Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anyone pick up Super Mario Galaxy 2 yet?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Tempest 2084
    PSN
    Tempest 2084

I'm almost through the fourth universe now. It still feels like SMG 1.5, but I'm having fun. I'm starting to get annoyed with falling off those little platforms because the camera angle changes on my without warning. I swear to god Mario must drink because that man can't run in a straight line to save his life!

Tempest
    --- www.AtariProtos.com ---
    All Your Prototypes Are Belong To Us!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Star Count Update:

54 and counting. Only 188 to go.

I'm fairly certain I'll never get the "crush the crabs with Boulder Mario" star. The first of many very difficult ones, I'm sure.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

My copy from Amazon still has not arrived.

Need to contact them again, since I was told to wait until today.

Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by heybtbm View Post
    Star Count Update:

54 and counting. Only 188 to go.

I'm fairly certain I'll never get the "crush the crabs with Boulder Mario" star. The first of many very difficult ones, I'm sure.
    Once you get a hang of it, that one is fairly easy. There are some difficult stars, but honestly, I thought that SMG1 was harder. The purple coin stages as well as bouldergeist prankster and the lava prankster were very very hard!
    The hardest star in SMG2 is the one in double time. I forget what it is called, but you'll know it when you get there.

Quote Originally Posted by megasdkirby View Post
    My copy from Amazon still has not arrived.

Need to contact them again, since I was told to wait until today.

Damn man, that's brutal. You should have just picked it up as soon as it came out at Gamestop (or Walmart) and then returned the one that came in to the same place. That way you wouldn't have had to wait so long.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I finally got a chance to crack open the plastic on this. At first I played it late at night, when I was pretty dead tired (just put my daughter to bed and should have done the same for myself) and I was having problems staying awake. "Man, is this what's to be expected?" I asked myself. Action games usually wake me up. Saturday I got more game time in and I was wide awake.

Verdict so far: I'm indifferent. It's not bad but it just feels rather, I dunno, same-y. Yes it is a sequel but as someone else mentioned, Mario games of the past had enough change to make it worthwhile. I think it might have to do with the combination of new changes on top of graphical/audio overhauls. Galaxy 2 just feels like I downloaded some DLC for Galaxy 1.

I know I'm way early in the game and it sounds like things really kick up the dirt later on, but I'm the kind of person that needs a game to hook me right away to keep me playing rather than slog through stuff to "get to the good parts". So I dunno, I'll probably pick at this game to get a star here and there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Tempest 2084
    PSN
    Tempest 2084

I finished this over the weekend. I haven't gone through the Secret Galaxy that opens up when you're done because the new galaxies require ridiculous amounts of stars to access. I don't have the patience to go through and collect all 120 stars, the game wasn't that good and several of the missing stars are insanely frustrating to get rather than fun. I'm not 12 anymore, I don't have time for such things these days.

I give this game a solid MEH. It's fun, but it's still just a SMG add-on pack. That and Mario seriously needs to shut the hell up. After an hour of playing I can't take all the "Woo hoo's" anymore. Although the ultimate in annoying is that damn blobby Grimace looking thing that keeps telling you to take a break after you die. If only you could kill it, but as we all know nothing can kill the Grimace.

Tempest

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Tempest View Post
    If only you could kill it, but as we all know nothing can kill the Grimace.

Tempest
    Eventually cholesterol will..

I'm at 92 stars and the difficulty is finally starting to ramp up. I honestly think the final castle/boss was easier than the first Mario Galaxy. I still hate that chimp but I've beaten a couple of those stages.

I'm pretty lazy when it comes to 100% completion but I'd like to get all 120 for once so I can do the second 120 star challenge (and you need 110 stars just to unlock the last secret level!!)

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm at 56 stars and really enjoying it. I've had a few difficult levels, but managed to beat them with a little perseverance and swearing.

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceHarrier View Post
    Eventually cholesterol will..

I'm at 92 stars and the difficulty is finally starting to ramp up. I honestly think the final castle/boss was easier than the first Mario Galaxy. I still hate that chimp but I've beaten a couple of those stages.

I'm pretty lazy when it comes to 100% completion but I'd like to get all 120 for once so I can do the second 120 star challenge (and you need 110 stars just to unlock the last secret level!!)
    Wait until you get to the green stars. I'm at 236 right now, and two of the ones left seem almost impossible. The other two I just can't find.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

Beat Mario Galaxy 1 finally (was at 63 stars for 2 years and then brought it up to 110 before calling it quits) so I started Mario Galaxy 2.

The game's great. Yoshi's controls are so ridiculously good. I was hesitant thinking that it would be awkward, but it was anything but.

So far the stages have been longer and the checkpoint flags were a nice addition I never knew I wanted. The design has been still top notch and levels have been inventive and not as routine as others have said. The Drill Top and Cloud Mario were highly enjoyable to use.

