Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: More Than One Version of The SNES Model 1?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    APE992

More info here:

http://www.assemblergames.com/forums...-SNES-revision

DarthCloud would probably appreciate anyone sending him their PCB revision+serial number for his database.
    I fix things. You name it, I'll work on it. Want something modded? Recapped?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So, there seems to be virtually no info about the revision that I have here in front of me. It's an "SNS-CPU-APU-1" (1995). Anyone have some insight into this revision? Should I snap some pics?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wiggyx View Post
    So, there seems to be virtually no info about the revision that I have here in front of me. It's an "SNS-CPU-APU-1" (1995). Anyone have some insight into this revision? Should I snap some pics?
    Absolutely! Be sure to get some of the encoder as well.
    Do you have any idea if it has the better image quality like the 1 chip produces?

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I popped open my childhood system to find that I have an SNS-GPM-CPU-02. I couldn't find the model number anywhere, couldn't be bothered to remove the RF shielding.

That guy on Assembler is crazy about not being able to see a vertical line on Jr. systems. That thing is there on anything with a big, solid black color screen.
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyLongLegs View Post
    Do you have any idea if it has the better image quality like the 1 chip produces?
    I have no idea. I can do some testing though if anyone is interested. I have a 1 chip SFC to compare with. I'll snap some pics tomorrow if I can find the time. Over the weekend if not

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Through S-video it looks about the same as my 1-chip SFC, but neither look nearly as crisp as the SNS-101 with S-vid. Don't know if that sort of difference is typical between 1-chips and modded minis.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ok, here's something weird.
    I have three SNES model 2's and as we know the model 2's have the BA6596F. Well I opened all of them up today and I found one of them does not have the BA6596F! In fact, it has one I never heard of before:

What's that about??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    APE992

The S-RGB? I've heard of the chip before.

Damn shame it can't have component video pulled from it though. Yes, component:
    http://mikejmoffitt.com/wp/?p=74

No more need for Sony PVM displays if you're an American to get top notch video quality.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by APE992 View Post
    The S-RGB? I've heard of the chip before.
    Well they all say S-RGB. Just the first time I ever seen a model 2 that does not have a BA6596F.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    APE992

Well they all say S-RGB. Just the first time I ever seen a model 2 that does not have a BA6596F.
    I stand corrected.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Finally got around to testing the output of a few of my different systems. Looks like the CPU-APU that I have produces an image nearly identical to a 1chip.

APU-CPU

1-CHIP

S-VID modded SNS-101

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Question Confusion

I've created this account specifically to reply to this thread.

This thread contains a lot of technical data. What I was hoping to accomplish with my Google search was to find out what the "best SNES model" is. What I meant by that was, which UNMODDED SNES model will provide me with the best gamer experience(audio/video). I'm currently in possesion of three SNES', "SNS-CPU-APU-01", "SHVC-CPU-01" and "SNS-CPU-RGB-02". My question now is: of these three, which will provide me the best gamer experience UNMODDED and which will be the best MODDED?

If the known motherboards could be ranked from best to worst MODDED and best to worst UNMODDED, I think that would simplify things greatly and this tread could be locked and sticky'd.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    APE992

None of the above. The 1CHIP model is considered "the best" in picture quality unmodified. I'll be getting a 1CHIP SNES soon to compare to a non 1CHIP model using native RGB.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by APE992 View Post
    None of the above. The 1CHIP model is considered "the best" in picture quality unmodified. I'll be getting a 1CHIP SNES soon to compare to a non 1CHIP model using native RGB.
    I did not find your post very helpful. As I see it, of the three I listed one has to be better than the others. As for the "1CHIP", wiggyx claims that the "SNS-CPU-APU-01" is comparable to the "1CHIP". Anything to say for that? And could someone please post the complete part number of the "1CHIP" ?

AGAIN: If the known motherboards could be ranked from best to worst MODDED and best to worst UNMODDED, I think that would simplify things greatly and this tread could be locked and sticky'd.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    APE992

Quote Originally Posted by RaveDojek View Post
    I did not find your post very helpful. As I see it, of the three I listed one has to be better than the others. As for the "1CHIP", wiggyx claims that the "SNS-CPU-APU-01" is comparable to the "1CHIP". Anything to say for that? And could someone please post the complete part number of the "1CHIP" ?

AGAIN: If the known motherboards could be ranked from best to worst MODDED and best to worst UNMODDED, I think that would simplify things greatly and this tread could be locked and sticky'd.
    I don't get paid enough to custom tailor my posts - they are geared towards people capable of using Google and some basic search terms. "comparable" and "are completely, 100% the same" are not the same concept and while it may be comparable a $20 steak is not the same thing as a $5 steak.

SNS-CPU-1CHIP-01 and SNS-CPU-1CHIP-02 are the models.

I don't see the need to lock or sticky this topic.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

Quote Originally Posted by RaveDojek View Post

No need for that, model 2 makes it irrelevant. Beats all three at once.
    Lum fan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by theclaw View Post
    No need for that, model 2 makes it irrelevant. Beats all three at once.
    Only when modded.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    APE992

Quote Originally Posted by wiggyx View Post
    Only when modded.
    RGB out of the mini is gorgeous. I've done two so far and they don't need amps or any monkeying around.

That said the model 1 is pretty damn nice with RGB.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What's up with this? I have 4 model 1 SNES systems right now: SHVC-CPU-01, SNS-GPM-CPU-01, SNS-GPM-CPU-02, and the SNS-1CHIP-CPU-01. Now, this is concerning a couple of games and maybe even more. Pocky & Rocky and Super Ghouls and Ghosts are glitchy as hell on my SNS-1CHIP-CPU-01. Pocky & Rocky will flicker right when you turn it on and even sometimes freeze up when I get about 5 minutes or so into it. On SGaG, Arthur is very glitchy when he moves and the game all around is just a mess to play with the glitchy-ass graphics.

When I play these 2 games on any of the other variants I own, there are no problems whatsoever. Both games are play smoothly and no freezing up. Is anyone else having these problems on their SNS-1CHIP-CPU-01 when they play these 2 games? If you don't know and don't mind, check them out on your SNS-1CHIP-CPU-01 (if you're sure you have this variant) and see if they are just as glitchy. Reading through different threads here and on other gaming forums, the SNES variant one would prefer to own (other than the SNES 2/Jr) is the SNS-1CHIP-CPU-01. I have thoroughly cleaned the games' contacts and all of my systems' pin connectors. And it also should be noted than I'm using the cartridges and not a Powerpak/Everdrive.

I'd like to rectify this problem because I love my SNS-1CHIP-CPU-01. It's minty as hell and has barely been used. I guess if it came down to it, I could switch out the MOBO for a GPM-CPU-01 or GPM-CPU-02. But like I said, I'd rather not and fix this one if it's fixable.

edit: All other games, as far as I've seen, play just fine on my SNS-1CHIP-CPU-01. I have around 150 games and have played a little to quite a bit of each one, but these 2 happen to be a couple of my favorites.

Any help would be appreciative.
    Last edited by j1e; 09-04-2012 at 12:14 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Ninjamohawk

Sorry to necro this thread once again but I wanted to add my two cents (snesnts? ;D)

I have two snes': an SHVC-CPU-01 and an SNS-GPM-CPU-02. Gotta say for whatever reason I don't get the discolored bar down the middle of the screen with the SHVC. I do with the GPM 02 though. Badly.

Also the SHVC has much, much better and more full sound. Assuming this is due to it's huge sexy looking SHVC SOUND box.