Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RicknSam
    PSN
    howie6925

Default PS3 Help.

Finally found a broken ps3 to salvage parts from, but I dont know if I want to take the parts from it as it is a 60GB model. I doesnt sount like the fan is running will my 40 gig fan work in this one?
    It will turn I can get to the main screen then after about 30-40 seconds in the top right hand corner a message will show up saying that the system is running hot and a bunch of other stuff but I can never catch the rest in time before it shuts off. Is this a big fix or will a simple fan replacement do the trick.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If the fan is dead you have to replace it, this is probably the most difficult part replacement since it requires you to take out almost every single screw in the unit. Im pretty sure the fanassembly is the same for all fat models. Search for the part on ebay. If you do it be careful taking out the fan wire to the board, it breaks somewhat easily.
    Bury me with my money......*dies*

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RicknSam
    PSN
    howie6925

Quote Originally Posted by CDiablo View Post
    If the fan is dead you have to replace it, this is probably the most difficult part replacement since it requires you to take out almost every single screw in the unit. Im pretty sure the fanassembly is the same for all fat models. Search for the part on ebay. If you do it be careful taking out the fan wire to the board, it breaks somewhat easily.
    Well I took the 60 gig apart and the fan was not hooked up. So I hooked the fan on put the system all back together turned it on, it is now running very fast and very loud then shuts off.

Like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdxVb...eature=related

(not my video)
    Last edited by Howie6925; 05-18-2010 at 11:48 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RicknSam
    PSN
    howie6925

Well after much tinkering I fixed it I guess the person who had it before me tried to take it apart and broke one of the screws holding in one of the metal plate on the back of the fan. So I took a straight pin and wedged it between the metal plate and the metal around the mother board and it works like a charm. No loud fan noises, no YLOD, no over heating. Not the best way to fix it but it works now, cant complain. $75 for a now working 60gb model is alright.

Thanks CDiablo for the reply.