Thread: What makes you feel best about playing video games?

Insert Coin (Level 0) BiggerBoo's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default What makes you feel best about playing video games?

And who's got enough time on their hands to type out and define that awesome feeling?
    What an annoying knock!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I dunno, that's a great question. I guess what makes me feel best about it, is that it's a temporary escape from life. Your temporary life is YOU in the game. You have a new life. Does that make any sense?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Perfect sense! I've always been just as into reading as I am in to video games, and it gives me that same feeling, like you're transporting yourself into a dimension that only exists in your memories from then on, but it's like the truth, like it really happened to you, and you love every minute of it...well, unless you're reading/playing a piece of shit.

Of course, even those have their charms. :P
    Last edited by BiggerBoo; 06-08-2010 at 01:22 AM.
    What an annoying knock!

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well I'd rather read than play in most situations, but hey.

It's mostly a way to kill time for me. Man, I feel jaded!
    "If each mistake being made is a new one, then progress is being made."

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    buzz_retro64

I'd actually rather watch tv or a movie. I view gaming as almost a chore nowadays. I enjoy collecting and reading about games more than playing them. What's wrong with me???

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by buzz_n64 View Post
    I'd actually rather watch tv or a movie. I view gaming as almost a chore nowadays. I enjoy collecting and reading about games more than playing them. What's wrong with me???
    That's some pretty heavy stuff, man, you might want to get that checked out!
    What an annoying knock!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Nostalgia, escape, discovering... I think it just stirs up the child inside me.... being a kid at heart. There's something cool about coming home from a long day, knowing your games are always there waiting for ya -- and best of all, they don't talk back

RVGFANATIC: SNES, Saturn, mad ramblings and more
    RELIVE | REMEMBER | REPLAY

Brand new URL!

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

My stance is the fun factor. The actual act of playing a well-designed game is great because it is fun to see yourself breezing through a game because of your skill at it. I even feel a sense of accomplishment for winning a battle in an 8-bit turn based RPG like Dragon Warrior 2 which yes I'm still working on after a year of playing a bit and letting it set there for months, then playing it, then letting it set there again.

I generally enjoy games I can finish without much problem and get angry at ones that I can't. I play the games I love over and over again, but if a frustrating game rubs me the wrong way (Yes I'm talking to you Battletoads!) that one is sold and passed on to someone who will enjoy it while I use the money for a more enjoyable game experience.
    Last edited by Rickstilwell1; 06-08-2010 at 05:09 AM.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Unfortunately, I know exactly what you mean. Tricky balancing "real life" with gaming. Growing up sucks.
    Sony, we will NEVER forget nor forgive. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0G0LlXv-nyI

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The fun factor obviously, but also gaming is a much needed escape from reality a lot of the time.

The Gentleman Thief Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    BalooDP
    Steam
    baloorj

It's all about the temporary escape, and then that experience when you play video games with friends. That gathering to compete and have fun.

Video games definitely aren't as much fun alone.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For me, some games are just about escaping into fantasy, but the ones that really keep me interested provide something different.
    I play fighting games online because I enjoy the challenge and learning new things, but also because it's strangely relaxing, almost meditative. Puzzle games provide a similar experience. Something magical happens when you devote certain parts of your brain to the game and let the rest just do as it will.
    There are times when I'm playing a game, and playing it well, and yet I'm barely even aware of what I'm doing. Being in that zone is a big part of what makes gaming so much more rewarding than any other media-related hobby.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Getting a stiffy
    U GAIZ JUST DONT LIKE CHANGE , (builds a artificial foundation here)

is neither blue nor fast thom_m's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    Nostalgia, escape, discovering... I think it just stirs up the child inside me.... being a kid at heart. There's something cool about coming home from a long day, knowing your games are always there waiting for ya -- and best of all, they don't talk back
    Very well put, man! This, and the fact that a good videogame will always provide one hell of a good time, be it alone, of with some good friends.

I host these videogame gatherings at my place once in a while and, although I admit it's funny to see a bunch of grown ups - some of them already parents - having a blast playing against each other while having some beer and talking shit....there aren't that many better places to be or things to do, specially in my town.
    Blowing on cartridges since 1987

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by poloplayr View Post
    Unfortunately, I know exactly what you mean. Tricky balancing "real life" with gaming. Growing up sucks.
    How far did you grow up? Hahaha, I'm finding that as my career advances, I'm actually playing games more. There's something about playing them on a nightly basis that makes me forget I am accruing vacation time, or that some people feel like they need to. Maybe it's this kind of mindset that kept me in the hotel rooms as a kid, playing Final Fight on the TV system until I was forced down by my parents to whatever extra-curricular thing we were doing at the time?
    What an annoying knock!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You can't beat that felling when you get through some bit of a game that you got hung up on. You die like 15 times and then you make it. I love that feeling even more than the pleasure I get when I dominate other games as Rickstilwell described above.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Being able to interact within a creation of someone else's imagination -- as I'm too lazy to use my own.

I also like bloops and bleeps.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This is my problem as well. I buy games that sound interesting, but can't bring myself to get into very many. Now, I'm finally pushing myself to finish everything, and it feels masochistic at times.

I remember when I was a kid, playing anything was amazing. Now, nothing feels amazing. Mega Man 10 was probably the closest thing to an escape I've felt in a long time, and that was only on the first playthrough. The next day, Mega Man 10 was hard and not nearly as enjoyable.

When a game is challenging, but you find yourself performing above average and pressing forward, it's fun. You're conquering something. When the story is good, it's fun.

The first playthrough of a game is usually the most enjoyable. Replaying anything will rarely match the enjoyment you felt when you didn't know what was going to happen. Playing Deus Ex for the first time was one of the best weeks I can remember. Since, I've tried to replay it so many times, but never get more than half through before losing interest.

I've never felt enjoyment at success after repeated failures. If I've failed something enough times, success is supposed to come. Frustration does not lead to satisfaction, at least not for me.

I really don't know what makes gaming enjoyable for me today. It's gotten harder to find over the years.

Strawberry (Level 2) Streetball 21's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Playing video games are one of my ways of relaxing after a hard day of work. Like many of you said, you can play video games and get away from everything and put all worries aside. It's something that has always been with me and more than likely always will.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I like introducing my kids to games for the Atari 2600, ColecoVision, NES, and other old systems. Sometimes they are surprised by how much fun they are. The past couple of days, I've been playing Kaboom! with my 12-year-old daughter, and she loves it.