Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sega Genesis Region Bypass Game Genie Codes

ServBot (Level 11) TonyTheTiger's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Sega Genesis Region Bypass Game Genie Codes

Ok, as most of us know, a lot of Genesis/Mega Drive games have software region lockouts making playing imports a pain in the ass if you don't have one of those rare and somewhat expensive Mega Key carts. The nice thing is that most of the time we can bypass the lockout with a Game Genie. The problem is that finding the right codes can be a challenge. A few months ago I was looking for some codes and realized that not only are a lot of games unaccounted for, but the codes that do exist are scattered across the far reaches of the web with no real cohesion. I was not able to find a single document that covered everything. In fact, I found that the vast majority of region locked games did not have codes at all as far as I could tell.

I decided to make up a document that served two purposes:

A) Provide a comprehensive list of all Genesis/Mega Drive games that are region locked in some form, AND
    B) Provide the requisite Game Genie codes for each and every game on the list.

I think I've come pretty close. I don't take credit for 100% of the codes listed. I had a bunch archived already since I had been using a lot of them. I filled in the blanks where I needed to.

One caveat is that I lack the resources to do this with real hardware so it was Gens to the rescue. That creates two problems. First, I can't be sure if all the codes even work on a real Genesis. Second, a few games don't run properly in Gens so I had to make some educated guesses.

I want this thread to be a place for both feedback and help. Gens is not perfect so as people use the codes it would be great if everybody could let me know what codes work or don't work on the actual hardware.

Likewise, absolutely let me know if I missed any games. I didn't go through the unlicensed games like the Hong Kong knockoff stuff ala Genesis versions of Mega Man X3, Soul Edge, etc. Reason being, when I tried it turned out that Gens has some problems running a lot of those games.

And finally, this is a list of the games I was unable to create some or any codes for:

1) Ren and Stimpy Show, The - Stimpy's Invention (I have codes for this but the PAL version will not play properly on NTSC hardware. It is unlikely a Game Genie can fix this but I'm just throwing it out there.)
    2) Ristar - The Shooting Star (Same as above except in this case the Japanese version does not play on PAL hardware.)
    3) Williams Arcade's Greatest Hits (This is one of those Gens problems. I need confirmation whether this game is actually region locked at all. Other emulators show it works fine on USA/Euro/Japan NTSC hardware but I'm interested in seeing if it works in the Japan PAL (Southeast Asia) region. Unfortunately only Gens supports that region.)
    4) World Championship Soccer II

So that's where I'm at. Four games that lack codes, two of which have problems I'm pretty sure can't be fixed with a Game Genie, and one I have a sneaking suspicion doesn't need any codes at all.

If anybody can help finish these up I'd appreciate it. Also, some of these games have pretty long codes, 4 and 5 codes long. If anybody can trim them down to 2 or 3 codes that would be great. I'll update the document as needed. Bring on the feedback and help me finish this up because I'm not good enough at HEX editing to crack these last few games.

So, yeah, take a look. Just a warning, it's 64 pages long.

TonyTheTiger's Sega Genesis Region Bypass Guide:
    http://www.mediafire.com/?zzyjzinuy2j
    Last edited by TonyTheTiger; 06-14-2010 at 06:56 PM. Reason: Updated document. Made codes for McDonald's Treasure Land Adventure, Tony H provided codes for Surging Aura and Top Gear 2.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    buzz_retro64

This is so awesome, I've been looking all over for something like this. Is there anything like this for Playstation gameshark original, or goldfinger codes, want to play U.S. games on my Jap. PS, and vice-versa.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow man, great work. I've had a Game Genie for YEARS, and never used it as a region converter, I have heard that it worked, but never knew where to find codes to do it. I wish I could help you, but all I can say is that I am amazed at what you have done.

I don't have a way of testing any of your codes out however, no Mega Drive games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Thanks. This took a surprisingly long time but it was worth it. I got fed up with not being able to play some games so I was like "fuck it, I'm doing it."

I wanted to make the document for everybody who needs to play any region game on any region hardware. So whether you have U.S. games and a Japanese Mega Drive, Japanese games and a European Mega Drive, or any other combination, this document will be the complete guide.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Theres a relatively small list floating around here somewhere. I'll see if I can find that so you can update your list.

EDIT: Considering your list is 64 pages long you most likely would have everything on the list I saw before.
    Last edited by The 1 2 P; 06-04-2010 at 02:29 AM.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You my dear sir are a god damn genius, thank you very much!
    zomg I have a sig

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Post this on GameFAQs.

Seriously.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Gasshu-kun

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Sniper View Post
    Post this on GameFAQs.

Seriously.
    Seconded. GameFaqs' list is nowhere near as good as this one.
    In Heaven, everything is fine.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I've seen all the lists I could find, yeah. And the one on GameFAQs is missing a lot. I'm pretty sure I've got the master list right here. I'm confident that even though Ren and Stimpy and Ristar have problems I've done all that's possible with a Game Genie. Some games just have PAL/NTSC compatibility issues and no codes are going to fix that. Once I get some codes for McDonald's, Surging Aura, and Top Gear 2 I'm pretty sure the list will be complete with the sole possibility that Williams Arcade doesn't work on Japan PAL consoles but I have a feeling it does.

