Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: More Than One Version of The SNES Model 1?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default More Than One Version of The SNES Model 1?

So I got a spare super nintendo today from the salvation army and immediately tested it out to see if it worked. Sure enough, it boots up just fine, but something was definitely off. Switching back my original snes It hit me. The other one's picture was noticeably more blurry.

I opened both up and the actual insides seem to be different on each. Mainly, one motherboard is labeled 1991, and the other is labeled 1995. The later, being the one that has worse picture. Both were run on the exact same tv with the same S-video cord & power supply.

Can anyone explain this?

Do certain models of the original SNES just not run well in S-video or is there another issue completely here?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There are five revisions of the original SNES SNS-001:

SHVC-CPU-01
    SNS-GPM-CPU-01
    SNS-GPM-CPU-02
    SNS-RGB-CPU-01
    SNS-1CHIP-CPU-01

The weird part concerning your post is that video was actually improved. Earlier SNES revs (SHVCs and GPMs) use the old ROHM BA6592F encoder(S-ENC). The RGBs and 1CHIPs use the BA6595F (S-RGB) and SNES Jr. use the BA6596F (S-RGB A).

Maybe the unit you tested is picking up interference? The older SNESes had a bulkier RF shield. Also, a capacitor or some other component on the video circuit might be going out.
    Last edited by izarate; 07-01-2010 at 08:38 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Interference is unlikely, as I removed the shielding completely under the assumption that that would fix the issue. I guess it's just a dieing system. It's barely noticeable unless you play them side by side but the difference is there.

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Oh great, another system with a bunch of variants in video quality. Please tell me it's not as crazy as the sheer amount of Genesis variants!
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It really isn't that different. The most noticeable improvement comes with the BA6596F ("S-RBG A") which doesn't produce the faint vertical lines at the center of the screen:

Apart from that, picture sharpness and quality is almost the same except for a marginal improvement in color separation (most noticeable with S-Video):

Left: BA6592, Right: BA6595/96
    Last edited by izarate; 05-30-2010 at 03:02 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

Quote Originally Posted by BetaWolf47 View Post
    Oh great, another system with a bunch of variants in video quality. Please tell me it's not as crazy as the sheer amount of Genesis variants!
    Ugh. The thought of how horrible the video quality of some Genesis units is... My plan is to sell what I've got left and start over with a proper condition one down the road.
    Lum fan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

At least it's not as crazy as the Genesis since the BA6592 and the BA6595/96 use different support circuitry and their pinouts are different also so they aren't drop in replacements (unlike the CXA1145, MB3514 and KA2195) meaning that you won't find a BA6592 on a newer SNES.
    Last edited by izarate; 05-30-2010 at 03:05 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hey Izrate...

thanks for providing this great info! I've always thought some of my SNES have better image quality than others... but could never find any info on this.

My question for you is... which model is best? and where can i find this model # on the system itself? The newer models are so much lighter than the old ones as far as weight goes too I've noticed.

lastly, I've noticed while using S-video on SNES.. there seems to be a fairly thick faint Purple vertical line on the screen... is this due to the model # I'm using? I'm using Monster S-video cables which were brand new in package.

thanks for all your help!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Retromangia View Post
    which model is best? and where can i find this model # on the system itself?
    I'd say the best is the SNES 2 for the BA6596F encoder; for the SNES 1 I'd say the best are the SNS-CPU-RGB-01 and SNS-CPU-1CHIP-01.

The revision is printed on the PCB:

Quote Originally Posted by Retromangia View Post
    lastly, I've noticed while using S-video on SNES.. there seems to be a fairly thick faint Purple vertical line on the screen...
    I assume you mean this:

Refer to my previous post: http://www.digitpress.com/forum/show...95&postcount=5
    Last edited by izarate; 06-17-2010 at 07:44 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I get that faint band occurring on my Super Famicom, but not on my US SNES.

