Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast

Thread: Biggest failure of a console

Strawberry (Level 2) tomaitheous's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2600 View Post
    I'd estimate maybe a third of all N64 owners had one.
    You mean what was left of the N64 user base by 2000/1? Nintendo loyalist fans, explains quite a bit. N64, GC (was rooting for the system myself for a while, until I took a hard look at what was going happen.. and it wasn't the GC that was going happen), and Wii. They all have/had their die-hard fans. Not sure if they're enough to qualify the n64 ram addon as 'successful' though.

How many games actually required the ram expansion pak? I remember the second Zelda game did, but that's all I can remember. LoL @ Nintendo for releasing that game super late in the game, let alone forcing whatever user base that was left to have the expansion pak. Way to milk that last bit of money from the n64, Nintendo. I wouldn't doubt the majority of the expansion sales were from that game.
    Tom: That third elephant is so elusive, ya know.
    NFG: Elephants are so unpredictable.
    Tom: Especially in groups of three.
    NFG: Two pairs of three, no less.

Insert Coin (Level 0) pepharytheworm's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Here's a list of all the games that used the expansion pak and only two had to use it.

Aidyn Chronicles: The First Mage
    All-Star Baseball 2001
    Armorines: Project S.W.A.R.M.
    Army Men: Sarge's Heroes
    Battlezone: Rise of the Black Dogs
    Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness
    Command & Conquer
    Cruis'n World
    Daikatana
    Donkey Kong 64 (had to have expansion)
    Duke Nukem: Zero Hour
    Extreme-G 2
    Excitebike 64
    F-1 World Grand Prix II
    Gauntlet Legends
    Hot Wheels
    Hybrid Heaven
    Hydro Thunder
    Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine
    International Track and Field 2000
    Jeremy McGrath's Supercross 2000
    Ken Griffey Jr.'s Slugfest
    The Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask (had to have expansion)
    Madden NFL '99
    Madden NFL 2000
    Mario Golf
    NBA Courtside 2
    NBA Jam 2000
    New Tetris, The
    NFL Quarterback Club '99
    NFL Quarterback Club 2000
    Nuclear Strike 64
    Perfect Dark (needs expansion for multi-player)
    Pokémon Stadium 2
    Quake 2
    Rayman 2: The Great Escape
    Re-volt
    Resident Evil 2
    Road Rash 64
    Roadsters
    San Francisco Rush 2049
    Shadow Man
    Spider-Man
    South Park
    South Park Rally
    StarCraft 64 (needs expansion for multi-player)
    Star Wars: Episode I: Battle for Naboo
    Star Wars: Episode 1: Racer
    Star Wars: Rogue Squadron
    The World Is Not Enough
    Tony Hawk's Pro Skater
    Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2
    Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3
    Top Gear Hyper-Bike
    Top Gear Overdrive
    Top Gear Rally 2
    Turok 2: Seeds of Evil
    Turok 3: Shadow of Oblivion
    Turok: Rage Wars
    Vigilante 8
    Vigilante 8: 2nd Offense
    World Driver Championship
    Xena: Warrior Princess: The Talisman of Fate

Thats roughly 20% or 1/5 of all US N64 games that used it. I guess you people feel the Ram Cart for the Saturn was stupid too.
    Last edited by pepharytheworm; 06-22-2010 at 12:26 AM.
    Where's my chippy? There's my chippy.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    buzz_retro64

Quote Originally Posted by pepharytheworm View Post
    Thats roughly 20% or 1/5 of all US N64 games that used it. I guess you people feel the Ram Cart for the Saturn was stupid too.
    You said it dude! The Playstation, and almost every system in the 90's and early 00's had some sort of add-on or extra feature added in their 2nd half or late in their life span.

Genesis - 32x/cd
    CD-i - Digital Video adapter
    Saturn - 3d pad/ram card
    Playstation - Dual Shock/Analog (Featured game- Ape Escape)
    N64 - Expansion Pak
    and so on...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho View Post
    Its Brazilian longevity is quite well-established and widely known; it even got perfectly legitimate ports of games that came out much later. Wikipedia should tell you more.
    They haven't released a Master System game on cartridge in years.

