Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Anyone pick up Super Mario Galaxy 2 yet?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Oh look, there's still an SMG2 thread here. It has taken me this long to get both the game and the Wii in the same place so I can finally have a whack at it. (I have to wonder if Nintendo ever plans on releasing it as a budget title at this point.)

I wanted to ask how many people really went after those blasted Green Stars. It seems like one of those timesinks that would be useful for enduing a prison sentence, and I'm guessing there's not really any substantial reward at the end either.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

59 6F 75 72 20 48 44 44 20 61 64 64 69 6E 67 20 65 6D 62 61 72 72 61 73 73 69 6E 67 20 64 61 74 61
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho View Post
    I wanted to ask how many people really went after those blasted Green Stars. It seems like one of those timesinks that would be useful for enduing a prison sentence, and I'm guessing there's not really any substantial reward at the end either.
    While getting all the green stars can be a bit tedious at times, it is totally worth it.
    Mario says "... if you do drugs, you go to hell before you die."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I really enjoyed every moment of the green star hunt. The only star I need is the very, very last one, #242. Probably going to be needing it for quite awhile

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Yes, I think I am stopping at 241. Screw you, number 242! You're not going to get my sanity!

I confess that I had to stop and look at a couple of videos for those green stars, because some of them – while easily found – seemed quite impossible to get (namely Bowser's Galaxy Generator, Boulder Bowl, and Starshine Beach, but most of all Rainbow Rollercoaster). SMG1 was never this difficult. Luigi's Purple Coins is mildly taxing in comparison.
    Last edited by Jorpho; 04-01-2013 at 12:48 AM.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

59 6F 75 72 20 48 44 44 20 61 64 64 69 6E 67 20 65 6D 62 61 72 72 61 73 73 69 6E 67 20 64 61 74 61
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho View Post
    Yes, I think I am stopping at 241. Screw you, number 242! You're not going to get my sanity!

I confess that I had to stop and look at a couple of videos for those green stars, because some of them – while easily found – seemed quite impossible to get (namely Bowser's Galaxy Generator, Boulder Bowl, and Starshine Beach, but most of all Rainbow Rollercoaster). SMG1 was never this difficult. Luigi's Purple Coins is mildly taxing in comparison.
    Surely I'm not the only one who found Luigi's Purple Coins to be only moderately challenging.
    Mario says "... if you do drugs, you go to hell before you die."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Augh, it was tormenting me. Haunting my dreams! How much sanity did I sacrifice getting that last star? How easily shall I fall prey to the cultists when they come knocking?

I suppose it really isn't that bad; it's just a matter of figuring out how to do it consistently, particularly the fourth section – which I did, eventually. I think. I did need to watch a video to clue me into taking the middle approach in the final section rather than going to the left, which might have saved me a few hours of useless struggle. In the end, my recorded death count stands at 668 (which probably misses an extra fifty or so that I did not bother to save), with a total play time of over 40 hours. I am positive this really matters to everyone.

If I had to pick a favorite galaxy, it would probably be the Slimy Spring, just because of that extraordinarily nifty way you spend the whole level going through this dark tunnel, and then the music cuts out as you emerge up into the sunlight. Quite brilliantly done.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Had just started playing this when it first came out, then had to sell a bunch of stuff to pay for a medical emergency. I am just now able to play it again.

Peach (Level 3) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Anyone pick up Super Mario Galaxy 2 yet?

I liked the first one and to me this is like the first but with a few new twists. But all in all I like it and am happy with it.