Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    ServBot (Level 11) TonyTheTiger's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Sega Genesis Region Bypass Game Genie Codes

Ok, as most of us know, a lot of Genesis/Mega Drive games have software region lockouts making playing imports a pain in the ass if you don't have one of those rare and somewhat expensive Mega Key carts. The nice thing is that most of the time we can bypass the lockout with a Game Genie. The problem is that finding the right codes can be a challenge. A few months ago I was looking for some codes and realized that not only are a lot of games unaccounted for, but the codes that do exist are scattered across the far reaches of the web with no real cohesion. I was not able to find a single document that covered everything. In fact, I found that the vast majority of region locked games did not have codes at all as far as I could tell.

I decided to make up a document that served two purposes:

A) Provide a comprehensive list of all Genesis/Mega Drive games that are region locked in some form, AND
    B) Provide the requisite Game Genie codes for each and every game on the list.

I think I've come pretty close. I don't take credit for 100% of the codes listed. I had a bunch archived already since I had been using a lot of them. I filled in the blanks where I needed to.

One caveat is that I lack the resources to do this with real hardware so it was Gens to the rescue. That creates two problems. First, I can't be sure if all the codes even work on a real Genesis. Second, a few games don't run properly in Gens so I had to make some educated guesses.

I want this thread to be a place for both feedback and help. Gens is not perfect so as people use the codes it would be great if everybody could let me know what codes work or don't work on the actual hardware.

Likewise, absolutely let me know if I missed any games. I didn't go through the unlicensed games like the Hong Kong knockoff stuff ala Genesis versions of Mega Man X3, Soul Edge, etc. Reason being, when I tried it turned out that Gens has some problems running a lot of those games.

And finally, this is a list of the games I was unable to create some or any codes for:

1) Ren and Stimpy Show, The - Stimpy's Invention (I have codes for this but the PAL version will not play properly on NTSC hardware. It is unlikely a Game Genie can fix this but I'm just throwing it out there.)
    2) Ristar - The Shooting Star (Same as above except in this case the Japanese version does not play on PAL hardware.)
    3) Williams Arcade's Greatest Hits (This is one of those Gens problems. I need confirmation whether this game is actually region locked at all. Other emulators show it works fine on USA/Euro/Japan NTSC hardware but I'm interested in seeing if it works in the Japan PAL (Southeast Asia) region. Unfortunately only Gens supports that region.)
    4) World Championship Soccer II

So that's where I'm at. Four games that lack codes, two of which have problems I'm pretty sure can't be fixed with a Game Genie, and one I have a sneaking suspicion doesn't need any codes at all.

If anybody can help finish these up I'd appreciate it. Also, some of these games have pretty long codes, 4 and 5 codes long. If anybody can trim them down to 2 or 3 codes that would be great. I'll update the document as needed. Bring on the feedback and help me finish this up because I'm not good enough at HEX editing to crack these last few games.

So, yeah, take a look. Just a warning, it's 64 pages long.

TonyTheTiger's Sega Genesis Region Bypass Guide:
    http://www.mediafire.com/?zzyjzinuy2j
    Last edited by TonyTheTiger; 06-14-2010 at 06:56 PM. Reason: Updated document. Made codes for McDonald's Treasure Land Adventure, Tony H provided codes for Surging Aura and Top Gear 2.