Arcade Card Compatible Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Here's a list of all the games that used the expansion pak and only two had to use it.
    Actually Perfect Dark required the RAM pak for the single player mode. Other than those 3 games that required it, I prefer not to use the RAM pak for those other titles since the games would run much faster without it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tomaitheous View Post
    You mean what was left of the N64 user base by 2000/1?
    The Expansion Pak was released in late 1998. Star Wars: Rogue Squadron, Turok 2: Seeds of Evil, Rayman 2: The Great Escape, and Top Gear Overdrive were the first games to use it.
    Last edited by Rob2600; 06-22-2010 at 07:10 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by todesengel View Post
    Actually Perfect Dark required the RAM pak for the single player mode. Other than those 3 games that required it, I prefer not to use the RAM pak for those other titles since the games would run much faster without it.
    I read that on wiki too, but my Perfect Dark works without it on single. I just couldn't get it to work multi. Maybe I am just remembering wrong. I will have to test again.

What games ran slower? I haven't played any that ran slower most either had just a visual upgrade or smoother frame rate. Never heard of it slowing down. Give me some examples so I can test them out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What games ran slower? I haven't played any that ran slower most either had just a visual upgrade or smoother frame rate. Never heard of it slowing down. Give me some examples so I can test them out.
    A few games got choppy at times in high-res mode. Off the top of my head: Turok 2, Hybrid Heaven, Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness, and Perfect Dark.

Rayman 2, Turok 3, Shadow Man, Top Gear Overdrive, Resident Evil 2, and Indiana Jones are some examples of N64 games that ran well in high-res mode.
    Last edited by Rob2600; 06-22-2010 at 10:09 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    TurboArkhan

Regardless of your opinion, the Expansion Pak was a successful add-on.
    It was a success in the same regard that the bigger 360 hard drive was a success. It's the only available option. lol.

They had plans for the thing from the get go. It should have just been there from the get go. More games early on wouldn't have sucked so hard probably.

Its not like they put the expansion port on it and were like "JUST IN CASE WE COME UP WITH SOMETHING LATER"

And according to your philosophy, the Multitap should've been included with - or built into - the PlayStation and PlayStation 2 from the get go, which I agree with.
    me too. but at least the multi tap wasn't REQUIRED to play games. Just needed it for >2 people.
    Aetherbyte: PC-Engine and more homebrew

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I read that on wiki too, but my Perfect Dark works without it on single. I just couldn't get it to work multi. Maybe I am just remembering wrong. I will have to test again.

I could have sworn that Perfect Dark would only let you play the multiplayer if you didn't have the RAM pak, definitely post about it if you have the time cause now I'm curious. As for games that ran slower choppier, out of the 3 games that I own that use the RAM pak Castlevania Legacy of Darkness (Rob2600 mentioned this one) and Duke Nukem Zero Hour both run pretty slow and choppy to the point that I turn off the high-res mode in both of them. The other game RAM pak game I own is Resident Evil 2 but I don't remember if that one ran slower or choppier, it's been a good while since I had the N64 hooked up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thats roughly 20% or 1/5 of all US N64 games that used it.
    If that's what qualifies it as a success, Sega CD was a success. More than 1/5 of all Sega 16-bit console games were either exclusive to Sega CD or had a Sega CD version.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    If that's what qualifies it as a success, Sega CD was a success. More than 1/5 of all Sega 16-bit console games were either exclusive to Sega CD or had a Sega CD version.
    Did I say that said it was a success. My point was it was utilized and not just a gimick or a "crock" as someone put it. I have no idea how many people had one but I am sure quite a lot did. By the way there is a big difference between a performance add-on and a console add-on. I am sure more people would have bought a sega CD if all it did was just make 1/5 of the games look better or run smoother. The Sega CD did sell over 5 million so not bad really could have been better though..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The other game RAM pak game I own is Resident Evil 2 but I don't remember if that one ran slower or choppier
    Resident Evil 2 ran perfectly in high-res mode. It featured Dolby Surround Sound, too. And I loved the analog control option...way better than the default "tank" controls. Angel Studios did an amazing job on that port and even outdid the CD-based PlayStation version.