I doubt any of the unlicensed games are region locked but if they are I'll add them to the list. Nevertheless, outside of those Chinese games, I've checked everything.

I also have no idea how to put this on GameFAQs or even if I'd want to since the formatting might get screwed up. And, for better or worse, the formatting is extremely important considering how the codes are laid out. But I don't have any principled objections to it outside of the fear people won't be able to read it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

You can upload "Formatted FAQs" - HTML FAQs. Save the thing to HTML and upload it! If you're using Word it's just a matter of saving as Web Page.
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I updated the document. I cracked McDonald's Treasure Land Adventure and made some minor changes.

That means we're down to three (possibly four) games in the entire library that don't have a complete set of region bypass codes.

Unfortunately some games will still have NTSC/PAL compatibility problems even with Game Genie. I hope we're not going to see many more of those but as reports come in from people using them on real hardware I'll update the guide. That's what this thread is for.

I went to GameFAQs to search out how to submit the guide but the rules section said that only .txt files are accepted. I got this error when I tried to submit:

**Error** Could not upload Sega Genesis Region Bypass Guide.htm
    GameFAQs does not accept HTML files for posting
    Last edited by TonyTheTiger; 06-05-2010 at 11:06 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Their help section says files with limited markup are allowed.

Man, I dunno. That site's gone downhill.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

It's no big deal. Hopefully the word spreads and people just come here to get it.

I figure I'll give a little insight into the problems I'm having with the remaining games in case a HEX wiz is browsing.

Let's ignore Ren & Stimpy and Ristar for a moment because, like I said, they have a full set of codes. They just have what I think is an unfixable NTSC/PAL incompatibility.

Let's also ignore Williams Greatest Hits because I'm pretty sure it's not region locked. I just have no way of testing it since Gens doesn't run the game and no other emulator has Japan PAL compatibility. So unless the Gens compatibility is fixed, Fusion adds in Japan PAL, or somebody has both the game and a Mega Drive from Singapore then I won't be able to make any progress there.

That leaves Surging Aura, Top Gear 2, and World Championship Soccer II.

World Championship Soccer...I think can be cracked. It's just that none of my methods have worked. It's probably just a matter of me not knowing enough.

I actually have codes for Surging Aura. I cracked the region lock but I'm hesitant to include the codes in the document because they're useless. I think this game has some kind of protection against the Game Genie itself. When using the codes the game will boot to the title screen and just lock up. I don't know how to stop that from happening.

Top Gear is even worse. I think the same kind of thing is going on here as with Surging Aura but it's a lot more dramatic. Top Gear just won't load when a code is active. I can't even follow the HEX because the code actually just stops running. It doesn't even branch to a different path which is the usual behavior. It just stops dead.

EDIT: Here are my Surging Aura codes in case anybody wants to see the problem. ALGA-AN9A + AK9A-AA7G.
    Last edited by TonyTheTiger; 06-06-2010 at 12:44 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Damn.

I don't have any import MD games but this is gonna come in handy for me someday.
    And don't bring up that stupid girlie Aladdin rip off! Shantea?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Famidrive-16 View Post
    Damn.

I don't have any import MD games but this is gonna come in handy for me someday.
    I don't either, but will soon enough. Now I don't have to worry about which has a lockout and which doesn't. My Game Genie has been used maybe 5 times in the last decade.

By the way if anyone just wants general Game Genie codes, this place is loaded.

http://www.gamegenie.com/cheats/game...sis/index.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Good news. You know how I said I needed somebody smarter than I am? Tony H over at Sega-16 is just that person and is working magic on the last few games. I think we might have a master document soon enough. Stay tuned.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sweet, keep up the good work guys.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I updated the document. Big thanks to Tony H over at Sega-16 for his help.

Updates: Codes for Surging Aura and Top Gear 2 plus some other minor changes.

At this point I don't know what else I can do. I don't think there's much either of us can do at this point. Neither I nor Tony H can crack World Championship Soccer II. In fact, even if we could, it would likely take more than 5 codes, the Game Genie's limit. I'm putting out an open call for anybody who can lend a hand. Even if the game needs 10 codes, I'd rather be able to list them than leave it blank.

Oddly enough, World Championship Soccer II is haunting me in more ways than one.

I've been through a bunch of fullsets so I don't know of any region locked games that I'm missing, if there are any...

That was until I saw in another thread that there's a European version of World Championship Soccer II titled "World Championship Soccer 2."
    http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=145339

This surprised me because the European version is not included in any of the fullsets that I've seen. Makes me wonder what other games I might be missing.

So, again, anybody who can offer any help it would be much appreciated. Right now, though, this is about as complete as the document can be.
    Last edited by TonyTheTiger; 06-14-2010 at 07:08 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I guess I need to re-download this then so I can have the final copy. Big thanks!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Excuse the bump but the guide is now on GameFAQs albeit aesthetically gimped. If anybody has trouble with the .rtf file a plain text version is available there.

With any luck the extra exposure will help finish out the last few games.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/genesis/916377-genesis/faqs
    Last edited by TonyTheTiger; 08-03-2010 at 11:21 AM.