Thread: Original Game Boy Question

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Original Game Boy Question

I'm in the market for a used original Game Boy but I can't seem to find one that includes a wall adapter, something I thought I recalled being standard. Was the A/C adapter not packaged with the Game Boy until the release of the Pocket or have the original adapters just become scarce? Also, can the Pocket-era adapters be used with the original Game Boy?

Thanks in advance!

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

They didn't come with the adapters, those were sold separately. Gameboy Pockets didn't come with adapters either, those were also sold separately. The Pocket era adapters can't be used with the original Gameboys, but there are several 3rd party adapters that are compatible with both systems.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Mm. That's a pity. My memory really has failed me. So what's the word on the official rechargeable battery (with belt-clip!)? I can't imagine they had a long life-span but I'm tempted to pick one up to avoid dishing out a fortune on AA's.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Most of those official rechargeable batteries are no longer working properly, they won't hold a charge for long anymore. You could always use rechargeable AA batteries if you wanted to.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Batteries last a long time in Game Boys. Just get some NiMH's and that should do it for you. The official rechargeable battery packs are going to be long dead by now. Even if you find one sealed NOS it's likely to be dead as well. Rechargeables have a much shorter shelf life than non-rechargeables.

I use NiMH's in my Lynx and Nomad and they are power hogs. A Game Boy will last you much much longer. Don't worry about them being 1.2V instead of 1.5V either. Some people make a big deal out of that but alkalines actually average out to about 1.2V anyways and the voltage decreases linearly as the batteries discharge. As a NiMH discharges, it holds a pretty steady 1.2V
    Last edited by jb143; 05-18-2010 at 10:29 PM.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I might end up doing that. RE: Third-party A/C adapters - is there any method to selecting a good one or any type in particular to avoid?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Most universal adaptors have the proper connector for GB.

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jb143 View Post
    I use NiMH's in my Lynx and Nomad and they are power hogs. A Game Boy will last you much much longer. Don't worry about them being 1.2V instead of 1.5V either. Some people make a big deal out of that but alkalines actually average out to about 1.2V anyways and the voltage decreases linearly as the batteries discharge. As a NiMH discharges, it holds a pretty steady 1.2V
    Does that help though? At 6 batteries, you're 1.8V below the needed amount with NiMH batteries.
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Smile

I bought rechargable AA Nimh batteries. The good ones. They are expensive. Like 20$ for 4, somtimes they come with a charger. Shop around. They will save you a ton in the long run. I still use the first set I bought 7 years ago. I also have AAA. Especialy if you have a Wii. A wavebird. Tv remotes. Digital cameras. Etc. The only issue I ever had was with a Gamegear. It doesn't like them for some reason. I havent had to buy batteries in years and that was some c's for a teddy ruxpen. Lol.
    In yo face!

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Whoops, I was wrong. Game Boy original uses 4 AA batteries. Game Gear uses 6.

That's probably your problem, RASK. Alkaline batteries are 1.5V. NiMH batteries are 1.2V. Since Game Gear uses 6 batteries, the total voltage from 6 NiMH batteries is 1.8 volts lower than needed. If you could modify the battery sockets to hold an extra battery, it would probably work fine.

I also use NiMH batteries for anything that can take them. I use them on my Wii, GBA, GBC, soon Neo-Geo Pocket Color, Wavebird, etc. I was pleased when I bought a Game Boy Pocket from a PnT and the previous owner had left some NiMH batteries inside it!
    Last edited by BetaWolf47; 05-19-2010 at 10:48 AM.
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BetaWolf47 View Post
    Does that help though? At 6 batteries, you're 1.8V below the needed amount with NiMH batteries.
    Did you read the rest of what you quoted from me? Alkalines will quickly become 1.2V batteries. Then 1.1V then 1V untill they die. NiMH's deliver a pretty constant 1.2V over the life of their discharge.

6 X 1.2 = 7.2 which is well over the 5V the Lynx or Nomad really needs (+ just a tad extra to power the regulator).

The only real damage with using multiple NiMH's is series is that you don't want to dishcharge them untill whatever your using shuts off. Once they start showing signs of dying, then recharge them. The problem is that they won't all discharge at exactly the same rate and 1 will more than likely discharge before the others causeing the others to give it a reverse charge and pretty much ruin it. 1 of the reasons they say not to mix battery types.

Edit-
    Due to their self-discharge rate though, I wouldn't use them in things where you expect them to last a long time. Like clocks, smoke detectors, and TV remotes.
    Last edited by jb143; 05-19-2010 at 10:56 AM.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hey BetaWolf, that's an impressive GBC collection. I'm highly envious :/ Do you get most of your games through eBay?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    rimsky82

I recently found this website for gameboys. http://nonelectronics.com

They have a wall adaptor with a rechargable battery pack, car charger, and anything else you need. They will even install a backlight. Good stuff, good prices.

Like my father always says, all you need is money.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Oh, neat. They're not cheap but it's cool alone to find something approximating a Game Boy hobby site, even if they're clearly more into the musical angle. Thanks for the link.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Sorry for ressurrecting this, but here's a question:

Here's the polarity of a Game Boy

+ -(@- - DC 6V 250 mA

Now here's the polarity of a power adapter that seems to have a plug that fits:

- -(@- + 6V DC 600 mA

Now, will this power it, or is the polarity backwards, which would fry it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    rimsky82

It will fry the gameboy. If it's completely necessary, and you know what you're doing, cut the wires and reverse them. The mA difference doesn't matter, it will only pull the current it needs, as long as the adapter handles it, which in your case it does (600 > 250).

DC (Direct current) needs correct polarity. AC (Alternating current) doesn't matter.
    Last edited by rimsky82; 06-03-2010 at 04:30 PM. Reason: sp.