Quote Originally Posted by BacteriaInfection View Post
Can someone explain to me why the hell the powerpak costs $140. No matter how I do the math, the total production costs etc don't add up to anything near that figure.

Even if we assume worst case scenario it costs them $100 per unit to make so that for each sale they are making $40, I still don't see how it's costing them $100 to make this thing??

I mean, a famiclone system like the Retro Duo, that is 2 systems in one, comes with two controllers is still only about $40-60. Or what about the Gen Mobile? Comes with 20 games built in and still doesn't cost half that amount. It doesn't add up....it just doesn't add up.

A part of me thinks their "it's expensive and requires a lot of work" argument is a bunch of baloney. NOW I'm NOT saying there aren't any legitimate costs associated with producing the thing, but $140 seems completely UNREASONABLE. I really feel there's a lot of greed involved in that number
Retro Duo likely had a very high production run, professionally, perhaps even in an actual factory. The guy doing the PowerPak's is not making that many. As an example, the guy making the Atari 2600 flash cart, which is much smaller, with less hardware than the SNES PowerPak, had to increase the base model to $60 to try to get back even. They're making them by hand, it takes time, and you need to make $$$ to make your time worth it.