Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nebagram
    PSN
    Nebagram

Default Weird SCART problem

Afternoon all

I should mention before we kick off I'm in Europe, and thus have a PAL TV- I'm in need of assistance with a weird problem I'm having with consoles attached by a SCART lead to my HDTV. For some reason, the picture I get off the screen is phenomenally dark and monotone to the point where the console is effectively unuseable. Sound is unaffected and if you squint you can just about make out a menu screen but other than that, nothing. For some odd reason, composite red/white/yellow cables attached via a SCART adaptor work fine- it's just the chevron-shaped SCART adaptors that dick about like this.

Here are a couple of pictures that demonstrate- neither of these pictures have been altered in any way, this is genuinely what's coming off the screen-

www.nebagram.co.uk/IMG_0105.JPG and www.nebagram.co.uk/IMG_0106.JPG

Any thoughts?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nebagram View Post
    Afternoon all

I should mention before we kick off I'm in Europe, and thus have a PAL TV- I'm in need of assistance with a weird problem I'm having with consoles attached by a SCART lead to my HDTV. For some reason, the picture I get off the screen is phenomenally dark and monotone to the point where the console is effectively unuseable. Sound is unaffected and if you squint you can just about make out a menu screen but other than that, nothing. For some odd reason, composite red/white/yellow cables attached via a SCART adaptor work fine- it's just the chevron-shaped SCART adaptors that dick about like this.

Here are a couple of pictures that demonstrate- neither of these pictures have been altered in any way, this is genuinely what's coming off the screen-

www.nebagram.co.uk/IMG_0105.JPG and www.nebagram.co.uk/IMG_0106.JPG

Any thoughts?
    TV's with scart adapters can be weird

SCART is sometimes confusing for consumers. Some TV sets that have multiple SCART connectors have only one capable of receiving RGB and the other one capable of receiving S-video. Also, not all SCART cables make use of all the pins, often leaving out RGB signals. In many cases there is also no way to see which type of signal is currently displayed on the TV set. However, because of compatibility with set top boxes, at least one SCART socket must be full-featured, i.e. both issue and accept composite video, and accept RGB video.
    I'm assuming you want to use scart for the rgb - make sure you have a cable fully wired for an rgb signal (and depending on the region of the console, some of the components in the cable itself can differ) and that your tv will accept rgb input from its scart source.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It looks like to me that your scart cables are wired for RGB Scart and the TV doesnt support RGB. More then likely this is the case if a composite to scart adapter works., Scart offers RGB but it also offers a composite signal, it all depends on the wiring.

If you buy a Scart Cable for the Dreamcast, like in your picture, it is wired for RGB and it appears the TV doesnt support an RGB signal.

I hope this makes some sense and gets you out of trouble!
    zomg I have a sig