Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: More Than One Version of The SNES Model 1?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I assume you mean the SNES model 2 does not have the vertical band when using RGB, as it is definitely there with composite.

I agree with you about the case design. In particular, I dislike the lack of colour. The words "super nintendo" are moulded along with the rest of the case with no colour.
    Last edited by Zing; 08-16-2011 at 02:42 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zing View Post
    I assume you mean the SNES model 2 does not have the vertical band when using RGB, as it is definitely there with composite.
    I just checked, the streak is not there with composite. I have a pretty keen eye for this stuff, so maybe you and I are talking about different things? For reference, I see it on the SNES 1 no matter what (composite, s-video, or RGB).

Quote Originally Posted by Zing View Post
    I agree with you about the case design. In particular, I dislike the lack of colour. The words "super nintendo" are moulded along with the rest of the case with no colour.
    Yeah, it looks cheap, most of my friends think it's a bootleg, and it loses all nostalgia points. If there were only a way to get the SNES 2 video quality out of an SNES 1!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

hi everyone

sorry for my interuption.
    i have a snsp-cpu-02 mainboard with an s-enc a encoder.

i want to tap the rgbs signals before the enter the encoder (im really sorry for ppl and regions which need encoders) and then adjust the levels.

are there no pinouts for the s-enc a or better for the ppus to tao the signals right at source??

again sorry if im interupting but this was the best place to ask i found

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyLongLegs View Post
    I just checked, the streak is not there with composite. I have a pretty keen eye for this stuff, so maybe you and I are talking about different things? For reference, I see it on the SNES 1 no matter what (composite, s-video, or RGB).
    I have the USA model 2, using composite, and the vertical band is very clearly there when playing games such as Yoshi's Island, Earthbound, and Super Metroid.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sorry to necro-bump here, but I just opened up my SNES to try and match it up with those in this thread and it's not listed. The revision states C 1995 Nintendo, SNS-CPU-1CHIP-02. If I wanted to RGB or S-video mod this would I run into any major issues in revisions?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    APE992

That brightness bit almost looks like what is called a "hum bar" but I've never seen one that was vertical and stationary.
    I fix things. You name it, I'll work on it. Want something modded? Recapped?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

Well I think you shouldn't need a mod for that.

Only the smaller SNES lacks RGB and s-video, yet it was never released in PAL where RGB users are most commonly found.
    Lum fan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by theclaw View Post
    Well I think you shouldn't need a mod for that.

Only the smaller SNES lacks RGB and s-video, yet it was never released in PAL where RGB users are most commonly found.
    What do you mean I don't need a mod? Is there a S-Video cable for the SNES or something?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

Yes. Even at least US and Japan boxes are known to exist. While how they were distributed and the number of units made remain sketchy, it's far easier to obtain the JPN one complete in box if you must have a box.

Lum fan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well color me surprised! I guess that's what I'll need to keep an eye out for.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As far as I know, the SNES, N64 and GameCube all have cross compatible multi-outs, so an s-video cable from one should work for the other. Really easy to find on eBay.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

Well that begs the question whether N64 or GameCube branded cables had an official release though... Could be tough, virtually everyone tosses out such boxes.
    Lum fan.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I know this thread is pretty old but I found something others might find interesting.

The only humanly possible way I was able to see the thick vertical line in the SNES mini was if I used a PowerPak from retrousb.com. It was clear as day during the title screen of Final Fantasy 6. When using the real cart, it was barely there (and I mean barely). On the model 1 SNES, real cart or PowerPak, the thick line is noticeable in pretty much every game imaginable.

Also worthy of note is that I also own an SNES Everdrive (a different "brand" of flash cart for the SNES) and the line is barely noticeable in FF6 on the model 2. This tells me the thick line has something to do with some sort of interference, or perhaps more power being drained from the SNES, when using the PowerPak. This is particularly interesting because I own an RGB modded AV Famicom (a console designed specifically to get rid of the jailbars in the NES image) and the only time the jailbars ever show up? When using the NES Powerpak.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PolygonGTC
    PSN
    PolygonGTC
    Steam
    BlastMode7

Quote Originally Posted by theclaw View Post
    Yes. Even at least US and Japan boxes are known to exist. While how they were distributed and the number of units made remain sketchy, it's far easier to obtain the JPN one complete in box if you must have a box.

