Thread: MAME32 Help

Peach (Level 3) Pop Culture Portal's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default MAME32 Help

OK, I thought I'd give this MAME thing a whirl. I downloaded MAME32 (not "regular" MAME because I'm an idot when it comes to DOS based anything) here at work and played a little Pac-Man. So I won't run the risk of loosing my job, I thought it would be great to play Pac-Man at home on a spare computer I have. My work computer and the spare at home are pretty much the same hardware and system wise. I take MAME32 home, unzip it, and put the Pac-Man rom in the correct folder, and the rom check fails (no playing Pac-Man for me).

Well, thinking I got a bad rom, I go to work and download Pac-Man again, as well as Donkey Kong, Centipede, and a few other oldies. They all run at work, but only two run on my computer at home (Pac-Man now works).

I realize there are "parent" roms and "sub" roms that rely on the "parent" roms to run (I know that's not quite the right terminology). I have nothing but "parent" roms.

So, anybody have any idea what the heck I'm doing wrong or am I just as big a Windows idiot as I am a Dos idiot?

Also, I love playing mahjong and I see there are quite a few mahjong roms to be had. My question is, how do you play these mahjong roms by using a computer keyboard? I remember seeing a coin-op mahjong game in NYC years ago while I was on vacation. And from what I remember, there were ALOT of buttons. Which key on a computer keyboard corresponds to the right mahjong tile? Are there instructions out there for playing these type of roms?
    All right youngens, bath time. Cover up your eyes and drop your britches! Who wants wax?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

for your first problem,

download your roms from www.mame.dk they list all the files you need to play the rom you want.

for your second problem,

No clue. I would die if i even learned how to play mahjong, too complicated

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Well, In order to see the currently configured controls, you just have to press Tab while playing a game to bring up a menu. (There's a lot of different arcade games out there with a lot of different button combinations, after all.)
    ________
    Vaaapp
    Last edited by J'orfeaux; 04-01-2011 at 05:33 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yep, press TAB, then select "Input (This Game)" to see the control configuration for the Mahjong game, or any other for that matter. I think in general the controls in Mahjong correspond to the letters on the keyboard. i.e. The tiles marked 'a', 'b', 'c', correspond to a, b, c on the keyboard with the alt, ctrl, and space keys doing some other mahjong function. I think 'z' is used as well.. just check.

As far as the roms go.. you just got bad roms probably. Try highlighting the game and do an ALT-A, that will audit the game real quick and tell you if it's missing files within the zip, or if the rom is simply not found. Most likely you just got bad roms. Like they said above, download them at mame.dk. Or if you know how to get on usenet, I highly recommend alt.binaries.emulators.mame and alt.binaries.emulators.misc

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

http://mahjonginmame.nm.ru/

This site is all about playing Mahjongg in MAME.

Peach (Level 3) Pop Culture Portal's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for the input guys!
    All right youngens, bath time. Cover up your eyes and drop your britches! Who wants wax?