Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ps1 memory cards

Insert Coin (Level 0) ambriglia's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default ps1 memory cards

i will be buying an original ps1 soon, and i need to buy some ps1 memory cards. i looked on ebay for the genuine sony ps1 cards, and they are rediculously overpriced. does anyone know if the third-party memory cards work fine, or any other feasible solutions? i've had issues with them in the past, but that was probably close to 10 years ago...
    Game on.

Insert Coin (Level 0) betamax001's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    SaturnXmkII

Instead of eBay I would try Amazon.com. Used Sony brands are usually like 10 bucks.
    NES, Atari 7800, Genesis, SNES, Saturn, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, PlayStation 2, GameCube, Atari Flashback 2, Limited Edition Red Wii, PS3 Slim, GBC, GBA, GBASP, DS Lite, and PSP 3000.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No matter the brand, any mem card will wear out eventually.

But yup, official types are far more reliable, especially if you like to keep your save games around for years.
    "If each mistake being made is a new one, then progress is being made."

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

The one you really want to stay away from is the Mega Memory Card. it may have many many cards in one, but if you use too much of it, it will corrupt and be rendered useless.

The two in one cards aren't too bad though.

My solution is to keep just a couple Sony brand ones and transport the saves to the newer Sony systems as I fill them up and complete games.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I only have third party PS1 memory cards(Interact and Mad Cats) and I have never had any problems with them. They are now 10+ years old and still work fine.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

yeah, i've never had any problems with the off brands.
    but then again, i've never messed around with those 2,3,4 in one cards, just the standard sizes.
    and really? $10 for a ps1 card? the shop near me sells official ones for like $3...

Retro game console modder bacteria's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think I have a few spare PS1 memory cards if you need any; couple of pounds each plus postage if you're interested, PM me!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I have one that is a 72 In 1 Memory Card, and last time I tried it, it worked just fine. It just becomes a pain in the ass to remember which page your files are on.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would stick with genuine Sony memory cards if you can? We had so many problems with after market memory cards at the game store I use to work at, we stop selling them altogether.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It may or may not be blasphemy to suggest, but one of the perks of the PS3 is the ability to save PS1 memory data to the hard drive. They're not cheap obviously, especially if bought only for the purpose, but certainly easier to come by than the alternative.
    Last edited by wyethin; 05-23-2010 at 09:37 AM. Reason: OCD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rickstilwell1 View Post
    The one you really want to stay away from is the Mega Memory Card. it may have many many cards in one, but if you use too much of it, it will corrupt and be rendered useless.

The two in one cards aren't too bad though.

My solution is to keep just a couple Sony brand ones and transport the saves to the newer Sony systems as I fill them up and complete games.
    That's pretty much what I've been doing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow. I decided to check out Amazon to see what the market is on these PlayStation memory cards. It's clear from the descriptions that almost all of them are fakes/bootlegs. I would never buy any of them without getting a photo of the actual item first.

This is what makes Ebay superior.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Does this look Legit?? it's clear blue

http://cgi.ebay.com/Playstation-PS1-...item45eef9b50d

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Vectorman0
    PSN
    Vectorman0

Quote Originally Posted by MarioMania View Post

The auction states that it is third party.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

# Good quality third party product.
    I missed that part..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MarioMania View Post

That one is deliberately misleading with the stock photo showing the backside of the card, instead of the front where people could instantly tell it wasn't a Sony brand.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

As someone who has collected official and 3rd party PlayStation memory cards for a hobby, I know a photo showing the back of a PlayStation memory card is far more informative than a picture of the front.
    Take these two cards, for example.

Viewed from the front, the average person might assume both to be official Sony memory cards. The cases, front and back, are almost identical down to the smallest detail. But when viewed from the back, it’s easy to see that the real Sony memory card on the left has a chip on the memory card. The fake memory card on the right has round black blobs that substitute for chips.