Wow!

Thanks for that. I had no idea there was S-Video for the SNES. Now I just need to see if I can find two of these cables.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I am trying to get my hands on a model 1 US SNES that has a BA6596F chip inside it. If I read this thread right, it's only available in model 1 SNES systems from the US with a number of SNS-CPU-RGB-02 on the motherboard.

I have been to my local retro game store, and found several SNES systems with the black plastic on the sides of the cart slot in the SNES. But reading this thread, it seems like it can be either a SNS-CPU-RGB-01, SNS-CPU-RGB-02, or an SNS-1CHIP-CPU-01. Is this correct?

If so, it has been determined that SNS-CPU-RGB-02 is actually newer than SNS-1CHIP-CPU-01? I am speculating because the SNS-CPU-RGB-02 has the better BA6596F chip the SNES 2 has. Did I get this all right so far?

If this is all the case, is there any way to be 100% certain I am getting a BA6596F chip inside an SNES using external factors so I don't have to open 20 SNES systems with black around the cartridge slot?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyLongLegs View Post
    I am trying to get my hands on a model 1 US SNES that has a BA6596F chip inside it. If I read this thread right, it's only available in model 1 SNES systems from the US with a number of SNS-CPU-RGB-02 on the motherboard.
    Yes.

I have been to my local retro game store, and found several SNES systems with the black plastic on the sides of the cart slot in the SNES. But reading this thread, it seems like it can be either a SNS-CPU-RGB-01, SNS-CPU-RGB-02, or an SNS-1CHIP-CPU-01. Is this correct?
    Yes.

If so, it has been determined that SNS-CPU-RGB-02 is actually newer than SNS-1CHIP-CPU-01? I am speculating because the SNS-CPU-RGB-02 has the better BA6596F chip the SNES 2 has. Did I get this all right so far?
    Yes.

If this is all the case, is there any way to be 100% certain I am getting a BA6596F chip inside an SNES using external factors so I don't have to open 20 SNES systems with black around the cartridge slot?
    No.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I will also offer my opinion that the difference in quality between the encoders seems arbitrary at best. Some people report better image with older encoders, and some with newer. Some report the vertical band in the middle of the screen and some do not.

My experience is that the "SNES Jr" offers a worse image than my original heavy model 1 (the one with the separate sound daughterboard). My SNES Jr was brand new in box, and the image appeared to be overdriven, causing ghosting and the vertical line to be very pronounced. Whites were bluish (like a 9300k temp) instead of neutral/reddish like the model 1 (6500k temp). I can't say if this is due to the encoder itself, but the video output was clearly inferior.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd also say that if you're in good with your retro game shop they might be willing to let you slightly disassemble the console to see if it's got the specs you're looking for. Back in college the local Game Xchange was willing to open up like 4 different Saturn's for me until I found the model I was looking for, needless to said they definitely gained my gratitude and a lot of future business.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ok, since this forum (and thread especially) have been so helpful, I can post some results after buying all existing SNES models.

All model 1 systems have poor picture quality, except for the SNS-1CHIP-CPU-01. The SNS-1CHIP-CPU-01 looks just about as good as the SNES2, except it still has that ugly thick discolored bar in the middle. I desoldered the RF modulator and I did not see the thick ugly bar improve. The bar is way more noticeable using a PowerPak (the EverDrive does not suffer from this).

Interestingly, the newer SNS-CPU-RGB-02 has terrible picture quality. I find this interesting because according to what I've read, the SNS-CPU-RGB-02 is actually a newer revision than the SNS-1CHIP-CPU-01. Also, it is the only model 1 to have the BA6596F. So, apparently, the BA6596F being in the SNES2 is not why the SNES2 has an awesome picture.

Hopefully this info is useful to some people.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    raymondlyd
    PSN
    soniccd

i have this baord sns-cpu-1chip-01 but would like to swithless mod it any help what pins i need to lift thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by izarate View Post
    I'd say the best is the SNES 2 for the BA6596F encoder; for the SNES 1 I'd say the best are the SNS-CPU-RGB-01 and SNS-CPU-1CHIP-01.

The revision is printed on the PCB:

I assume you mean this:

Refer to my previous post: http://www.digitpress.com/forum/show...95&postcount=5