Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BBS "door games" ... modern equivalent?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default BBS "door games" ... modern equivalent?

Any old-timers hanging around here may remember "door games" — game modules, sometimes multiplayer, which were tacked on to the various dial-up Bulletin Board Systems. I used to play these for hours after school.

My real question is whether there are any modern PHP forum systems with similar functionality, such as integrating games into something like phpBB. Anyone have any ideas? I still keep up with some of my old BBS members and we'd like to start up something new.

As for the rest of the topic, please feel free to reminisce about your favorite door games
    DP Buy/Sell feedback is here: GM80's Feedback Thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

After school my friends and I used to race from the school bus to our respective houses to see who could log onto Yucca's Domain (Maryland) first. We had a fierce competition going in Trade Wars and Overkill (the 2nd of the two doors being my favorite). It was an awesome BBS but it couldn't handle more than 1 (maybe 2?) calls at a time. Fortunately the friend of mine who lived closest to where the school bus dropped us off had call waiting, so when I got home, if the line was busy, I'd call his house and force drop him off......he hated me for that. Unfortunately it didn't take him long to discover *70.

Murder Motel and Pit Fighter are two others I have a fond memories of. It's been a long time, and memory may be rose tinted, but I'd love to try to find those games again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Tempest 2084
    PSN
    Tempest 2084

I asked this exact same question (even my title was the same) on AA awhile back and didn't get much in the way of responses. I'd really like to find a BBS that has LORD, Falcon's Eye, and Trade Wars. Those are the three I played the most back in my college days.

Tempest
    --- www.AtariProtos.com ---
    All Your Prototypes Are Belong To Us!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The owner, I think, posted this a while ago http://opengate.dtdns.net/apps/flashterm/lord.html

You can play LORD there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Having had my fill of LORD many years ago, I find myself quite disinclined to take a stab at MMORPGs.

Anyway, back in the phpBB days, this here board had quite an extensive little arcade, but that was dispensed with after the move to vBulletin.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tempest View Post
    I'd really like to find a BBS that has LORD, Falcon's Eye, and Trade Wars. Those are the three I played the most back in my college days.
    Setting up a new Telnet-accessible BBS is actually something that's not too difficult. In fact, I have one now. I'll probably expand that with some games if I can't find a newer web-based option.

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho View Post
    Anyway, back in the phpBB days, this here board had quite an extensive little arcade, but that was dispensed with after the move to vBulletin.
    I remembered that from my earliest days here — something about racking up credits to spend in the arcade — but had no idea if that was a custom job. Any leads on where that phpBB extension came from? One of the residents?
    Last edited by GM80; 06-01-2010 at 06:03 PM.
    DP Buy/Sell feedback is here: GM80's Feedback Thread

Part of the #vbender crew Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Abstract Zero
    PSN
    Ze_roV
    Steam
    abstractzero

I'm surprised there's no equivalent to Trade Wars and LORD on Facebook. Seems like a logical substitute for BBS's.

Usurper was always one of my favourites

--Zero

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Tempest 2084
    PSN
    Tempest 2084

Oh and Usurper. Loved that game.
    --- www.AtariProtos.com ---
    All Your Prototypes Are Belong To Us!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default I've got a BBS - Convolution BBS (convolution.us)

Hi all,
    Actually found this thread while looking for some help with one of my doors.
    I currently run a BBS - Convolution BBS it can be found here:

http://convolution.us

(or directly with an ANSI telnet client):

telnet://convolution.us

I've got a flash telnet ANSI client on the website that you can use to connect. I've got LORD, BRE, usurper, tw2002, and just about all the others. I've I'm missing any, just let me know and I'll try to find it and add it.

Regards,
    Jonathan

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ro-J View Post
    After school my friends and I used to race from the school bus to our respective houses to see who could log onto Yucca's Domain (Maryland) first. We had a fierce competition going in Trade Wars and Overkill (the 2nd of the two doors being my favorite). It was an awesome BBS but it couldn't handle more than 1 (maybe 2?) calls at a time. Fortunately the friend of mine who lived closest to where the school bus dropped us off had call waiting, so when I got home, if the line was busy, I'd call his house and force drop him off......he hated me for that. Unfortunately it didn't take him long to discover *70.

Murder Motel and Pit Fighter are two others I have a fond memories of. It's been a long time, and memory may be rose tinted, but I'd love to try to find those games again.
    Oh my god! Yucca's domain. I remember.. what did they run? Searchlight? PCboard? I used to log onto that board too.. before I found "elite" systems. I actually lied to the Sysop (Was his name Bruce or something) So I could get access to the "adult" section and those naughty EGA still clips. God I miss BBSin..