Official Sony memory cards never substituted chips with blobs, but some official Sony memory cards, mostly the original grays, have two chips inside. Some 3rd party memory cards will have a chip and a blob, but practically every fake or 3rd party PlayStation memory card has a black blob somewhere on the card. The only exceptions being Nyko PlayStation cards and most of the multiple MB memory cards.

Even when in the original packaging, the unsuspecting might think they are purchasing an official Sony PlayStation memory card, when in fact, they aren’t. These two look pretty official at first glance, but notice the one on the right has Psone on the memory card. Official Sony PlayStation memory cards never have Psone on the card.

Collecting PlayStation memory cards has become quite an enjoyable hobby of mine. The diversity of the plain jane 3rd party memory cards is tremendous and there’s just all kinds of licensed collectable memory cards. It might surprise some to learn that the far more interesting cards are generally found in Europe and not Japan.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Spartacus View Post
    As someone who has collected official and 3rd party PlayStation memory cards for a hobby, I know a photo showing the back of a PlayStation memory card is far more informative than a picture of the front.
    Take these two cards, for example.

Viewed from the front, the average person might assume both to be official Sony memory cards. The cases, front and back, are almost identical down to the smallest detail. But when viewed from the back, it’s easy to see that the real Sony memory card on the left has a chip on the memory card. The fake memory card on the right has round black blobs that substitute for chips.

Official Sony memory cards never substituted chips with blobs, but some official Sony memory cards, mostly the original grays, have two chips inside. Some 3rd party memory cards will have a chip and a blob, but practically every fake or 3rd party PlayStation memory card has a black blob somewhere on the card. The only exceptions being Nyko PlayStation cards and most of the multiple MB memory cards.

Even when in the original packaging, the unsuspecting might think they are purchasing an official Sony PlayStation memory card, when in fact, they aren’t. These two look pretty official at first glance, but notice the one on the right has Psone on the memory card. Official Sony PlayStation memory cards never have Psone on the card.

Collecting PlayStation memory cards has become quite an enjoyable hobby of mine. The diversity of the plain jane 3rd party memory cards is tremendous and there’s just all kinds of licensed collectable memory cards. It might surprise some to learn that the far more interesting cards are generally found in Europe and not Japan.

Does the fake actually work? The circuit board traces look suspiciously like the ones in a 3 pack I had. 1 was DOA, 1 took out a few hundred hours of saves when it died. and I cashed out on the last one.
    BTW why do these fakes always have have a massive circuit board trace covering 90% of the front of the board? Anyone who sees that should run away as the card is garbage. That is about as good of an indicator as the (sarcasm) rat droppings on the other side.

Real ones never have traces on the front save for a rare Atmel/Motorola 2-chip that I have never heard of outside of early greys (These don't have a revision letter on the back btw)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Quote Originally Posted by The 1 2 P View Post
    I only have third party PS1 memory cards(Interact and Mad Cats) and I have never had any problems with them. They are now 10+ years old and still work fine.
    This.

I've had a PSOne memory card since around 1999, from EBGames. To this day, it has worked flawlessly. I also never remove the card from the console, unless I want to back it up using...

The Interact Dex Drive!

Really, the Dex Drive is wonderful. The ability to transfer to a PC is fantastic. I would make a backup of my completed game and transfer the backup to the PC. Then just to be sure the transferred file was good, I would take another memory card and transfer the file from the PC to the other card and load it on the PSOne. If it loaded (99.9% of the time), then I knew it was a perfect copy backup.
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Insert Coin (Level 0) spongerob's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Oh man, memory cards. There's something I don't miss at all.

I'd suggest going to Amazon and sites like Craigslist and getting real Sony branded ones. You're just running a bigger risk of losing all your data using some junky third party one. Even semi-respectable third party cards I've noticed will crap out more frequently. It's not worth the few bucks you'll save. The compression and decompression on the cards is just sloppily pasted together.

And like it's been said already, get a Dex Drive. Backup your saves. I lost a card years ago full of multiple RPG files and Fighter Maker character edits. Hundreds upon hundreds of hours lost. Always backup everything.

Awesome post by Spartacus too.