Thread: Insuring your game collection

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Insuring your game collection

Part II in my "Moving XC and worried about my gaming collection"

So since my gf and I are moving from Vermont (in a town where the doors are unlocked 24/7) to Chicago, I am starting to feel that insuring my collection against damage / theft is a wise move.

I totaled up everything I own, based upon the cost to replace it, and NOT the cost I paid for it (since some things I got on crazy lucky deals, and couldn't replicate if I tried) and ended up with a figure of about $12,000.

My question...has anyone else insured their collection on renters insurance? I have never owned any insurance other than on my car, since in VT, things like theft are so rare where I live, it would really just be a waste of money.

I am just concerned about a) someone stealing my shit and b) some idiot who lives above me leaving the water / candle on...resulting in a flood / fire (guess I just don't trust people to be responsible haha)

I just want protection on my investment. Its taken alot of time and cash to build up

Any advice would be appreciated!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SloshyCape0

Sure, get yourself some renters insurance or just insure your collection. Make sure you have everything written down and snap some pictures.

I did about a year ago against fire/theft just on my gameroom, mostly because of a pool-table purchase. I have it seperately insured for about 10K (Everything in the room that is). It costs us an average of about $14 a month, not a bad trade off IMHO.Of course it would cost more to replace EVERYTHING if it was destroyed or stolen but it's a little piece of mind anyway's.

The big thing is to make sure you keep track of what's in there and put the journal/pics in a Fire box or someplace safe in case the worse happens. I can't imagine renters insurance on particular belongings would cost that much more...
    Last edited by The Shawn; 06-14-2010 at 10:51 AM.

Apple (Level 5) Shadow Kisuragi's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Renter's Insurance only covers up to a certain amount. I had a flood (4" of standing water came rushing out of my apartment) and Renter's Insurance covered very little of my collection...fortunately, I'm paranoid and had almost everything in plastic tubs. Only some of my SNES games were damaged because the tub was old and had a hole in it I wasn't aware of.

If you're going to insure, make sure it's a separate policy from the Renter's Insurance unless they're willing to cover the amount you want.