Thread: That Nostalgic Feeling of Seeing Old Save Files...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    haasinhampton

Default That Nostalgic Feeling of Seeing Old Save Files...

Does anyone else get a really cool feeling inside, when they see an old save file on a game. Not their own I am talking about, but someone elses. Everytime I test a super mario 64 cartridge I just get a special feeling, picturing someone just like myself at that age sitting their on a nice summer day playing some n64. I know I am weird.
    Autobots. Roll out.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Not weird at all! I also will buy an old PSX memory card and pop it in to see how the previous owner was doing in a game. Same with used Xboxes. I'll check out the save files on the harddrive. I also like to pop in old memory cards and check out my own gamesaves from games I haven't touched in years.

Insert Coin (Level 0) AllP0werToSlaves's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The feeling of nostalgia is one of the best parts of classic gaming. I always love thinking back to when I first got my Genesis and how it kick started my gaming career; those days were pure gold.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nesmaster
    PSN
    Nesman

The best saves are your own old carts that you've had kicking around for as long as you can remember. Remembering how much time you have invested into each little piece of solid gold of our past. Now that is special and something nobody should forget.

I'm itching to fire up my GoldenEye just to see what kinda times I managed to finish all those levels in many moons ago. I had so much fun wrecking that game that it would be a CRIME AGAINST HUMANITY!!! to not re-release it on the XBLA and Wiivicon. Quit arguing over paper and make it happen already ffs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

When I transfered all my PSone game saves to my PS3...Memories

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Totally agreed - whenever I got lots in with a PS Card, I'd look them all over.

Part of the charm in working at a game store is when folks trade in Wiis / PS3s / DSis / 360s and we have to reformat 'em. Seeing all the old school games on the Wii always gets a conversation started, especially if it's the more obscure ones (like Neo Geo and TG16).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's pretty cool when you get an old game and someone has written secret codes, or passwords on a little paper and put it inside the case.

I found a love letter once in the $5 Atari lot I scored at a garage sale. Who knows how old that was. It was sitting underneath all the carts in the "Video Game Center" thingy.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Azathoth1488
    PSN
    Azathoth_IKA
    3DS Friend
    4313-0753-9074

Whenever I load up a save that displays the date it was last saved on, I'm usually amazed that I hadn't played the game in that long.

It's not uncommon for me to load a game up and it be dated 5-10 years ago yet I'm under the impression that there's no way that much time has passed.

Professional Geek Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Yeah, I've got a game save for Albert Odyssey: Legend of Eldean on an official Saturn memory card for a session I started back in 1997.

It's right at the final end boss. I just never got around to finishing it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I still have my save file for Castlevania Symphony of the Night for PS1, from when it was new back in the day which was in the late 90's? I just can't convince myself to delete it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A couple of years ago when I got back into video games I popped in Baseball Stars for the NES that I owned when I was a kid. I couldn't believe it still had my team on it. My roster consisted of Greg Maddux, Mitch (Wild Thing) Williams, Andre Dawson, Ryne Sandberg, Jerome Walton, Dwight Smith, Shawon Dunston, Mark Grace, and a few other players from the 1989 Cubbies. Now that was awesome. I still own the same game to this day and that team is still on it and I still play it. Wow, that's 21 years now playing the same game save.

Just out of curiosity, anyone have a similar experience playing the same game file for so long?

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by garagesaleking!! View Post
    Does anyone else get a really cool feeling inside, when they see an old save file on a game.
    I like that feeling when I see those old save files on my SNES RPGs, like Final Fantasy II or III, Secret of Mana... deleting them is almost like throwing away an old relic of your past.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldskool View Post
    It's pretty cool when you get an old game and someone has written secret codes, or passwords on a little paper and put it inside the case.
    When I imported a copy of Valis IV for the PC Engine , it came with some secret codes handwritten in Japanese on Urusei Yatsura stationary. I got the image of an authentic otaku, from the early 90s, waiting in line to get his hands on the new Gundam mecha designs or or putting lots of detail into a garage kit.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Depends on what it is. These days, once I'm completely done with a PS1/PS2/Gamecube game, I'll delete the same to make space for other things (unless the game is crazy hard/long, like with Mario Sunshine, Tales of Symphonia and Smash Bros Melee).

Old cartridge games, however, I'll leave those alone until the battery dies. My Mischief Makers save still has me listed as 13, as I got it on my 13th birthday.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Quote Originally Posted by Gameboy Color View Post
    I'll delete the same to make space for other things.
    I've never deleted a save file in my life (intentionally). That's what new memory cards are for.

Before the PS3, I saved all my PS saves to my computer via a Dexdrive. I should have some save files going on 13 years by now. Not that it matters much, I don't even have computer that can connect to the damn thing anymore.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I didn't own really any games growing up, was a PC gamer and played console stuff at other people's homes or emulated. It's been a good while since I have bought a save enabled game or memory card. A few times I was curious how far along they were in a game, sometimes a bit depressing they went practically nowhere and probably despised a good game. Either way a save will be cleared out unless it was at a final boss or stage of some sort to have an idea of where to be at by that point or an estimated hours required to progress through. Now as for PC, I stumble across old saves stored on floppy back-ups, like Oregon Trail where 5 minutes into the game you stumble across the tomb stone of "Butt Hole." Some of the old DOS games were small enough to just copy the saves into a folder and put it back on the shelf, so that was always nice. One of my Pentium 2 laptops has a bunch of those old games stashed away so I can pull them back up anytime and progress farther until that little 2GB HDD fails, but still can always transfer back off onto floppy.
    [Website] [Gallary] [Games List] [DP Feedback]

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I love it when you can tell the personality of the previous owner. One of the past owners of my Super Punch Out cart had a lot of siblings/friends (the cart and rankings were filled with names), and one of 'em had the same idea as me about Gabby Jay: we beat him over and over until we could knock him out in just a few seconds .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I looked at the saves on a Sega CD memory cart I had, and it had nothing on it but rare games I don't have. Snatcher, Popful Mail, et cetera. Bummer.

I've picked up a few Sega VMUs and other Dreamcast third-party memory cards, and it seems they're often filled with sports game saves. Sad. They bought such a great console and did nothing with it but play the most basic, intellectually devoid games available for the system.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by heybtbm View Post
    I've never deleted a save file in my life (intentionally). That's what new memory cards are for.
    I've thought that too, but I was running on limited funds when I was a kid. The way it is, I still only have 2 PS1 cards, 2 Gamecube cards and one PS2 card. Once I dumped the data I didn't need any more, I found that these five cards were more than enough.

Then again, I saw a friend a few weeks ago using a PS2 harddrive as a memory card backup. Looked real spiffy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

I have a 12 year old Kings Field save on my PS1 card that's useless because the game let me sell a very important key, so I can't open a gate or something that leads to the last area of the game. I also have a Parasite Eve save that's around 10 years old and has some pretty suped up weapons, there's also the FF8 save that's only a few hours into the game.

Breaking Bad 3x02 - Caballo Sin Nombre