Just finished World 1. The removal of the oversized hub and the world map was also a nice surprise. Can't wait to play through this one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This game was awesome. I really enjoyed the 1st one last year and managed to get all 120 stars (didn't feel like getting the same 120 as Luigi just to get the 240 total...). Maybe it's just the fact that I was able to get all the stars in the first one, but I didn't really find SMG2 to be any more challenging than the original. I'm currently at 126 and plan on going for the 114 other green stars. I do like how you're getting new stars this time around, although I was hoping the prankster comets would lead to more speed run and purple coin challenges. Instead it's more like a hide & seek exploration chore.

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, I've been playing this game about a week. I was excited and anxious to finally play it. I must say, I'm slightly disappointed. For everything that it does better than Super Mario Galaxy 1, it messes something up.

What it don't like is that there's too many cheerful and colorful levels compared to Galaxy 1. Galaxy 1 had a great balance between "happy and colorful" and "climactic and epic" levels.
    Second, the game takes too long to build up. Almost nothing really wowed me before the 4th universe, besides the castle levels. It feels like Nintendo is intentionally holding back until the final worlds. Galaxy 1 wowed me from beginning to end. This has been the most disappointing thing so far.
    Also, the music is disappointing. I've come across three good tunes so far. Everything else seems like mediocre remixes of Gusty Garden Galaxy. Some music also feels out of place in certain galaxies. This is a less significant point than the others, but it's still a problem.

All in all, it's still a good game. The powerups and Yoshi are very well implemented. However, being a Mario fan almost since I was born has left me with high standards as to what deserves a perfect 10.
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Just finished up the last of the 120 green stars. What a fun challenge! Brings all those memories of childhood easter egg hunts back to life!

Anyone who is still on the fence or is thinking about buying this game and isn't a 100% completionist type (like me.. lazy, I know) just trust me, you want to get the comet medals on your first run through! I ended up playing practically the whole game twice through just so I could get to the green star challenge. This is sad to admit, but this was the first Mario game where I've gotten even the first 120 stars. Something about it compelled me..

Ultimately I found the first game slightly more charming and liked the overall level designs more, but I found MG2 way more addictive and replayable.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

Finished playing Galaxy 2. Got 120 yellow stars + + all medals + 3 green stars. Just no desire to hunt for random green stars.

The game's fantastic. Challenging, not hard at times and the design is better than the first. Having 2 or 3 yellow stars per Galaxy is quite nice. Keeps each Galaxy from becoming played out.

10/10.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I can't believe I have not gotten this game yet. I loved the first one(as well as most Mario games), but I don't like spending $50 on a new game. Unfortunately, it will probably be $50 for the next year or two. Anyone got a copy they want to trade, send me a PM?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Tempest 2084
    PSN
    Tempest 2084

Unless you REALLY loved SMG 1 and want more of the same, I wouldn't say SMG 2 is worth the $50. I'd wait for it to come down in price (if that ever happens) or get it used. $50 just seems like way too much for an over glorified expansion pack.

Tempest

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MachineGex View Post
    I can't believe I have not gotten this game yet. I loved the first one(as well as most Mario games), but I don't like spending $50 on a new game. Unfortunately, it will probably be $50 for the next year or two. Anyone got a copy they want to trade, send me a PM?

You should have gotten it yesterday at Gamestop during the buy 2 get 1 free deal. It sells used for $40, so if you bought 3 $40 games (lots of good Wii titles in the $40-45 range) it would effectively cost you around $27 each.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I completed the game 100% a few days ago and had a blast, highly recommended! The difficulty level is just right. The final yellow stars can be quite tough but are still a lot fun. Perfect Run really highlights this, it looks impossible at first but with enough practice it can be beaten and a very rewarding experience.

The green stars were the weakest part, IMO. While some were clever, there were just too many in spots that required a blind jump and/or awful camera angles - Flipsville 3, Shiverburn 2, Boo Moon 1, Hightail Falls 2, etc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MachineGex View Post
    Man just look on ebay as my close friend snagged him a brand new copy sealed on there for $35 shipped....I'm sure you can find a copy less than $52.99 including tax in stores.

Proud owner of a PS3, Xbox 360, Nintendo Wii, PSP and 3DS

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by portnoyd View Post
    Finished playing Galaxy 2. Got 120 yellow stars + + all medals + 3 green stars. Just no desire to hunt for random green stars.

The game's fantastic. Challenging, not hard at times and the design is better than the first. Having 2 or 3 yellow stars per Galaxy is quite nice. Keeps each Galaxy from becoming played out.

10/10.
    Pretty much my exact experience. I stopped playing this one over a month ago but I finished with 120 gold stars and about 13 green ones before I dropped it for good.

10/10 highly recommended.
    WTB Clayfighter Sculptor's Cut Manual Only... PM ME!!