Again, Rayman 2, Turok 3, Shadow Man, Top Gear Overdrive, Indiana Jones, and Star Wars: Battle for Naboo ran well in high-res mode, too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I could have sworn that Perfect Dark would only let you play the multiplayer if you didn't have the RAM pak, definitely post about it if you have the time cause now I'm curious.
    You need the Expansion Pak in order to access most of the contents including the solo missions. Without the Pak you can play the multiplayer challenges, the 1-to-2 player combat simulator with or without Simulants (up to 8).

Insert Coin (Level 0) danny_galaga's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by buzz_n64 View Post
    360 has it's flaws, but IN NO WAY is a failure, games sell, best online gaming experience, and many other great features. If the system was a true failure, it either would have only lasted a few years, or Microsoft's next system would've been out already. Just because you might not like the system for one reason or another doesn't put it at Nuon or Virtual Boy status.
    Try finding a properly functioning Xbox 360 ten years from now.

What does it matter if a console works ten years from now? It won't be making any more money for the manufacturer. Even CAR manufacturers don't count on much from their cars much after ten years- the rate at which people bother to spend money to repair them with genuine parts drops off very rapidly...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Console flops

Nintendo: Virtual boy
    Sega: Saturn
    Atari: Jaguar
    All were flops that financialy damaged the companys and crushed their reputations!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Seaquest View Post
    Nintendo: Virtual boy
    Sega: Saturn
    Atari: Jaguar
    All were flops that financialy damaged the companys and crushed their reputations!
    The Virtual Boy didn't damage Nintendo in anyway and in no way crushed their reputation. I could argue that the Saturn didn't destroy Sega either since it was a hit in Japan but that would just open up whole new argument.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Edward Randy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    Actually, Neo Geo also, because the price was so expensive it was a complete joke. My friends and I had yet another chuckle on that one.
    I would consider it a resounding success, considering it had a 10+ year run in a niche market.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by physics223 View Post
    I have the Casio Loopy. I'm wondering which was the bigger failure, that or its PV-1000 predecessor. The Loopy was a system targeted for girls but it didn't really take hold in Japan because most girls just weren't interested, I guess.
    I have a Loopy (though I didn't yet in June 2010 when this comment was posted; I got my Loopy December 25, 2012) - 400 bucks! I think it was the only one on eBay at the time so this thing didn't do very well. It's from Japan which will limit its availability in the USA but go on eBay and you'll be up to your eyeballs in successful Japanese consoles like the Famicom. Loopy probably sold a few hundred thousand at most.

As for BIGGEST failure, that would have to be the Memorex VIS. This was the console that tried to compete with the CD-i and failed miserably. Come on... how bad of a failure do you have to be, to "fail miserably" against the CD-i, which in turn failed miserably compared to the 3DO, which in turn saw very limited success compared to the Sega Genesis and Super Nintendo. The VIS sold just 10,000 units, and was on sale for only two months, November 1992 - January 1993 (gasp... I was born during that two month period) and had a game library that made the CD-i's look as rich and diverse as the SNES by comparison.
    Real collectors drive Hondas, Toyotas, Chevys, Fords, etc... not Rolls Royces.

Strawberry (Level 2) AdamAnt316's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

"Wize fwom your gwabe..."

I can't believe that nobody mentioned the Bentley Compu-Vision. A simple Pong clone, based around the GI AY-3-8500 Pong chip. Battery operated with fixed controllers, and a decent set of options for the usual 4 games. Pretty good for 1975 or 1976, right? Except... it was released in 1983! Not only were Pong systems several years out-of-date by that time, but the video game crash was rearing its ugly head. If Bentley didn't lose money on it, it's likely because the thing probably cost them around $2 to make...
    -Adam