I also get a bit of blurriness around the edges of text and sprites on my SFC, something which my US SNES doesn't do.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A little bit of extra info.

I recently found an SNES PCB rev. SNS-CPU-GPM-02 sporting an "S-ENC B" chip, it being the BA6594F...so, that means that there must be an "S-ENC A" which most likely is the BA6593F.

So:
    S-ENC = ROHM BA6592F
    S-ENC A = ROHM BA6593F *conjecture*
    S-ENC B = ROHM BA6594F
    Every S-ENC are pin compatible

S-RBG = ROHM BA6595F
    S-RGB A = ROHM BA6596F
    Every S-RGB are pin compatible

SNES SNS-001:
    Encoders found in rev. SHVCs and GPMs: S-ENC, A, B
    Encoders found in rev. RGBs and 1CHIPs: S-RGB (*confirmed*), S-RGB A (*conjecture since they are pin compatible*)

SNES SNS-101:
    S-RGB A (I've been through several and all of them have it)

BA6591/92/93/94 pinout:
    *working*

BA6595/96 pinout:
    Last edited by izarate; 07-15-2010 at 04:04 PM.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Since I have a stack of SNES systems right now I decided to look into hardware revisions so I could decide which to keep. One of the systems I opened has the board SNS-CPU-RGB-02, so I guess there are at least 6 revisions of the model 1 now?

So out of the 4 I opened 3 of them are SNS-CPU-GPM-01 and 1 is SNS-CPU-RGB-02. I have 3 more I don't even think are worth bothering with since they look to probably be the original board (a bit heavier, silver serial # sticker on the bottom).

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Okay spent some more time doing a few tests of the SNS-CPU-RGB-02. My notes are:

- Uses S-RGB A BA6596F encoder, same as SNS-101 or model 2 SNES systems. Seems to be the best video encoder for SNES systems according to izarate's findings.
    - Does S-Video output native unlike SNS-101/model 2 SNES systems. I'm not sure why the SNES 2 systems don't do S-video off hand but it's a major down side of those systems no doubt.
    - My NTSC SNES RGB cable works great with this system where my SNS-CPU-GPM-01 system would display a very bright/washed out picture. There has been a lot of confusion with NTSC SNES RGB cables where an extra cap needs to be installed, this might all boil down to a board revision problem which I've never seen it mentioned.

Hopefully more people can contribute so we can figure out what is truly the "best" SNES board revision and exactly how many exist. A lot of work like this has been done for the Genesis side but not the SNES.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    raymondlyd
    PSN
    soniccd

very bright/washed out picture happened to me with my gamegube once
    i had to replace the cable.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

One more thing to note is the annoying faint band/vertical line in the center of the screen is still present with the RGB-02, isn't there some fix for this problem? I guess most people don't notice it but I find it very annoying.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by savageone View Post
    - Uses S-RGB A BA6596F encoder, same as SNS-101 or model 2 SNES systems. Seems to be the best video encoder for SNES systems according to izarate's findings.
    - Does S-Video output native unlike SNS-101/model 2 SNES systems. I'm not sure why the SNES 2 systems don't do S-video off hand but it's a major down side of those systems no doubt.
    - My NTSC SNES RGB cable works great with this system where my SNS-CPU-GPM-01 system would display a very bright/washed out picture. There has been a lot of confusion with NTSC SNES RGB cables where an extra cap needs to be installed, this might all boil down to a board revision problem which I've never seen it mentioned.

Hopefully more people can contribute so we can figure out what is truly the "best" SNES board revision and exactly how many exist. A lot of work like this has been done for the Genesis side but not the SNES.

WOW! I've never seen that one before!!!

This is very exciting, I thought that I had seen every SNES revision so far. So, yeah, this ups the number of confirmed board revisions to 6.

It's possible to restore the S-Video on a SNES 2. Nintendo just removed the handful of components that were used for the S-Video output: http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126959

So you still get the vertical line with the S-RGB A??? I really thought that the S-RGB A was the fix to that.