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was a BBS fanatic and used the terminal app JRComm on my Amiga 500 daily. I know I used to play some of the BBS games like Trade Wars but I don't recall any others. I loved the chat rooms also. I was thinking about the hardware I had and used. I had them all starting at a 300 baud modem for the Commodore 64 to a 56K. I had a U.S. Robotics 14.4 with Fax modem and the U.S. Robotics HST modems like the V.32 16.8. Wow, the good ol' days! Anyone remember the HST modems they were pretty bulky but black and sleek witht he red lights on the front a volume control knob. I had a couple of the smaller Sportsters also like the 14.4 with Fax. I miss those long noisy connection sounds.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hi all, this is my first post

I actually went through a bunch of BBS info like 4 months ago. First off I have to say that if you enjoyed using BBS long ago, you'll really enjoy Jason Scott's BBS documentry. It is one of the best purchases I've ever made and it's really well made. He also has another documentry on Interactive Fiction (text adventure games). http://www.bbsdocumentary.com/

Also, if you need a web-based LORD fix, check out Legend of the GREEN Dragon: http://www.lotgd.net/home.php

Here are some BBS links you might find handy.

Clients
    1) SyncTerm - http://syncterm.bbsdev.net/ - Really a great telnet client
    2) CGTerm - http://www.paradroid.net/cgterm/ - Client for dialing C64 BBS. C64 had a different character set and C64-based BBS really look beautiful on this client.

BBS Listings
    1) http://www.synchro.net/sbbslist.html - Lists Syncronet BBS
    2) http://bbsfinder.com/listing.asp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Reading this thread again I am suddenly reminded of Cripple Smash, a very odd little door game with a very odd sense of humor. It is sufficiently beloved that someone tried to resurrect it a few years ago, but of course the project seems to have stalled hard. I came very close to finishing it, but I could never figure out the continue code, and I pissed off the sysop a couple of times by dropping carrier rather than die (and have to start all over again).

I don't suppose this game rings any bells, does it? Have you seen it on any telnet boards?
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Reading this thread again I am suddenly reminded of Cripple Smash, a very odd little door game with a very odd sense of humor. It is sufficiently beloved that someone tried to resurrect it a few years ago, but of course the project seems to have stalled hard. I came very close to finishing it, but I could never figure out the continue code, and I pissed off the sysop a couple of times by dropping carrier rather than die (and have to start all over again).

I don't suppose this game rings any bells, does it? Have you seen it on any telnet boards?
    This may be it: http://www.archives.thebbs.org/ra91c.htm - Search for crip smash.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Legend of the Green Dragon is the only real modern BBS style game out there that I can think of. It's pretty much a .php version of the original Legend of the Red Dragon and is highly customizable.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    dgdgagdae

Quote Originally Posted by Thraka View Post
    Hi all, this is my first post

I actually went through a bunch of BBS info like 4 months ago. First off I have to say that if you enjoyed using BBS long ago, you'll really enjoy Jason Scott's BBS documentry. It is one of the best purchases I've ever made and it's really well made. He also has another documentry on Interactive Fiction (text adventure games). http://www.bbsdocumentary.com/
    Thanks to this post I just spent $85 on a couple of documentaries.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Um, Get Lamp has been legally made available in its entirely on Youtube.

The guy does good work, to be sure, but dropping that kind of money for a DVD is much further than I'd care to go.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    dgdgagdae

Um, Get Lamp has been legally made available in its entirely on Youtube.

The guy does good work, to be sure, but dropping that kind of money for a DVD is much further than I'd care to go.
    I'd much rather have a DVD than watch it on YouTube. Either I'm sitting at the computer or trying to stream through the XBox. And since I won't watch it in one sitting, there's the pain of remembering where I stopped, etc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Are you aware that it's quite possible to save movies from Youtube directly to your hard drive for watching later (or even for burning to a DVD)? There are a great many ways of doing so; I favor the DownloadHelper extension for Firefox.

Just sayin'; not everyone knows about this kind of thing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    dgdgagdae

Are you aware that it's quite possible to save movies from Youtube directly to your hard drive for watching later (or even for burning to a DVD)? There are a great many ways of doing so; I favor the DownloadHelper extension for Firefox.

Just sayin'; not everyone knows about this kind of thing.
    Even so, I'd much rather be able to sit on the sofa and watch a DVD on the big screen. It's worth it to me.