels, I prefer the layouts in The Jungle Book for Sega Genesis. The SNES version has more kinds of gems to collect too.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Off the top of my head...

Alien 3
    Battletech / MechWarrior 3050
    Battletoads Double Dragon
    Boogerman
    Chuck Rock
    Desert Strike (not sure about the later Strike games)
    Earthworm Jim
    Flashback
    Lost Vikings
    Maximum Carnage
    Mickey Mania
    Out of this World
    Outlander
    Pac-Man 2
    Paperboy 2 (SNES version sounds like shit)
    Raiden Trad
    Shadow of the Beast
    Soldiers of Fortune
    Thunder Force III / Thunder Spirits
    Toy Story
    Ys III: Wanderers from Ys
    Zombies Ate My Neighbors (subjective, but I preferred the Genesis music and HUD)
    Zool