0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geezuzkane
    PSN
    Geezuzkhrist119
    Steam
    Geezuzkane

Default PS2 Fix Help

i got a ps2 with a disc read error. i opened it up and was able to get it to read a dvd movie, recognize ps2 games but doesnt play them and ps1 games dont get recognized at all. does anyone know how to fix this problem?

i got a model scph-30001 Serial Number U3515807 date code 1A

back story - i bought the system off a friend back in 2002 or 2003. the system decided to stop reading discs back in 2007 and been sitting in a box for like last 3 years.
    hopefully that can help out with the fix.
    Last edited by geezuzkhrist119; 05-31-2010 at 06:43 PM.
    Twitter - GEEZUZKANE
    Nintendo: NESx3, SNES, N64x2, NGCx2, WIIx2, GB, GBP, GBCx2, GBASPx2, NDSLx2,
    Sega: SMS, GENx3, SATx2, DCx3
    Sony: PS1, PS1 moddedx2, PS1 Jap, PS1 Slim, PS2x2, PS2 Slim, PSP Go, PS3 Fat, PS3 Slim
    Others: XBOXx2, XBOX w/ hard mod, XBOX w/xbmc and 80gb HDD, X360, X360 Slim MW3 Edition, TG16, INTV, COLV, 2600 JR-broken, Wonderswanx2

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Blow all of the dust out of the console and clean the laser lens.

Semi Noob Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geezuzkane
    PSN
    Geezuzkhrist119
    Steam
    Geezuzkane

i figured out the real problem. the bars and the gear thing that moves the lens arent greased up enough so thats the loud clicking sound i been hearing.

what do i use to grease the bars?
    Twitter - GEEZUZKANE
    Nintendo: NESx3, SNES, N64x2, NGCx2, WIIx2, GB, GBP, GBCx2, GBASPx2, NDSLx2,
    Sega: SMS, GENx3, SATx2, DCx3
    Sony: PS1, PS1 moddedx2, PS1 Jap, PS1 Slim, PS2x2, PS2 Slim, PSP Go, PS3 Fat, PS3 Slim
    Others: XBOXx2, XBOX w/ hard mod, XBOX w/xbmc and 80gb HDD, X360, X360 Slim MW3 Edition, TG16, INTV, COLV, 2600 JR-broken, Wonderswanx2

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Try automotive bearing grease (the red stuff). Also electric razor oil works good.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

1)Clean the lens with a cotton swab and alcohol. Dip one side of the swab in alcohol, remove excess alcohol, and in CIRCULAR motions, clean the lens. Do not apply excessive pressure: only do enough to clean the top of the lens. Dry with other side of the qtip in circular motions as well. Let dry for a few minutes and test system.

If nothing...

2)Tweak the potentiometer. You will need to open your console and with a multimeter, check each pot for it's values. There is a list online of specific values for each console and/or lens. Try to set your pot to a value very, VERY close to that specified, and test the system once more.

If nothing...

3)Replace the lens with an equal one.

If nothing....

4)It may be the board itself. If it's that, you are better off getting a PS2 console.
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

I got mine to work by adjusting the laser height using an allen wrench on the gear in the back. Adjusted it a few clicks at a time untill it played most games, then fine tuned it untill it played pretty much everything...PS2, PS1 and DVD's. There's still a few PS2 games it won't play(they load but get stuck on a black screen) and it seems to take forever to load a few others though.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...