Thread: Blur & Split Second

ServBot (Level 11) Iron Draggon's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Blur & Split Second

I just picked both up for the PC today. Who else is rocking out to these new badass racers this weekend? Looks like a great summer racing season ahead!
    You can't run with the big dogs if you pee like a puppy!

Get BIT!

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    jdotaku

having a blast with split second so far and blur is next!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

FYI: Split/Second is $40 this week at Best Buy (360 and PS3).
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nebagram
    PSN
    Nebagram

I got Blur for the 360 and to be brutally frank I'm not impressed. I've only played the single player so far but even that is enough to make my racing game purists's brain haemorrhage quite badly, particularly the part of the race where I went from 1st to 20th and last and back again in the space of one lap. Sure, this adds excitement to the game but if I want that I'll just go and play Rollcage thank you very much. The whole obsessive-compulsive light collecting gimmick is distracting- particularly the fan challenges bit- and at times I have to remind myself I am actually playing a driving game with licenced cars. If they wanted to do a grittier and edgier Mario Kart clone there are better ways of doing it- the aforementioned Rollcage and Full Auto spring immediately to mind, largely as they don't pretend to be anything other than utterly bonkers. Taking a combat racer and adding realism into it just feels out of place. And the boss fights are really fucking annoying.

That said though I am a racing purist, I've often said I find precisely nailing braking spots and apexes infinitely more satisfying than flinging cars sideways around corners using the handbrake. I'll go and play some more Forza 3 now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have not played Blur for Pc yet, but will try it soon. Split Second Ive already beaten. Its really good, but I have to warn you, the Detonator races are just not worth it. Gun for second place on them just to get the points and move on. You can still gain good cars by normal means, and as long as you get 1st in most of the normal races you'll rank 1st at the end of the game. Easily the best racer I have played in a long time, at least since Carbon. As for Blur, yea I have a feeling Im not going to enjoy it that much. It doesn't look nearly as frantic as Dethkarz or Rollcage Stage 2 in the gameplay videos I watched, and the cars look floaty in their movement.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    haasinhampton

im the opposite, i cant handle forza or gran turismo, way too realistic for me, I prefer a burnout type game.
    Autobots. Roll out.

Giganticus breathalizer Mr Mort's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ok, I just got done with a pretty long session playing Split/Second.

The game is not anywhere as bad as people are making it out to be. It's definately a fun game, and thus far, I don't regret getting it.
    There's room for improvement tho. The AI cheats (almost as bad as the yellow car in R.C. Pro-AM), and the rubber band effect is beyond blatant. The AI racers aren't concerned with winning as much as they are making you lose. Not only that, you will never keep 1st place for long. Inevitably, a pack of 3-4 racers will overtake you with ease, and if you don't have any power plays stocked up, you're screwed. I also wish you could bump cars into obstacles, Burnout-style. The career mode is lots of fun, but I'm not too sure how much replay value it'll have once you beat it.

Despite my gripes, I'm having a blast with this game. The graphics are slick and vibrant, there's a great sense of speed, and some of the shit you can do to the tracks will blow your mind and are real impressive. The controls are great for an arcade-style game, the drifting mechanics work well, especially if you've ever played a Ridge Racer game before.

As far as I'm concerned, Disney has done it again. It's too early to tell, but I think I might like Pure a bit more, but this game is tons of fun. Don't let the haters dissuade you.

As for Blur, I never got a chance to play the Beta, and I'm a bit apprehensive about it because I despise Mario Kart, and any racers like it. The gameplay just feels "cheap" to me. Is Blur really any better? I wish there was an actual demo so I could check it out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have played 360 demos for both, including the live beta version of Blur. I was very underwhelmed by Blur. The only thing I really liked about it was the fact that you could race with around 20 people at the same time. But the power ups didn't impress me much. On the other hand, I absolutly love Split Second. I wish the demo was live instead of playing against A.I. opponents but I still got the feel of the game. Most races in Split Second are not the same due to all the shortcuts(unlike most games these shortcuts drastically change the course of each track as opposed to being an alternate route to take). I have played the S.S. demo dozens of times and have remarked that it's probably the closest thing to a Burnout game since Burnout 3(besides Revenge of course).
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Semi Noob Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geezuzkane
    PSN
    Geezuzkhrist119
    Steam
    Geezuzkane

i dont plan on playing either of them but i must say i love that Blur commercial. its too funny.
    Twitter - GEEZUZKANE
    Nintendo: NESx3, SNES, N64x2, NGCx2, WIIx2, GB, GBP, GBCx2, GBASPx2, NDSLx2,
    Sega: SMS, GENx3, SATx2, DCx3
    Sony: PS1, PS1 moddedx2, PS1 Jap, PS1 Slim, PS2x2, PS2 Slim, PSP Go, PS3 Fat, PS3 Slim
    Others: XBOXx2, XBOX w/ hard mod, XBOX w/xbmc and 80gb HDD, X360, X360 Slim MW3 Edition, TG16, INTV, COLV, 2600 JR-broken, Wonderswanx2

Professional Geek Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I've played demos for both and:

Split Second: The prettier game of the two, but only an average racer. I did prefer the controls on this game over Blur.

Blur: Tons of fun. Reminded me a lot of San Francisco Rush 2049. I would play with a buddy and we'd do the 20 player matches. Absolute gold. I did hate how the game would reset you on the track if you spun out or what not, especially when you're able to recover from it (took less time IMO than the resetting).

Of the two, I'll definitely get Blur. Split Second may be a good rental for me or I'll pick it up when it's heavily discounted.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bow to postulio
    PSN
    MofoicDisaster

there are only two racing franchises this generation. Forza and Gran Turismo. everything else is just arcady childs play.

=P

ServBot (Level 11) Iron Draggon's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Poofta! View Post
    there are only two racing franchises this generation. Forza and Gran Turismo. everything else is just arcady childs play.

=P
    Unless you race on the PC! Then you know nothing of Forza or Gran Turismo, but you don't really care much because you have GTR & Race among many others, and that's not to mention iracing.com which is in a league by itself!
    You can't run with the big dogs if you pee like a puppy!

Get BIT!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Rising this thread from the dead.

I bought Split/Second last night on onlive (on sale) and it is really really fun. It's as arcadey as arcade-racers come, but that's great.

I can't believe I missed this when it first came out.

Graphics are great too - I am impressed!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Split Second is an awesome game. Unfortunatly the sequel got canceled and most members of the development team were laid off from Disney. But it's still a fun game to play, especially online against real people. Nothing like owning someone in multiplayer by dropping a plane out of the sky and onto their head.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Split/Second is fun but extremely unbalanced. Being good at racing is a penalty, because by being ahead of someone and hitting the shortcut, they can pull the second shortcut out either while you're in the middle of the shortcut causing you to crash, or if you pass through, they can pull through the next shortcut and pull 10 or more seconds ahead of you because of that.

So how do you play Split/Second and make sure you win first every time or almost every time? Stay back. Why rush forward when you can stay back wait for someone else to hit the short cut and then you take the alternate shortcut(atleast on those that have multiple shortcuts on the same path.) Obviously being good at the game helps, but if you're behind first place you always have an advantage as long as you can keep your power bar up.

It's not Mario Kart unbalanced though.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Giganticus breathalizer Mr Mort's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Blur's strength is in its multiplayer. If you're only playing it single-player, you're not experiencing the game to its fullest. The multiplayer games are an absolute blast.

With Split/Second, it's the exact opposite. The multiplayer is a waste of time, but you can really sink your teeth in to the single player campaign.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    jdotaku

these are good games and agreed with games of this sort you must play them online for full effect