It might be that the line is a degenerative issue present in the SNES 1 models I've used my modded SNES 2 for 8 years now and the line hasn't shown up. The SNES 2 S-Video mod that I posted doesn't restore every component but almost every modern CRT seemed to process the signal without issue so I left it at that. If I recall correctly, the SNES 1 has a couple of transistors and inductors in the S-Video output in addition to the capacitors so it might be that they are wearing out and that produces the vertical line.

Anyway, the BA6596F (S-RGB A) was the latest ROHM RGB encoder used in the SNES so it should provide the best picture.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm planning to acquire a SNES soon, so this thread interests me.

Is this "vertical band" problem only when using s-video? Will composite video not have this artifact on any revision of the SNES?

What is the native output of the SNES? For example, the NES video chip outputs composite. I was under the impression that the SNES video chip outputs RGB, then the video encoder chip(s) convert it to the other types if needed.

Is there any way to know if you have a particular revision based on external markings? I know the difference between the "new" and "old" case (printed vs molded "eject", etc), but if there are several hardware revisions, is there any indication on the outside? Maybe something as simple as a certain serial number range?
    Last edited by Zing; 04-13-2011 at 12:39 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zing View Post
    Is this "vertical band" problem only when using s-video? Will composite video not have this artifact on any revision of the SNES?
    The line is present in both composite and S-Video. RGB seems to not produce it. As far as I can tell, it seems to be a degenerative issue (failing capacitors maybe?) I thought that the S-RGB encoder chips didn't produce the line but others are reporting that it does so maybe it's just that my SNES 2 hasn't shown it yet.

What is the native output of the SNES? For example, the NES video chip outputs composite. I was under the impression that the SNES video chip outputs RGB, then the video encoder chip(s) convert it to the other types if needed.
    The ROHM encoders take RGB so I'd say that it produces RGB. I'm not entirely sure, tought.

Is there any way to know if you have a particular revision based on external markings? I know the difference between the "new" and "old" case (printed vs molded "eject", etc), but if there are several hardware revisions, is there any indication on the outside? Maybe something as simple as a certain serial number range?
    There are a few things that can help you identify groups of PCB versions:

SHVCs:
    - FCC information is in a label underneath the console.
    - Molded "EJECT"
    - Cartridge connector edges are silver (open the cartridge slot cover and look through the little slits on the edge of the plastic around the connector)
    Note: All silver connectors can be replaced.

GPMs:
    - FCC information is molded on the underside of the console
    - Printed "EJECT"
    - Small grey label close to the power switch
    - Cartridge connector edges are silver (open the cartridge slot cover and look through the little slits on the edge of the plastic around the connector)

RGBs, 1CHIPs:
    - Printed "EJECT"
    - Cartridge connector edges are black (open the cartridge slot cover and look through the little slits on the edge of the plastic around the connector)
    Note: Black edged connectors are fixed and cannot be replaced.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by izarate View Post
    There are a few things that can help you identify groups of PCB versions:

SHVCs:
    - FCC information is in a label underneath the console.
    - Molded "EJECT"

GPMs:
    - Printed "EJECT"

RGBs, 1CHIPs:
    - Printed "EJECT"
    - Cartridge connector edges are black (open the cartridge slot cover and look through the little slits on the edge of the plastic around the connector)
    Note: Black edged connectors are fixed and cannot be replaced.
    I just opened an SHVC-CPU-01 I've had since a teenager and it doest NOT have a molded eject button. it was definitely printed.

*(edit)i think you have the eject button type swapped on the GPM's and SVCH's.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by izarate View Post
    The line is present in both composite and S-Video. RGB seems to not produce it.
    Just a head's up, I have an old and new SNES model 1 and they both produce the vertical band in RGB.

SNES2/Jr. completely gets rid of it. However, I really like the design of the original US SNES so it kinda stinks I have to use the SNES2 to get rid of the problem